Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

(2) PS4 are unable to connect using NETGEAR Orbi RBK14

chykityta
Aspirant

(2) PS4 are unable to connect using NETGEAR Orbi RBK14

I do GAMING and STREAMING.

I bought a NETGEAR Orbi RBK14 from Amazon that contains Orbi router (RBR10) plus three Orbi satellites (RBS10).  I received it yesterday and installed it same day.

1. Is this the best for PC and console gaming?
  2. Is this the best for streaming?
  3. Why does my PS4 not connect with the Orbi due to "DNS not found" even though this DNS issue has been happening since 2019? I cannot use either of the two PS4's with the satellite--even though one of the consoles is less than 10 feet away from the Orbi router.
    1. the  PlayStation that is close to the Router disconnects every 5 minutes
    2. the PlayStation that is connected to a Satellite says DNS not found

The version that is mentioned on the Orbi app is 2.9.5.14

Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: (2) PS4 are unable to connect using NETGEAR Orbi RBK14

@chykityta wrote:

I bought a NETGEAR Orbi RBK14 from Amazon that contains Orbi router (RBR10) plus three Orbi satellites (RBS10).  I received it yesterday and installed it same day.

1. Is this the best for PC and console gaming?
  2. Is this the best for streaming?

"Best" is not the right question.  Is it "good enough?" is more appropriate, and the answer is "Probably. Depending on the ISP connection speed."  Netgear's "10" series Orbi product is obviously designed to compete with lower cost mesh WiFi systems, such as Google Mesh, TP-Link Deco M5, Amazon eero, etc..  It is a "dual band" system, where the 5G WiFi backhaul shares the same radio as the user 5G WiFi devices.  Higher end (more expensive) systems are typically "Tri Band" where the 5G WiFi backhaul is on separate radios and separate WiFi channels.  Head to head, none of these systems will match Tri Band WiFi systems for maximum throughput.  But, what matters is if the performance meets your needs. Why spend more money if you don't need to?

@chykityta wrote:
  1. Why does my PS4 not connect with the Orbi due to "DNS not found" even though this DNS issue has been happening since 2019? I cannot use either of the two PS4's with the satellite--even though one of the consoles is less than 10 feet away from the Orbi router.

The DNS not found message is coming from the PS4 and indicates that the DNS setting in the PS4 is not correct. Devices often have settings to (a) use the DNS service provided by the router, or (b) use specific DNS servers defined by the user.  Most people pick (a) by default. If they pick (b), they often use 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8.

Message 2 of 8
chykityta
Aspirant

The DNS not found message is coming from the PS4 and indicates that the DNS setting in the PS4 is not correct. Devices often have settings to (a) use the DNS service provided by the router, or (b) use specific DNS servers defined by the user.  Most people pick (a) by default. If they pick (b), they often use 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8.

I've never had to mess with this setting in the past. PLUS, it is two different errors: one PS4 gets kicked out of network every 5 minutes and the other PS4 says DNS not found. I manually added the network by including the two DNS addresses but that didn't work.

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@chykityta wrote:
  2. Why does my PS4 not connect with the Orbi due to "DNS not found" even though this DNS issue has been happening since 2019? I cannot use either of the two PS4's with the satellite--even though one of the consoles is less than 10 feet away from the Orbi router.

I am not aware of an Orbi DNS issue that has been around since 2019.

When the PS4 is configured to use the Orbi WiFi, does it appear in the Orbi app "Connected Devices" list?

Are there any troubleshooting capabilities in the PS4?  (Can it "ping" an IP address, such as 1.1.1.1 or 192.168.1.1?)

The PS4 that gets disconnected every 5 minutes, does IT originally show up in the Connected Devices list?

Does it function correctly for five minutes?

And then what happens?

(It would be more efficient if someone proficient with PlayStation would comment.  My gaming involves physical things moved around a board.)

@FURRYe38 

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Are the consoles wireless or wired? 

What happens if the console connects to the RBR only. Turn OFF the RBS temporarily. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Are these the only two devices that do not connect correctly? 

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Are the consoles wireless or wired? 

RBS10 has no ethernet port. From the description, my understanding is that they both connect with WiFi.

Message 6 of 8
chykityta
Aspirant

There is only one router with one ethernet port and that router is closest to the console that is online for only 5 minutes. That being said, I tried to connect the console to wifi first and it seemed to work. It was possible network issues last night since I was having the same yesterday.

The other console, however, still doesn't connect into the network through WI-FI. This is the one that says DNS issue. There is no way for me to connect it through ethernet.

This is the first time I've ever had DNS issues  in the time I've had my personal PS4 since 4+ years ago with multiple ISPs. 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd recommend that you return the 1 series Orbi and maybe find a different model Orbi. Not really sure if the 1 series will be best for your needs. You might check out the MK62 or MK63 system instead. At least the satellites have a ethernet port. 

You can connect a GB LAN switch to the back of the main router for additional LAN ports.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7