Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBRE960 Satellite Connection to Base Station

itguy97223
Aspirant

RBRE960 Satellite Connection to Base Station

I have the RBRE960 with two satellites. One of the satellites I decided to use hardware for the backhaul connection. But now when I log into the router I see the hardwired connection as good and another 5G connection as good. The MAC address shows it is part of the wired satellite. The problem I am having is that 5G connection has a different IP than everything else. So things will connect to that IP and then I am not able to manage them. The only way I have seen to get around this is to assign a IP to each device. How do I get rid of that 5G connection? 

Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBRE960 Satellite Connection to Base Station

@itguy97223 wrote:

I have the RBRE960 with two satellites.

when I log into the router I see the hardwired connection as good and another 5G connection as good.

For a total of two 5G satellite connections?

Since these are private IP addresses, there should be no harm in sharing them.

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Are RBS ethernet or wirelessly connected to the RBR? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What browser are you using? 

@itguy97223 wrote:

I have the RBRE960 with two satellites. One of the satellites I decided to use hardware for the backhaul connection. But now when I log into the router I see the hardwired connection as good and another 5G connection as good. The MAC address shows it is part of the wired satellite. The problem I am having is that 5G connection has a different IP than everything else. So things will connect to that IP and then I am not able to manage them. The only way I have seen to get around this is to assign a IP to each device. How do I get rid of that 5G connection? 

Message 3 of 11
itguy97223
Aspirant

I have router and two satellites. One satellite is connected to the router via WiFi backhaul. With IP 192.168.25.200 The second satellite I have connected via Ethernet with IP 192.168.25.201. The second one is wired due to location and interference. The odd satellite with Wi-Fi has IP 192.168.1.250. If I change the second satellite to Wi-Fi backhaul it keeps IP 192.168.25.201. And the odd third one is no longer showing in Orbi router connected satellites.  Things do not change if I use IE or Chrome to connect to the router. 

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you provide a screen capture if what your seeing. Edit out any MAC addresses before posting.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌

️So the wired RBS had is seeing the .1.250 address? Is this RBS directly connected to the back of the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between? 

What CAT# lan cable are you using between the RBR and RBS? 

Is the RBS connected using the 2.5Gb port on the RBS and RBR? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 5 of 11
itguy97223
Aspirant

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 7.36.13 AM.png

Home size is 2600sqft with distance from RBR to RBS around 27 ft. There is a lot of things in the walls and floor that cause poor connection to this RBS that is the reason it is wired. Wiring is all CAT 6. The CAT6 cable is connected to the 2.5gb port on RBS. The firmware I am running on both RBR and RBS's is 6.3.7.5. The odd RBS is the one labeled "where" when i check the firmware on that it says it is running 6.0.3.85 with service unreachable. I have comcast as my provider and I run a Arris Surfboard S33

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

1. You need to update the 3rd RBS to same version of FW as what is on the RBR currently. 

2. 30 feet or more distance in between the RBR and RBS.

3. For that size of home you have too many RBS deployed. The RBR and 1 RBS would be enough. I recommend reducing the RBS count be two and reducing the transmit power to 25%. I've got a 5k sq ft home and run two RBS with power set to 25% currently I can get away with one RBS. https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

Message 7 of 11
itguy97223
Aspirant

I have no way of updating the one that is off on firmware. It should not exist. If I unplug the wired 2.5gb connection from RBR to RBS that third RBS (where) goes away. I plug back in and it comes back. I tried to connect to it via IP with no luck. If I run a angry IP scan it does not even find that odd RBS. 

I have tried to drop to RBR and one RBS however in that corner of the house the connection is poor and drops many times. 

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

So did you actually have 3 RBS or just two RBS? 

Message 9 of 11
itguy97223
Aspirant

I only have 2 physical RBS’s and 1 RBR. The 3rd RBS in the picture named where is rouge. It only appears when I have the RBS named gym hard wired back haul. As soon as I remove the hard wire from RBS gym the 3rd RBS in picture named where goes away.
Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok I would try a full on factory reset on the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch. Be sure to clear out all browser caches before using the RBRs web page wizard. 

Add the RBS wirelessly first. Once they are fully synced, then connect the RBS one at a time via ethernet. 

Monitor the RBRs status page as the RBS get added. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7