Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 Dropping WIFI Devices

charlie_sn
Aspirant

RBR850 Dropping WIFI Devices

Hi all,

I'm currently using the RRBR853 and sometimes random  devices seem to drop connection to the Wifi and then you have to reboot them to work again, the Orbi is running in Router Mode and plugged directly into an Openreach Modem. I have tried limiting devices to 2.4ghz and 5ghz respectively but that doesn't fix it, I've also tried factory resetting and that didnt work?

Firmware: V4.6.8.5_2.1.9

2.4Ghz Channel: 4

5Ggz Channel: 44

AX: Enabled

Coexistence: Enabled

WMM: Enabled

CTS: 2347

Any help would be appricated

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
charlie_sn
Aspirant

Re: RBR850 Dropping WIFI Devices

Since then nothing has dropped off and now I’m rooms where I used to get 300/400 it’s now 600 so I have no idea what happened but thanks

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What CAT# lan cable are you using between the modem and RBR? CAT6 is recommended.

How many devices do you have all connected? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz. 4 is not a primary channel to use. 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Can do do something for us and take a look at the System Uptime on the routers IP address/debug.htm web page. Can you see if this has a long up time or does it seem to be short? 

Message 2 of 13
charlie_sn
Aspirant

I believe the Modem is a Huawei HG8310M but custom made for Openreach?

I'm using Cat6a

Have about 40 devices connected but 10 or so are on Ethernet

2750sqft

Recomended distance between the 3

Changed 2.4Ghz to 6 and it did it on another device

No other wifi networks

It's been up for 4hrs

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

How many RBS do you have deployed? 

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)?

Message 4 of 13
charlie_sn
Aspirant

1 Router and 2 extenders

Unsure about the exact distance but its within the recomended

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

For the size of home you have you only need the RBR and 1 RBS deployed. 

Would need to measure the distances between the RBR and RBS. Too close and this can cause problems.

I would turn OFF 1 RBS and see how things go.

Message 6 of 13
charlie_sn
Aspirant

I bought a 2 pack before a 3 pack and half the house wasn't covered with a 2 pack as the walls are very old and just brick and concrete even with 3 I can't get coverage outside and I just tried 2 again and coverage was very bad

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Brick and concrete is going to be problematic for any wifi system. Would be great if you could ethernet connect the RBS to the RBR.

Would need to measure the distances between the RBR and RBS. 

Monitor the changes you have done so far and see how things go. 

Message 8 of 13
charlie_sn
Aspirant

Yeah I know, at this point I'm tempted to wire the house up and Installing Unifi/Cisco stuff... But I'll let you know if it keeps doing it (I suspect it will)

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

If you chose to wired up the house tor ethernet, then this would solve the issues your seeing with Orbi. 

You'll have problems with any kind of wifi system with the building materials your home has. 

Message 10 of 13
charlie_sn
Aspirant

It's done it a couple more times, seems better but still not stable and this morning my Wifi speed was limited to 40mbps (should be 900+) and smart TV's couldn't connect. Is there anything else software related I could try?

Message 11 of 13
charlie_sn
Aspirant

Since then nothing has dropped off and now I’m rooms where I used to get 300/400 it’s now 600 so I have no idea what happened but thanks
Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7