Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why wont netgear allow me to downgrade my firmware, where is the "yes" button? (RBR750/RBS750)

dpg010
Follower

Why wont netgear allow me to downgrade my firmware, where is the "yes" button? (RBR750/RBS750)

First off, why isnt there a "disable automatic firmware update" option? This is a bit ridiculous. Ive spent close to 800-850 on my entire setup including an additional satellite and support contracts. I have 1 router and 3 RBS devices on my network. You're telling me, you dont have an option to disable updates? What if my current firmware is stable and i want to stay there? Kind of stupid. 

Next, i spent over 1.5-2 hours downgrading all my devices and last night Netgear decided to update it all over again. This is unacceptable to be honest. 

Also, ive tried 3 different browsers, and even a factory reset, where is the "yes" button? Why is netgear preventing me from downgrading? I literally just did this same process a few days ago only for them to update me at night all over again. \

Is there a way to disable the updates by blocking the sites that check for updates within the device? This whole process with netgear has been frustrating to say the least. Im very disappointed. Orbi.PNG

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Why wont netgear allow me to downgrade my firmware, where is the "yes" button? (RBR750

Orbi systems have never supported disabling of FW udpates. 

"Hello Orbi AX Community, We confirmed the new firmware v4.6.3.7 has an issue that the Internet speed test performed by the Orbi app may report lower numbers than the actual speed. This issue doesn’t degrade the actual speed for your Internet access, and it only happens when the actual Internet speed is more than 600 mbps. We’ve been working on the fix and we should be able to have a trial firmware release soon for people who would like to give it a try first. And again, if you are still experiencing other issues with firmware v4.6.3.7 please send a private message to me (@Christian_R) if you haven't done so already. Please provide the requested information listed below. Name: Email: Phone: Preferred Contact Time: (including time zone) Router Serial Number: Thank you, Christian"

Message 2 of 13
MH135
Tutor

Re: Why wont netgear allow me to downgrade my firmware, where is the "yes" button? (RBR750

It does affect our wifi speed! I am constantly disconnected from my meetings because I'm getting between 12-18 mbps speeds on my laptop. This is ridiculous! Did Netgear NOT test this firmware before publishing it? And why isn't there a auto update disablement button for the Orbi? I was very happy with the previous firmware. Never had one issue with it but since the new update, nothing but constant issues.

Also, the "yes" button to proceed with a firmware rollback, how was that missed in QA?
Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling AX mode on the RBR...

Was this speed test result thru the RBRs Speed  test app or external speed test app? 

Once one v4 you can't revert back to v3. This seems to be intentional.

@MH135 wrote:
It does affect our wifi speed! I am constantly disconnected from my meetings because I'm getting between 12-18 mbps speeds on my laptop. This is ridiculous! Did Netgear NOT test this firmware before publishing it? And why isn't there a auto update disablement button for the Orbi? I was very happy with the previous firmware. Never had one issue with it but since the new update, nothing but constant issues.

Also, the "yes" button to proceed with a firmware rollback, how was that missed in QA?

Message 4 of 13
MH135
Tutor

I disabled AX, let the Orbi reboot, did a speed test and still the same results. Then I unplugged the Orbi for a few min and plugged it back in. Still the same results.

Speed test through the Orbi app shows 600+mbps but that is not the issue. It is wifi. I did a speed test through 2 laptops and 2 phones with the same horrendous results. Not being able to revert back to V3 from a V4 whether intentional or not, it should be fixed to allow users to go back to whatever firmware version they were happiest with.

I have gone through the forums and tried all the "fixes" but no success because all the rollbacks were in regards to V3 to a V3. I have no found a discussion where someone was successful in rolling back from V4 to V3. You might be correct in stating it is an intentional design to prevent anyone from going from V4 to V3, and again, if it was, it's a terrible decision.
Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to contact NG support and let them know what your seeing. 

@MH135 wrote:
I disabled AX, let the Orbi reboot, did a speed test and still the same results. Then I unplugged the Orbi for a few min and plugged it back in. Still the same results.

Speed test through the Orbi app shows 600+mbps but that is not the issue. It is wifi. I did a speed test through 2 laptops and 2 phones with the same horrendous results. Not being able to revert back to V3 from a V4 whether intentional or not, it should be fixed to allow users to go back to whatever firmware version they were happiest with.

I have gone through the forums and tried all the "fixes" but no success because all the rollbacks were in regards to V3 to a V3. I have no found a discussion where someone was successful in rolling back from V4 to V3. You might be correct in stating it is an intentional design to prevent anyone from going from V4 to V3, and again, if it was, it's a terrible decision.

Message 6 of 13
Godfirst
Tutor

Did you ever find a fix? I'm having the same issues with the RBR850. Every device is reading link rate 54mbps. Not being able to downgrad to V3 is horrible.

Message 7 of 13
MH135
Tutor

No and Netgear hasn't said anything. If you can return your Netgear Orbi, I would and never look back. Been too long to get a response from Netgear on a fix. I returned mine and got an Asus AX mesh router that works perfectly.

After the next firmware update, I recommend NOT to upgrade if your Orbi is working fine. This experience has left a very bad taste that will not be forgotten.
Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 9 of 13
Godfirst
Tutor

Will not work since I’m on 4.6.3.9 and rbk852.
Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Users can try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2131307/highligh...

Seems to work to get back to v3 FW. 

@Godfirst wrote:
Will not work since I’m on 4.6.3.9 and rbk852.

Message 11 of 13
Godfirst
Tutor

I was able to finally revert firmware, by using the debug screen suggested in the discussion. Thanks! Everything is back to normal.
Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Godfirst wrote:
I was able to finally revert firmware, by using the debug screen suggested in the discussion. Thanks! Everything is back to normal.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series