Pardman
Tutor

RBRE960 VLAN

I have the following setup:

- One RBRE960 Router

- Three RBSE960 Satellites

- Each of the devices has been upgraded to the latest firmware

- Xfinity broadband

I am interested in running a cryptocurrency computer node on my network but want to isolate the traffic of the node from the rest of my personal network traffic.

I thought I could do this using the VLAN support, but when I turn on VLAN support, I lose WAN connectivity to Xfinity.  

Is what I am wanting to do possible with this router/satellite combination?  If so, how?

Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBRE960 VLAN

Page 92 of the user manual describes how the residential RBRE960 router provides VLAN capability to support certain Internet Service Providers: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBKE963/RBRE960_RBSE960_UM_EN.pdf 

This is  not what you are looking for.  Sorry.

The business (Orbi 'Pro') models do support VLANs.

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 3 of 9
Pardman
Tutor

Firmware is 6.3.7.5 for both router and satellites

Comcast Modem (cable):  Model XB6-T.  It is modem they provide.  It's actually a router/modem combo, but I have it running in bridge mode.

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

How do you have the VLAN configured on the RBR? 

After applying the VLAN configuration, try a reboot or power OFF of the RBR AND ISP modem for 30 seconds then back ON with the modem first then RBR. 

Message 5 of 9
Pardman
Tutor

VLAN configuration attached (see pic).  FLUX is the VLAN I am trying to setup.  Note, the IOT VLAN seems to be working properly (I believe it is all wireless)

I restarted Xfinity modem and RBRE960 and still no internet connection.

Message 6 of 9
Pardman
Tutor

I would note that my internet connection worked great until I added the FLUX vlan, and then it stopped working, and I cannot figure out the reason

Message 7 of 9
Pardman
Tutor

An additional point, is that I have assigned the FLUX VLAN to "port 4" which I assume to be the LAN port on the back of the router farthest away from the WAN port (or the port farthest to the right).  The port numbers are not labeled on the back of my router, so I'm not 100% sure this is a correct assumption.

Message 8 of 9
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @Pardman ,

Thank you for your post!

I understand that once you added a new VLAN to your network you were not able to access the internet. The ports on the back of your Orbi are 1-4 from left to right. Your assumption is correct. 

Please try setting your VLAN priority to 0 for your new VLAN then verify the network connectivity.

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7