Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

rbr20 to ax4200 migration

JONNYBB1
Aspirant

rbr20 to ax4200 migration

Considering upgrading from an RBR20 to an AX4200. QUESTION: Can I use the exisiting config file from the RBR20 and restore it to the AX4200?

SCENARIO: I currently have 42 devices (cameras, pc's, and IoT devices), most of which have reserved dynamic IP addresses, several of which are using some sort of port forwarding or rules that I don't want to have to manually re-enter. Also I have the OpenVPN setup for a couple of remote devices. 

Can this be done without redoing the complete setup. I'm afraid of missing an entry that might cause issues.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: rbr20 to ax4200 migration

No. its different hardware. 

I definitely wouldn't use the config file. 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

This is a great chance for an experiment.  As soon as the new router is up, go through the setup long enough to reach the point where you have a choice of "Load a previously saved configuration" or "Continue manual setup."

My money is on the router rejecting the saved configuration as invalid.  Suppose loading the configuration does "something horrible". Just do a factory reset and "all is forgiven".

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Cross using backup config files on other product lines is not supported nor will it work. There all tied to there perspective product ID lines and this is check when the file is attempted to be loaded by the router. Also there are too many differences (features and UI) between products that makes this not possible. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7