Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to connect at 6 GHz to the Orbi RBRE960

jimk1963
Luminary

Any resolution to this? I have a Dell XPS 15 9530 w/ Intel AX211 6E card and Orbi RBK963 (router + 2 sats).

Orbi settings are identical to the author's settings in first post.

AX211 settings are 

- 6 GHz Preferred Band

- Ultra High Band (6 GHz) - Enabled

- All other AX settings enabled

Laptop is about 10 feet from the router. Using Windows Network & Internet, I'm seeing that the WiFi adapter is 100% on 5 GHz, never on 6 GHz. Double checked that all drivers - including WLAN adapter - are fully up to date. Same for the Orbi. Not sure what else to do...

This is a corporate laptop, but I have access to all areas of the machine.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
jimk1963
Luminary

Solution? I’m now able get 6GHz on both iPhone and laptop. On iPhone, I selected “Forget this network” and reattached.

On laptop, I skipped Dell’s update and went straight to Intel, whose driver was much newer.

Both devices can now reach the limit of my WWAN (1Gbps).

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you enable the separate 6Ghz SSID and connect to this network? 

What FW version is loaded on the RBR and RBS? 

Message 2 of 9
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@jimk1963

What version of Windows do you have.
If not Windows 11 you won't see 6GHz. Windows 10 and earlier does not support 6GHz.
Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Dell's web site appears to indicate that Dell 'recommends' Windows 11 for this product:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/xps-15-laptop/spd/xps-15-9530-laptop 

There are Control Panel network settings that determine which WiFi frequencies the card can use.  Perhaps it would be worth a few seconds double checking that 6GHz is enabled?

Message 4 of 9
jimk1963
Luminary

Win11 Pro, familiar with that requirement.
Message 5 of 9
jimk1963
Luminary

Didn’t find any specific settings to enable/disable 6 GHz, other than in the WLAN adapter settings.
Message 6 of 9
jimk1963
Luminary

Solution? I’m now able get 6GHz on both iPhone and laptop. On iPhone, I selected “Forget this network” and reattached.

On laptop, I skipped Dell’s update and went straight to Intel, whose driver was much newer.

Both devices can now reach the limit of my WWAN (1Gbps).
Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 8 of 9
TheHangingJudge
Aspirant

Any information you could share on how you got the XPS 15 to connect to the 6ghz would be appreciated.  I have the latest drivers from Intel and have tried everything but the XPS 15 doesn't see 6ghz.  My Iphone sees the 6ghz fine but I read it has been disabled on the XPS by dell by a bios flag.  I would love to get the 6ghz working as my 5ghz is congested in my location.

Thanks in advance

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7