Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBRE 960 Wifi clients constantly disconnect/reconnect throughout the day

sebgood
Aspirant

RBRE 960 Wifi clients constantly disconnect/reconnect throughout the day

I'll start by saying my RBR50 (AC3000) system worked perfectly reliably in the same house with router and satellites in the same exact locations. However, the RBRE 960 system has never been reliable for me. 

Two main issues:

1) Devices on the network constantly disconnect/reconnect. I'll be on a Zoom call and my wifi drops for 20 seconds. Happens about once per hour. Other devices like Samsung TV, Brilliant smart home switch, also lose connection. The latest MacOS and iOS devices also have the problem.

2) One of the satellites always shows poor connection. Keep in mind this was not the case on the RBR50 with everything placed in exactly the same locations.

I'm using wireless backhaul.  RBRE960 is connected to a Motorola MB8611 modem. One satellite is 20 feet away from the router but in a separate detached building (it worked better to have a satellite in there with the RBR50).  The other satellite is on a lower level of the home about 30 feet away.  The total living space is 2300sq ft but there's a 10 ft separation between the house and the detached cottage that has a satellite. And the whole place is on a pretty steep hill which is why it worked better in the past to have satellites upstairs and down. 

I've run analysis of neighboring SSIDs and the channels they're using and I've tried different things. My latest setup is 2.4ghz on auto, 5ghz on 44 (was on 48). I'm broadcasting a guest wifi SSID but nothing for IOT or 6ghz.  I'm going to try disabling AX.  Any other help?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBRE 960 Wifi clients constantly disconnect/reconnect throughout the day

@sebgood wrote:

I'll start by saying my RBR50 (AC3000) system worked perfectly reliably in the same house with router and satellites in the same exact locations. However, the RBRE 960 system has never been reliable for me. 

Two main issues:

1) Devices on the network constantly disconnect/reconnect. I'll be on a Zoom call and my wifi drops for 20 seconds. Happens about once per hour. Other devices like Samsung TV, Brilliant smart home switch, also lose connection. The latest MacOS and iOS devices also have the problem.

2) One of the satellites always shows poor connection. Keep in mind this was not the case on the RBR50 with everything placed in exactly the same locations.

I'm using wireless backhaul.  RBRE960 is connected to a Motorola MB8611 modem. One satellite is 20 feet away from the router but in a separate detached building (it worked better to have a satellite in there with the RBR50).  <20 feet is too close, even if in a different building.

The other satellite is on a lower level of the home about 30 feet away.  The total living space is 2300sq ft but there's a 10 ft separation between the house and the detached cottage that has a satellite. And the whole place is on a pretty steep hill which is why it worked better in the past to have satellites upstairs and down. <For this size of home, only the RBR and 1 RBS would be needed. Try turning off the closer RBS and check. You can try 25% on the RBR if you wanna try this with 2 RBS and see.

I've run analysis of neighboring SSIDs and the channels they're using and I've tried different things. My latest setup is 2.4ghz on auto, 5ghz on 44 (was on 48). I'm broadcasting a guest wifi SSID but nothing for IOT or 6ghz.  I'm going to try disabling AX.  Any other help? Do you don't have IoT or the separate 6Ghz SSID enabled? 

Thanks!

Message 2 of 6
sebgood
Aspirant

That's correct, i don't have an IOT SSID or separate 6gHz SSID enabled.

Regarding distance to the detached unit being only 20 ft, unfortunately it doesn't work well without a satellite there.  My laptop in that unit connects to 2.4gHz, even though I'm 25-30 feet from the RBR.  I assume it's just too many walls and the wall materials for the 5gHz to make it through.  I just ran speed tests. With a RBS here in my detached unit I got 450mbps. Without an RBS in here, I got 40mbps.  I notice that my laptop chooses to connect to the other RBS (which has a "poor" backhaul status) when I'm in this detached unit. The unit is equidistant from the RBR and RBS, but the RBS is downstairs, and the RBR is on the same level, but on a shelf perhaps 3ft higher than my laptop.  

While sitting here writing this from the detached unit, it switched the connection from the RBS to the RBR. But still 2.4ghz giving me a 40mbps speed test. I too thought this unit didn't need a satellite when we first moved here with the RBR50, but it was extremely slow in here. I added an RBS and everything worked perfectly.  

About trying 25% on the RBR - I actually need it to reach the entire main level of the house and it's already a little weak in the opposite corner, and on the ring cameras up at the front fence.

Message 3 of 6
TwoSwords
Guide

@sebgood  try these steps, it did help for me:

1. Disabling 20/40 MHz Coexistence provides far better performance with it off. 

Orbilogin.com -> sign in via admin ->ADVANCED tab -> Advanced section -> Wireless Settings -> under "Region Selection" -> Region: Advanced Wireless Setting (2.4 GHz b/g/n/ax) -> uncheck Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence

2. Finding out the best MTU for your system and changing that setting.

Open Command Prompt as an admin. Open Start menu -> type CMD -> right click on Command prompt and select run as administrator.

In the command prompt type ping google.com -f -l 1500 (1500 is just to start)

If you get a message saying packet needs to be fragmented but DF set. 1, 2, 3, or even 4 times.  

Ping statistics for IP address (example Ping statistics for 175.335.80.91)

Packets: sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% Loss) <- Here is where you can have different results 1 received and 3 loss. Basically, you're looking for 0% loss. Anything other than 0% loss means MTU is too high.

After you see 1500 is too high you will follow the same command ping google.com -f -l 1500 but, this time you will change 1500 to 1492 and run the command (hit Enter). You will continue lowering by 10 each time after, so you next ping would be ping google.com -f -l 1482 and so on.

Now in this example let's say I try ping google.com -f -l 1472 (again you might have a larger or small number here) and this is the message you get:

Pinging google.com [175.335.80.91] with 1350 bytes of data
Reply from 175.335.80.91: bytes=68 (sent 1350) time=7ms TTL=116
Reply from 175.335.80.91: bytes=68 (sent 1350) time=9ms TTL=116
Reply from 175.335.80.91: bytes=68 (sent 1350) time=9ms TTL=116
Reply from 175.335.80.91: bytes=68 (sent 1350) time=10ms TTL=116

Ping statistics for 175.335.80.91:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), <- This is the results you want.
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 10ms, Average = 8ms

This means I got the right MTU.

In the Orbi router I will now set my MTU to 1472:

Orbilogin.com -> sign in via admin ->ADVANCED tab -> Setup Section -> Click on WAN Setup -> MTU Size -> add the 1472 here in the box and select Save.

3. Changing the Preamble Mode to Short Preamble helped with overlapping the wireless signals and helped with an my no internet issue. So, one of the problems I would have while being on the Wi-Fi, is just randomly losing internet. I would still be connected to the Wi-Fi but, none of the apps would load or sync. So, I updated the Preamble Mode and this helped. 

Orbilogin.com -> sign in via admin ->ADVANCED tab -> Advanced section -> Wireless Settings -> under "Region Selection" -> Region: Advanced Wireless Setting (2.4 GHz b/g/n/ax) -> Preamble Mode -> Automatic -> Short Preamble -> Region: Advanced Wireless Setting (5 GHz 802.11a/n/ac/ax/be) -> Preamble Mode -> Automatic -> Short Preamble.

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Usually for any MTU changes, the ISP should be consulted about this. Most standard MTU values for Cable ISP systems are set for 1500. DSL ISP services, for those that require specific MTU values, usually use 1472 or 1492. 

I would investigate ISP signal line issues up to the modem as well as these can cause problems down the line as well. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@sebgood wrote:

That's correct, i don't have an IOT SSID or separate 6gHz SSID enabled.

Regarding distance to the detached unit being only 20 ft, unfortunately it doesn't work well without a satellite there.  My laptop in that unit connects to 2.4gHz, even though I'm 25-30 feet from the RBR.  I assume it's just too many walls and the wall materials for the 5gHz to make it through.  I just ran speed tests. With a RBS here in my detached unit I got 450mbps. Without an RBS in here, I got 40mbps.  I notice that my laptop chooses to connect to the other RBS (which has a "poor" backhaul status) when I'm in this detached unit. The unit is equidistant from the RBR and RBS, but the RBS is downstairs, and the RBR is on the same level, but on a shelf perhaps 3ft higher than my laptop.  

While sitting here writing this from the detached unit, it switched the connection from the RBS to the RBR. But still 2.4ghz giving me a 40mbps speed test. I too thought this unit didn't need a satellite when we first moved here with the RBR50, but it was extremely slow in here. I added an RBS and everything worked perfectly.  

About trying 25% on the RBR - I actually need it to reach the entire main level of the house and it's already a little weak in the opposite corner, and on the ring cameras up at the front fence.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7