Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR 850 location and physical setup

JHB545
Aspirant

RBR 850 location and physical setup

Looking for basic guidance on setting up my mesh network (RBR850: base and two satellites). I have an underground basement, main level and 2nds floor house (i.e. 3 levels totaling about 7000sf) My Spectrum cable (300Mb/sec) comes into my house  via the basement (right in the corner of poured concrete). 

Currently I have the incoming cable "spliced" going to my main level which connects to the Spectrum Modem. Modem then  connected to RBR base (I think with CAT6 connector). Then the wireless satellites  in basement and on 2nd floor. 

I have a Playstation and Roku in basement. 

Is it better to have Playstation (& ROKU) on wired LAN, if possible directly from modem? If so what cable (CAT 6)??

Would it be better to put modem and Base Router in basement, and from there main floor satellite and then to 2nd floor satellite?? To do this I will need a 30Ft CAT6(??) connector in order to get router near middle of basement area (out of the concrete corner)

Once optimal placement, I need to the address the problem with Wifi calling dropping endlessly

Thank you for any recommendations!!

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR 850 location and physical setup

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Basements are not recommended placement for the RBR. Concrete and steel will impact wifi signal travel and coverage. You can have a RBS in the basement however wireless maybe lower than desired. If you have a ethernet connection from the RBR to the basement area to the RBS here, then you'll be good. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 2 of 4
Phyber
Luminary

I used solid copper core, UTP, CAT-6 cabling (non-CCA/CCS), not CAT-6 ethernet patch cable to hardwire the satellites upstairs to the router downstairs. I terminated at the wall with punchdown keystone jacks and then ran CAT-6 cable to a powered gigabit switch. 

The router should be in a centrally located spot to minimize interference and maximize signal propagation.

Message 3 of 4
JHB545
Aspirant

Thanks so much for your reply!
Modem is Spectrum’s Technicolor ET2251
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation