Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK853 MU-MIMO, Daisy Chain etc settings missing from admin portal (need to fix wifi drops)

TanujB
Tutor

Orbi RBK853 MU-MIMO, Daisy Chain etc settings missing from admin portal (need to fix wifi drops)

Hi there, I just got the RBK853. I keep getting few specific devices kicked off wifi (an iPhone 11, iPad and recent/newer Win10 laptop). 

I looked up and found some good ideas on the netgear forum but not seeing the settings such as Daisy Chain (disable), MU-MIMO (Enable) etc. I am accessing the Advanced settings by 192.168.1.1 Ux and have the latest firmware. 

Appreciate any pointers. Has Netgear taken these settings off this portal? 

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK853 MU-MIMO, Daisy Chain etc settings missing from admin portal (need to fix wifi drops)

For Orbi AX it seems NG has removed those settings. I beleieve they are automatic now. I have tested Daisy Chain and it does work when RBS are placed out in a line from the RBR. 

Message 2 of 12
TanujB
Tutor

Re: Orbi RBK853 MU-MIMO, Daisy Chain etc settings missing from admin portal (need to fix wifi drops)

Thanks. I tried your suggestions from other posts of short preamble and disabling the coexistance of 20/40. I've left WMM enabled for now. I will report back if that helps. 

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. I've not seen any problems with v32 FW loaded. Using CTS 64 as well. Though you can change this to 2347 and test it out. NG seems to feel that his value isn't recommended anymore for Orbi AX. You can revert back to 64 if you need to. 

Message 4 of 12
TanujB
Tutor

Thanks. Can CTS threshold lead to dropped wifi connection? Thought that was more about wifi performance vs drops? Also, are you suggesting going to the max on CTS or somewhere higher than 64? 

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes CTS can lead to dropped wifi connections. Try 2347. 

Also try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Message 6 of 12
TanujB
Tutor

Ok. I'll give these a shot if the problem persists. For now, I've upped the CTS to 500. Thanks much for all the tips. Really appreciate this! 

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 12
asuna
Aspirant

Did upping the CTS to 500 work?

Also, when your wifi drops is it because your satellites are switching to daisy chain from star or vice versa?

I am currently having a similar problem. I don't want my satellites to daisy chain, although most of the time they don't. However when satellite 2 randomly decides to chain to satellite 1 instead of getting connection directly from the router, it causes a quick wifi drop. This may be unnoticebale for some but when online gaming I lag when the switch happens.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
I

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. Placement and distance from RBR will be key to the system using Diasy Chain or not. 

What happens if you turn OFF 1 of the RBS? Still notice anything? 

@asuna wrote:

Did upping the CTS to 500 work?

Also, when your wifi drops is it because your satellites are switching to daisy chain from star or vice versa?

I am currently having a similar problem. I don't want my satellites to daisy chain, although most of the time they don't. However when satellite 2 randomly decides to chain to satellite 1 instead of getting connection directly from the router, it causes a quick wifi drop. This may be unnoticebale for some but when online gaming I lag when the switch happens.

Message 10 of 12
TanujB
Tutor

Hi there, what helped me is all under the Advanced tab on the web interface 

1. Uncheck "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence" 

And for both 2.4 and 5Ghz set

1. CTS: 256
  2. Preamble mode: Short

Reboot the router and satellites. Wait a day or so to check on stability. My setup is super stable since I arrived at these changes after trial and error.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for posting your experiences. Hopefully this will be helpful. 

@TanujB wrote:

Hi there, what helped me is all under the Advanced tab on the web interface 

1. Uncheck "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence" 

And for both 2.4 and 5Ghz set

1. CTS: 256
  2. Preamble mode: Short

Reboot the router and satellites. Wait a day or so to check on stability. My setup is super stable since I arrived at these changes after trial and error.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7