Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR 850 and RBS 850 - What is correct firmware at this point to enable web login after recent issues

chucko73
Aspirant

RBR 850 and RBS 850 - What is correct firmware at this point to enable web login after recent issues

I did a reset and was able to login briefly (on 5/15). I am able to access by Orbi App on android. No joy on iPad App or PC web browser. Before I do a full reset again, I thought I should ask.... what firmware version should I be looking for on the units? Right now the Orbi App reports 4.6.8.2 on RBR and 4.6.3.16 on both RBS. 

I am guessing that there is a right version and that I need to get it on all of the satellites as well...?

Network is functioning but I am not able to get into restoring static IPs etc... and I know that things aren't right.

The Orbis have been great for almost 2 years, but this problem comes at a really bad time. (No surprise)

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR 850 and RBS 850 - What is correct firmware at this point to enable web login after recent is

Do you still have v.2 FW files by chance? 

I know NG pulled the v2 version however we believe that's working if manually installed. 

If your RBR is at v2 and the RBS are at v.16, I guess grab the RBR file for this version and down grade to it. Another user mentioned they downgraded and had no problems. 

I recommend that when you do, get the file on a local wired PC first. Disconnect the RBR from the ISP modem or ONT. 

Factory reset by pressing the reset button for 15-20 seconds, then release. 

Use MS Edge, FireFox or Opera and point to HTTP and 192.168.1.1. This should bring up the Orbi app screen on the browser. Scroll down to the bottom and select don't have a mobile device. Should start the setup process. You can go thru the process with out having the RBR connected. Once at the home screen go in and send the v.16 RBR FW file that you unpacked from the .zip file. 

Message 2 of 6
L1Wulf
Aspirant

Re: RBR 850 and RBS 850 - What is correct firmware at this point to enable web login after recent is

Completely anecdotal and I only came across this AFTER stumbling through things on my own...

I am on v.2 and had been noticing a LOT of random issues but hadn't tried logging into my RBR850 until recently (a week or so).  I managed to log in and immediately made a backup of my settings then started pouring through settings and logs.  A lot of things seemed off.  Strange devices connected -- at least there seemed to be strange devices based on names.  I have reserved IPs for everything (which is A LOT of devices) and I noticed devices were connected to reserved IPs but with different names.  OK, really strange... I wanted to better understand what might be going on -- was I hacked? Did the router glitch? No clue. 

I didn't have the time to mess with things at that time.  I did a reboot and the issue I was seeing (streaming TV) cleared up.  Skip forward a couple of days and I returned to take another quick look.  Weirdly, my satellites were showing disconnected.  But I knew I had devices connected to WiFi on those devices (one wired backhaul the other WiFi) and those seemed to be working fine.  I dug around some more but couldn't understand what was going on.

Today I determined I would just do a complete reset and either manually restore or use my backup.  I couldn't log into the RBR850.  Reboot.  Nope. Unplug and sit for 5 minutes for both modem and router.  Now I lost internet and still couldn't log into the router.  Great.

I took a pin and did a hard reset on the RBR850 (pressed for about 5-10 seconds - waited until the power light started flashing).  After a while I was able to see the setup page. I used the Orbi app (Android), removed my old device config and clicked on New Setup.  This went smoothly but it failed to detect my satellites.  I took the pin and hard reset these and rescanned.  Bingo.

After I finished the configuration I went ahead and restored from my backup with the thought that if things go south, I'll just repeat the process and reconfigure by hand.

It's been about an hour and everything seems to be back on point - still on v.2.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but if you're completely stuck, it's worth a shot.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, it's recommended to press the reset button for 15-20 seconds then release. This ensures to trigger the full on factory reset. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

@L1Wulf wrote:

Completely anecdotal and I only came across this AFTER stumbling through things on my own...

I am on v.2 and had been noticing a LOT of random issues but hadn't tried logging into my RBR850 until recently (a week or so).  I managed to log in and immediately made a backup of my settings then started pouring through settings and logs.  A lot of things seemed off.  Strange devices connected -- at least there seemed to be strange devices based on names.  I have reserved IPs for everything (which is A LOT of devices) and I noticed devices were connected to reserved IPs but with different names.  OK, really strange... I wanted to better understand what might be going on -- was I hacked? Did the router glitch? No clue. 

I didn't have the time to mess with things at that time.  I did a reboot and the issue I was seeing (streaming TV) cleared up.  Skip forward a couple of days and I returned to take another quick look.  Weirdly, my satellites were showing disconnected.  But I knew I had devices connected to WiFi on those devices (one wired backhaul the other WiFi) and those seemed to be working fine.  I dug around some more but couldn't understand what was going on.

Today I determined I would just do a complete reset and either manually restore or use my backup.  I couldn't log into the RBR850.  Reboot.  Nope. Unplug and sit for 5 minutes for both modem and router.  Now I lost internet and still couldn't log into the router.  Great.

I took a pin and did a hard reset on the RBR850 (pressed for about 5-10 seconds - waited until the power light started flashing).  After a while I was able to see the setup page. I used the Orbi app (Android), removed my old device config and clicked on New Setup.  This went smoothly but it failed to detect my satellites.  I took the pin and hard reset these and rescanned.  Bingo.

After I finished the configuration I went ahead and restored from my backup with the thought that if things go south, I'll just repeat the process and reconfigure by hand.

It's been about an hour and everything seems to be back on point - still on v.2.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but if you're completely stuck, it's worth a shot.

Message 4 of 6
chucko73
Aspirant

I have copies of 4.6.3.16 for RBR and RBS. I have not found 4.6.8.2 for RBS but have 4.6.8.2 installed on the RBR. It was autoloaded, I believe. The system is going to be unattended for a while so I am hoping to get this sorted out and stable in the very near future.

Questions:

When performing a factory reset, does the firmware rollback or continue where it was at the time of the reset? After my hard reset yesterday I thought that it reported that all nodes were at the proper revision level. I did not think to write down the versions and if they all agreed. 

Does anyone know the version that introduced the inability to login via the browser? After my hard reset yesterday (I lost my most recent config because I could not login and have been lax about keeping an updated config file.) I had web access for a while. A while later I logged in via the Orbi app. A while after that I tried to log in via the web and could not. I don't know that there was a linkage. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

@chucko73 wrote:

I have copies of 4.6.3.16 for RBR and RBS. I have not found 4.6.8.2 for RBS but have 4.6.8.2 installed on the RBR. It was autoloaded, I believe. The system is going to be unattended for a while so I am hoping to get this sorted out and stable in the very near future.

Ok, if you don't have files for v.2, then might as well get the RBR back to same v.16 as well since those files are available. 

Questions:

When performing a factory reset, does the firmware rollback or continue where it was at the time of the reset? No.

After my hard reset yesterday I thought that it reported that all nodes were at the proper revision level. I did not think to write down the versions and if they all agreed. 

Does anyone know the version that introduced the inability to login via the browser? It was at v.2 where the problem appeared. However keep in mind that this was introduced mostly by some glitch during the auto update process. I and others had already had v.2 loaded on our systems at around 4-27 date and saw no log in issues. This all started weekend before last on around 5-5 or 5-6 when AU started happening on users systems that had not already been manually updated.

After my hard reset yesterday (I lost my most recent config because I could not login and have been lax about keeping an updated config file.) I had web access for a while. A while later I logged in via the Orbi app. A while after that I tried to log in via the web and could not. I don't know that there was a linkage. 

There is known issues with Orbi app as well on iOS devices. I recommend if you factory reset and setup from scratch, do it with a wired PC and web browser first. Leave Orbi app alone for a bit until NG gets that figured out. Hoping that this patch that NG is working on now may help solve the Orbi app issue. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/Orbi-Web-Page-and-Orbi-app-Access-Status/td-p/2223085/jump...

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7