Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK852: WAN Bonding with 4G Modem

PedroCavaleiro
Follower

RBK852: WAN Bonding with 4G Modem

I'm planing to buy an Orbi RBK852 Mesh Wifi 6 one of the things that is taking me interest on this specific model is the Mesh and WAN Aggregation

So my question before I buy is the following
I plan using this with multiple 4G modems to achive WAN bonding, from the help page I can see that the RBK852 supports this function but the modem must also support Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP)

So is it possible to use multiple 4G Modems that have LACP support to use the WAN Aggregation?
If so can somone tell me if the NETGEAR LM1200 has LACP support (I can't find a reference anywhere) and if not some recommendations on brands that manufacture modems with this support

Thank you in advance

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK852: WAN Bonding with 4G Modem

The link aggregation described here is not what you are seeking.  It is to allow one router to connect to one modem using multiple gigabit links.  What you are seeking is to have two modems, which most of us would describe as "failover" or "redundancy".  Netgear Orbi routers are not capable of this.

There are routers from other companies, such as Ubiquiti, which can connect to multiple internet sources and use them both to feed one local network.  And, there are LTE modems which can use the LTE connection as a failover in case the primary ISP connection goes down.

(This is probably not what you wanted to hear.)

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Review the LM1200 spec sheet or user manual to see if it supports WAN LAG. 

WAN LAG requires the use of a signal modem device that has two WAN ports that supports LAG. 

@PedroCavaleiro wrote:

I'm planing to buy an Orbi RBK852 Mesh Wifi 6 one of the things that is taking me interest on this specific model is the Mesh and WAN Aggregation

I plan using this with multiple 4G modems to achive WAN bonding, from the help page I can see that the RBK852 supports this function but the modem must also support Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP)

So is it possible to use multiple 4G Modems that have LACP support to use the WAN Aggregation?
If so can somone tell me if the NETGEAR LM1200 has LACP support (I can't find a reference anywhere) and if not some recommendations on brands that manufacture modems with this support

Thank you in advance

Message 3 of 5
Morissette238
Aspirant

There are routers from other companies, such as Ubiquiti, which can connect to multiple internet sources and use them both to feed one local network. And, there are LTE modems which can use the LTE connection as a failover in case the primary ISP connection goes down.

@MyBalanceNow wrote:

Thank you in advance

Message 4 of 5
Marnli789
Aspirant

@Morissette238 wrote:

There are routers from other companies, such as Ubiquiti, which can connect to multiple internet sources and use them both to feed one local network. And, there are LTE modems which can use the LTE connection as a failover in case the primary ISP connection goes down.

@ACE Flare Account wrote:

Thank you in advance

You should check this out https://kb.netgear.com/000061324/How-do-I-set-up-WAN-aggregation-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-6-System 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7