Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router needed?

JimTurkey
Guide

Router needed?

I have the AX4200 WiFi Mesh System (RBK753) with 2 satellites. I've had U-Verse Fiber for years and now can switch as I move. I'm going with Vyve Broadband, and, as I understand, can supply my own router.

So I guess I have 2 questions:

1. Do I need a router? I've always had to use AT&T's in the past and never had to worry about a router.
  2. What router would you recommend so that things work best?
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Router needed?

Yes. There can be too much wifi signal flooding a home size. https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

There are configurations that need additional RBS, however for some of these, one can do this and then turn down the power on the system to help with getting good wifi over lap and wifi coverage. I have a 5000sq ft home, 3 levels I can get away with one RBS at 100%. I normally have two online and use 50% or 25% power depending. I get good coverage and over lap. 

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 13

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the Orbi system work? if so, you could migrate it to the new ISP and use it there...

Message 2 of 13
JimTurkey
Guide

I'm not sure what you mean. 

PS ... I haven't moved yet but will soon. I'm just trying to plan ahead.

Message 3 of 13
JimTurkey
Guide

Oh, so are you suggesting that the Orbi router be used?

Is that the best router option? 

Message 4 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@JimTurkey wrote:
  1. Do I need a router? I've always had to use AT&T's in the past and never had to worry about a router.
  2. What router would you recommend so that things work best?

Yes, every customer needs a router.  You already have a router as part of the Orbi RBK753 package.  If this is the new Internet Service Provider (ISP) https://vyvebroadband.com , then they appear to offer the eero WiFi product as one of their options (which you do not need unless you want to change - and pay Vyee more money every month).

On the forum terminology is critical.  Every customer has to have some device which converts the ISP platform to Ethernet for their internal use.  Traditional cable systems (Charter, Cox, Xfinity, etc.) piggyback internet on their cable TV systems, and customers need a cable modem interface.  AT&T provides their own box (which your Orbi is connected to).  Fiber systems, such as Vyve use an Optical Network Terminator (ONT).

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes and Yes.

@JimTurkey wrote:

Oh, so are you suggesting that the Orbi router be used?

Is that the best router option? 

Message 6 of 13
JimTurkey
Guide

Thank you both! Definitely clears things up!

As a follow-up... I currently have the Orbi router + 2 satellites. I will be moving to a new house:

• 2 floors
  • 9 total rooms (bedrooms, office, living room, etc)
  • 4200 square feet

In addition to the Orbi router, how many satellites would you recommend?

Message 7 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@JimTurkey wrote:

This depends to a large degree on

• The shape of the building
  • Where the ISP service enters the building
  • Whether the building is already wired with Ethernet cable
  • How much coverage is wanted "outside" the primary building envelope (such as patios, eaves for security cameras, back yards, front porch, etc.)

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

For that size of home, two should be ok. 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

@JimTurkey wrote:

Thank you both! Definitely clears things up!

As a follow-up... I currently have the Orbi router + 2 satellites. I will be moving to a new house:

• 2 floors
  • 9 total rooms (bedrooms, office, living room, etc)
  • 4200 square feet

Message 9 of 13
JimTurkey
Guide

Is this something where the fewer satellites, the better?
Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. There can be too much wifi signal flooding a home size. https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

There are configurations that need additional RBS, however for some of these, one can do this and then turn down the power on the system to help with getting good wifi over lap and wifi coverage. I have a 5000sq ft home, 3 levels I can get away with one RBS at 100%. I normally have two online and use 50% or 25% power depending. I get good coverage and over lap. 

Message 11 of 13
JimTurkey
Guide

Appreciate the help. Love learning new things!
Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us now how it turns out. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements