Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RB850 Fast Roaming

MoVancouver
Aspirant

RB850 Fast Roaming

My new Orbi RBK852 is now almost working except a MacBook Pro that continuously drops the connection (and I have to turn wifi off/on on the MacBook).

Community postings have suggested I turn off Fast Roaming.

The orbilogin.com interface does not show the Fast Roaming setting.  How do I turn it off? 

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RB850 Fast Roaming

Fast Roaming is automatic on Orbi AX.  No user configuration. 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Also what is the model of the mac device and OS loaded on it? 

Message 3 of 7
MoVancouver
Aspirant

Thank you for your follow-up questions.  We have actually discussed my Orbi issues in another thread.

My house isn't that big, about 3600 s.f. but it is spread out, so had some dead zones.  The Orbi with Satellite provides excellent covereage (but I've unplugged the Satellite due to the Macbook issues - it drops the connection less often when the Satellite is not plugged in; it would switch between RBR and RBS even then when the RBS was only 6 feet away).  

The Orbi RBR850 firmware has been ugraded to 3.2.16.6 (I have only recentrly purchased the Orbi router).

The Shaw (ISP) modem is Hitron CGNM-2250 and is in Bridge mode.

I think the solution probably lies in fiddling with the MacBook, as the other 14 devices are fine now.  The Macbook was recently upgraded to the latest OS (Big Sur).  The Macbook model is MPXQ2LL/A (13.3") and was purchased August 2017.

I have a case open with Netgear, but they just want to keep re-installing, resetting and reloading things ("step 1" in their "manual").

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear, your not the only one seeing this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBS850-device-disconnects/m-p/1985255/highlight/true#M8029

You can post about this here as well if you wish. 

Thought seems that recenly I'm not seeing this in the past couple of weeks. Mac Book Pro for me in the living room has been keeping connected. 

Message 5 of 7
MoVancouver
Aspirant

@FURRYe38  I'm wondering if it's something on the MacBook.  Can you think of any settings or adjustments or updates on the MacBook Pro that might help?

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Might try updatig to v22:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-Firmware-Out-Today/m-p/2005684/highlight/true#M9268

Nothing on the Mac that can be adjusted...

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7