Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR850 - Variable Speed on devices

clintonbrown178
Aspirant

Orbi RBR850 - Variable Speed on devices

Obri RBR850 with one satellite unit connected.

When using the speed test functionality within the Orbi App, I achieve the following speeds:

• Download: 273.89 Mbps
  • Upload: 23.96 Mbps

When speed testing on devices connected to the WIFI, speeds average:

• Download: 5 - 9 Mbps
  • Upload 23 - 25 Mbps
  • tested devices include Smart TV, PC and iPhone.

Above tests were completed within one metre of the Orbi unit and a few minutes apart. 

Whilst this is an ongoing problem, it only happens sporadically across the day.

Any suggestions on what could be causing the slow speeds on the devices? 

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR850 - Variable Speed on devices

Speed reported by the Orbi app comes from the Orbi router.  There is a version of Ookla Speed Test included in the router firmware that actually performs the test and the results are reported via the app.  Nothing actually measures speed on the device running the app.  (The speed test app can be run directly on the router using the Orbi web interface.  See page 106 of the user manual:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK852/RBK852_UM_EN.pdf )

It would be a good idea to repeat the router speed test several times to determine whether it remains relatively constant over time or varies.

With an internet speed over 200Mbps, something is wrong if WiFi devices consistently report speeds under 10Mbps.  On this system, I would expect both the PC and the iPhone to report the same speed as the router.

Diagnosing intermittent issues can be really difficult.  It could be that some WiFi device is blasting away at certain times and consuming most of the WiFi capability.

Message 2 of 4
clintonbrown178
Aspirant

Thank you for taking the time to provide your response, its very helpful.

Is there a way to get visibility of what devices could be 'sucking up the WIFI'?

I have about 40 devices connected to the WIFI in total and about 10-15 showing as 'online' at any one time. This was the case when i ran the speed tests this morning (speeds I have provided).

As a follow up example, testing again as i write this response, the speed shown in the Orbi App is matching that on my PC and iPhone.

Thanks Clinton 

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

2.4G WiFi can be affected by any number of things (microwave ovens, cordless phones, etc. etc.)  I am 99% certain that the computer and iPhone WiFi connections are on the 5G band which is less affected.  (This would be verified using the Orbi 'app' or the web interface Attached Devices screen.)

It would probably be a good idea to log when this happens and how long the situation persists.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7