Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi/Hardwired speeds drop to unusable speeds frequently RBK752-100CNS

x5m33k5x
Aspirant

Wifi/Hardwired speeds drop to unusable speeds frequently RBK752-100CNS

Hi there, I am uncertain where to go with this issue I have been having issues with my Netgear orbi. Seems this is my only option since my support period has conveniently expired at the beginning of April. Any help and support would be awesome because as of right now I have a $600 paper weight.

My issues with the ‎RBK752-100CNS is my internets speeds will be excellent after I reboot my router for anywhere between a few hours to a day. Then the speeds drop down to unusable rates. If I power down the router and power it back up everything works fine again for the time specified above but then this will occur again and remains in this loop. I am not super knowledgeabe with networking, but I know enough to get around.

Currently my orbis are set up in access point mode because I thought maybe it was having issues routing traffic. This did not fix the issue. The above issue happens regardless if it is in router mode or access point mode. I have tried factory resetting it multiple times and am currently running the most up-to-date firmware release Version 4.6.8.2. I have also tried multiple previous firmware options to try and correct the issue. I have the router and satellite package. All of my testing has been with just the router because I figured if I cant even get the router to work there is no point in having the satellite integrated into the network.

My ISP gateway is set to bridge mode and all security measures have been turned off to avoid double nat. I have 600+mb/s internet connection so bandwidth is not a issue. I have ruled out the ISP as being a cause of the slow speed issue by using the gateway provided or the R8000. Everything works great but it doesn't have coverage needed to supply my entire house with a good wifi signal. My house has very few walls, 2 drywall, walls at most that the signal must pass trough. I have used wifi analyzer tools to pick the least congested channels. I have tried every setting imaginable in the router firmware, one at a time and tested before reverting it back to factory default. I have even tried using a older ‎R8000-100PAS with openwrt installed on it to handle all of the routing while leaving the isp gateway in bridge mode and the orbi in access point mode. Still the issue continues.

I tried to hardwired as many devices as I could to a unmanaged network switch downstream of the orbi router. I have also got rid of a lot of un-needed devices that would just sit on the network. I did this to reduce congestion. But, the above issue happens even on hardwired devices. The devices on wifi are phones, tablets, laptops and a few smart home devices for a total of 18 which are not all used at the same time. And I would not consider them to be under the "heavy usage" category. This is substantially less devices than their advertised 40 devices. Hardwired devices include a android box, and 1 tower pc. 

I would like to just have the isp gateway in bridge mode and the orbi handle all the wifi and routing. Has anyone ran into this issue or have a fix for this? Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Wifi/Hardwired speeds drop to unusable speeds frequently RBK752-100CNS

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the CAT# LAN cable between the RBR and ISP modem? CAT6 is recommended.

What are the wired speed test results report? 

What wireless and wired devices do you have connected? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

How are the RBS connected to the RBR? Wired or wireless?

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 2 of 6
x5m33k5x
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply,

I covered 90% of your questions in my initial post. I am running cat6 throughout my entire house including between my Shaw bluecurve gateway and my orbi. Interference should not be a issue on my wired connections. This is also ruled out by the fact that everything works correctly when I use any of my other routers. My wired speeds are >600mb/s before the router slows down. When the router slows down the speeds are <2mb/s.

If you continue to read in my initial post, this issue also happens on wired devices. This is not strictly a wifi issue although it is present on wifi as well. I have reset my gateway multiple times before and after firmware updated while trying to troubleshoot this issue on my own. And I have also brought everything back up in sequence as you have recommended. No change.

Currently I am running the bluecurve gateway as a router and everything works as expected with great transfer rates that are consistent. I have also put the gateway in bridge mode with all security features turned off and used my old R8000 as the router and this works consistently as well. 

To clarify, the NG R8000 router is not part of the network that I have set up any more. These orbis were to replace that old router. I was strictly using it for testing to rule out all other components of my current network. This condition only exists when the orbi is used as the interface.

Please let me know if you have any further ideas

Thank you

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Is one of these your ISP modem?

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/equipment-info-fibre-gateway-xb6/ta-p/5632#content-sect...

What wireless and wired devices do you have connected?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 

How are the RBS connected to the RBR? Wired or wireless?

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

I would turn OFF the RBS and run just the RBR and speed test with. 

Also a factory reset and setup from scratch maybe needed on the RBR. 

Message 4 of 6
x5m33k5x
Aspirant

Yes that is my ISP gateway that you posted. Also my square footage is around 2600.

I don't think your understanding my post. Everything that you have recommended, I explained that I have already done it in my original post.... I also go onto explain that I am not using the satellite because there is no point in adding it until my issue is resolved. Then I go onto explain that this is not just a wifi issue. This is peasant on wired connections too...

Lets leave wireless out of the equation for now because that is a whole other issue that may be resolved once the root issue with the wired connections is solved. I don't have issues with placement or wifi signals to devices.

In my opinion I believe it is a firmware issue. I came to this conclusion with the fact that the router will work correctly for a short period of time before it piles up and has to be reset again, then after it is reset it works fine again for a short period of time. Its almost like after a short period traffic being routed is stuck in a buffer or something and at that point throughput slows down considerably (<3mb/s) on both wifi and wired connections. But I am by no means a professional, which is why I created this post.

I was reading through some other older posts on here and you recommended this to contact @Blanca_O or @DarrenM to ask for a beta version of firmware. The recommended firmware was 4-6-3-7. But I have substantially newer firmware at 4.6.8.2 and I am still facing this issue.

Message 5 of 6
Mikey94025
Hero

I this it is unusual for the performance of your router to degrade over time, and then restored if a reboot/restart occurs.  Most of the issues people have are environmental so affect the performance uniformly while the router is running.  We can guess that there is a bug and that a newer firmware happens to fix the bug, but that is just trial and error since most of the time the specific issue you are experiencing is not specifically addressed in the newer firmware release notes.

We can look for other symptoms that might help narrow the cause of your issue.  http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm will give you some CPU and Memory statistics that you can report (1) right after reboot, and (2) when the router has been running long enough for your to experience degraded performance.  Small variations don't really matter, but if you report any big shifts that might mean something.

Finally, let's confirm that you don't have Double NAT.  Verify that http://orbilogin.com/ , Advanced tab / Internet Port / IP Address is the same as what https://canyouseeme.org/ reports. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7