Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2.5 GBps Switch

cliyeh
Aspirant

2.5 GBps Switch

Hello,

Was wondering what's the best way for me to add in my 2.5 GBps Switch.  I currently have 1GBps ISP and have things connected from ISP Modem - RBR50 - PC/TV/etc.

Was wondering if it's possible to have things setup as ISP Modem - 2.5 Switch - RBR50 - TV/.... And another Port off the 2.5 switch over to my PC.  Only my PC has a 2.5 GPB network card the rest are still 10/100/1000 connections. 

If this is possible looking to up my ISP Speed 

TIA,

Cliyeh

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: 2.5 GBps Switch

What is the brand and model# of this switch? 

Typical switch locations is after the router. Modem>Router<>Switch connected behind the router. 

Not much benefit of using the switch since the RBR and I presume your modem maybe as well all 1000Mbps. 

Message 2 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@cliyeh wrote:

Was wondering if it's possible to have things setup as ISP Modem - 2.5 Switch - RBR50 - TV/.... And another Port off the 2.5 switch over to my PC.  Only my PC has a 2.5 GPB network card the rest are still 10/100/1000 connections. 

If this is possible looking to up my ISP Speed 

As @FURRYe38 pointed out, increasing the ISP speed over 1GB is pointless because the Orbi Router has only a 1GB WAN port.

If the existing modem is actually "only a modem", that single Ethernet port must be connected to only one device (the router).

If the existing modem is actually a  combination modem/router (with more than one Ethernet port) then it could be placed as described with the consequence that the PC will not be able to access any devices on the network and devices on the network will not be able to access the PC.  With the existing modem, of course, that 2.5GB Ethernet in the PC will automatically drop to 1GB.

A lot depends on:

• Exactly which device the ISP would install to achieve greater than 1GB speed, and
  • Whether it matters what the PC can connect to and what can connect to the PC.

When users are considering "going fast", a more typical approach is to replace the modem with one capable of greater than 1GB on the WAN side and having at least one port on the LAN side capable of greater than 1GB, such as the RBRE960:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBRE960/RBRE960_TS.pdf  This is a LOT of MONEY.

Message 3 of 10
cliyeh
Aspirant

Thanks for  the reply.  Yes I know typically switch will go after router.  I'm trying to avoid upgrading a new router.  I only have 1 device (PC) that is capable of going past the 1 Gig, that's why I wanted to split that connection out and then use the orbi for my wifi.  Can it be setup as an access point that way?

Message 4 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

The key item of information is the ISP device.

• If it is "only a modem", then the Orbi needs to be connected directly to it and be in router mode.
  • If the ISP device is actually a combination modem/router, then yes, the Orbi can be placed in Access Point (AP) mode.

There are two easy ways to determine this:

• If the ISP device has only a single Ethernet port, then it is almost certainly a modem.  If it has more than one Ethernet port, then it is probably a router.
  • Does the Orbi web browser interface, Advanced Tab report the Internet Port IP address as a public IP or as a Private IP?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network   A public IP indicates the ISP is a modem. A private IP indicates that it is a router.
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

If your ISP modem has a router built in and has a 2.5Gb port, then you could feed the 2.5Gb switch then connect your PC and the Orbi to the switch. Would need to configure AP mode on the Orbi to make things simpler. 

Otherwise, if the modem is a modem only or only has a 1Gb WAN port connection, then you can't use the switch in between the modem and Orbi router. 

@cliyeh wrote:

Thanks for  the reply.  Yes I know typically switch will go after router.  I'm trying to avoid upgrading a new router.  I only have 1 device (PC) that is capable of going past the 1 Gig, that's why I wanted to split that connection out and then use the orbi for my wifi.  Can it be setup as an access point that way?

Message 6 of 10
cliyeh
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies.  I'm using a stand alone Spectrum 2.5 GBps Modem and the Orbi.  The router they gave me is crap.

Cliyeh

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Or get into a 9 series Orbi. Otherwise you have that you have. 

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 10
plemans
Guru

If you have a modem only device and an unmanaged 2.5gig switch, you can't go modem---->switch--->router/devices. 

|

Computer

spectrum only supplies I public ip address. And then its up to the router to take the public ip address and give devices private IP addresses (simplified version). 

The router does that. If you put a switch/device before the router, that computer will get the public ip address and will be the only device with ethernet. 

So it limits your options. 

either: 

1. upgrade to a router that has the capability of more than 1 greater than 1 gig ports. Many of netgears only have the 1x 2.5/5/10gig ports. 

2. be satisfied with the 1 gig speeds since only your PC supports faster speeds. 

3. Upgrade the modem to something like the CAX80 that has a multigig modem built in and a multigig port output. Then you could connect your switch to the multigig port and the orbi (in access point mode) to either the switch or the CAX to provide additional coverage. Not sure if the CAX is compatible with spectrum, just using it for an example. 

Message 9 of 10
cliyeh
Aspirant

k you.  Make perfect sense.  Will see what other options are.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7