Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 change the region

Ab865
Follower

RBR750 change the region

I have a set of RBR750 (bought in US) and now using it outside US.  I noted that there is no option to change the region/country on the admin page.  I have been searching about, and was told I would need to telnet to the router and have this option enabled, but the letnet option got removed in recent firmware.  My RBR750 firmware is V4.6.14.3_2.3.12  Please advise what I need to do, thank you

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR750 change the region

The only thing you can change is the UI language region. You can't change the system region on US region units. 

Telnet is not supported on Orbi systems. 

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

As you have discovered, Netgear buried a comment on page 72 of the RBR750 User Manual:

CrimpOn_0-1688237526837.png

I have not discovered any mention of this "feature" in the Product Data Sheet or marketing literature.

No doubt there is some very good reason for this, such as prohibiting competition with between international authorized resellers (blah, blah, blah).

So, now that a particular customer has purchased a 750 system and needs to relocate to a different part of the world, what can he do? (besides cursing Netgear)

• Some users have been able to manipulate the Orbi admin web page.  Using Chrome (for example), it is obvious that the Region drop down is present, but inactive:
    Open the Advanced WiFi settings menu, right click on the Region drop down, and choose "Inspect".
    CrimpOn_2-1688238039405.png

The Region code is "hidden" and "disabled". The value is 11, which stands for North America.
    There are codes for most of the world:

CrimpOn_3-1688238149581.png

Using the web browser "Inspect" feature, it seems to be possible to change the web page to make the drop down menu appear and function.

I, personally, am not sophisticated enough with manipulating web pages to make this happen. (nor do I want to change my Region code).  Perhaps a web search will turn up more concrete instructions for how to do this.  (I believe there are users on the forum who know how, but might be reluctant to post information publically.)

• Telnet. There are programs on the web which will enable telnet on most Netgear routers, including the RBR750.  Once telnet is enabled, there are instructions which claim to allow changing the Region code.

•  
  •  
  •  

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

please check your private messages (envelop in upper right corner of screen)

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

The last time I've done similar experiments on earlier Netgear router models it ended with the changed region code not saving permanently, despite everything looked fine up to this point.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7