Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 with RBS850 How to move 2.6 device from router to satellite

EvenMag
Aspirant

RBR850 with RBS850 How to move 2.6 device from router to satellite

My Skybell doorbell regularly goes on/offline.  The modem/router is in the lower level in a utility room which cannot be relocated so I moved the Orbi satellite to within 3' of the doorbell.  It will not connect with the satellite, only the router and it is too far away for this device to be stable.  I have changed the "transmit power control" for 5ghz to 25% to force it to connect to the satellite and  everything close to it does, but not the doorbell.   How can I force this to use the satellite?

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850 with RBS850 How to move 2.6 device from router to satellite

Try turning down the power output of the RBRs 2.5Ghz wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

This may help steer the camera to the closer RBS signal.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@EvenMag wrote:

My Skybell doorbell regularly goes on/offline

It would be useful to know which Skybell product this is:

https://support.skybell.com/hc/en-us/articles/4424692988685-What-SkyBell-Do-I-Have- 

The Skybell web site is not particularly friendly about sharing the WiFi specifications of their products.  For example, the setup instructions for Android never mention anything about which WiFi bands are supported (2.4G and 5G)

https://support.skybell.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003105812-Syncing-the-SkyBell-Android- 

If the doorbell uses only 2.4G, then changing the transmit power on 5G would have no effect on the doorbell.

Can you please locate a reference to what WiFi is supported by your doorbell?

Thanks

Message 3 of 9
EvenMag
Aspirant

It would be useful to know which Skybell product this is:

https://support.skybell.com/hc/en-us/articles/4424692988685-What-SkyBell-Do-I-Have- 

Skybell TrimPlus 1000030

The Skybell web site is not particularly friendly about sharing the WiFi specifications of their products.  For example, the setup instructions for Android never mention anything about which WiFi bands are supported (2.4G and 5G)

https://support.skybell.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003105812-Syncing-the-SkyBell-Android- 

It states 2.4G

If the doorbell uses only 2.4G, then changing the transmit power on 5G would have no effect on the doorbell.

Can you please locate a reference to what WiFi is supported by your doorbell?

Message 4 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

The Skybell APP mentions 2.4G?
Message 5 of 9
EvenMag
Aspirant

Try turning down the power output of the RBRs 2.5Ghz wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

This may help steer the camera to the closer RBS signal.

Tried that.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

Will Try this

How many RBS are deployed?   One
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?   2 floors with 2,000 ft each floor
What is the distance between the router and  satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected. About 35 ‘
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌

Reducing the power on the Orbi router resulted in most of the devices on the first floor connecting to the satellite except the doorbell.  I positioned the satellite about 3’ from the doorbell on the inside of the house, of course.

Message 6 of 9
EvenMag
Aspirant

Yes and I have just transitioned to the new app that has recently been pushed out.  We'll see if this makes any difference.

Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

One of the "last resort" sort of solutions is to deploy a WiFi extender with a unique name (SSID) and set the doorbell to connect to that WiFi system    WiFi extenders are available on Amazon for under $30.  (some even under $20 - such as the TP-Link REE220)  If the extender connects to the Orbi at 5G and creates a 2.4G network called "MySky", for example, the doorbell can be forced to use the extender because it is the only WiFi access point offering that name.

Doorbells can have "issues" with WiFi because they sometimes are surrounded by lots of wood framing and even brick walls.

Message 8 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Another potential complication is that devices often remain "stuck" on a WiFi access point until they are rebooted.

Whereas mobile devices (phones, tablets, laptops, etc.) are often programmed to scan the available WiFi networks constantly and change to a "better" connection when it becomes available, devices that are fixed in one location may scan the WiFi space only when they are powered on. (and then just quit looking).

Ordinary Internet of Things (IoT) devices are easy to power cycle.  My guess is that the doorbell is permanently powered from the doorbell transformer.  Sometimes it is not obvious how to interrupt power to the doorbell.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7