Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBRE960 router to become satellite (AP)

vemilson
Aspirant

RBRE960 router to become satellite (AP)

Hey,

I'm new here. But I just bought a RBRE960 three pack (1 router + 2 satellites) + one more router. 

I want to use the second router as a satellite and I have tried countless times to change it to be an AP instead but it never works. Have anyone else experienced the same issue, I've tried to find any other posts but none of them have the same issue as me.

I've tried to do it via Ethernet but the instructions is extremely limited since it doesn't say what port I should use and the wireless instructions doesn't work either.

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: RBRE960 router to become satellite (AP)

You can put the 2nd one in access point mode but it won't work as a satellite. 

Message 2 of 4
vemilson
Aspirant

Ok, but what's the difference? AP is what compared to a satellite?

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

A WiFi access point (AP) create its own WiFi network.  Even though it may have the same WiFi credentials as the primary system, the AP network is independent and is not able to coordinate passing devices from its network to other networks.  Before 'mesh' networks were created in the late 2010's, this was the only option users had to expand the physical area served by their WiFi systems.

Mesh networks using new 802.11 standards allow coordination between units, so that WiFi devices can be "handed off" from one node to another.  This is called seamless roaming.  Users do not notice as they move around that their mobile device has moved from one satellite to another as the signal from the first satellite got too low to provide good performance.

AP and satellite are the same as long as the WiFi device does not move.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series