Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access Control gone v2.7.0.70

Mstrbig
Master

Re: SOLVED: Access Control gone v2.7.0.70

For  what it's Worth:

Today is a boring day because of the Tropical Storm off our coast.

Since there is so much discussion about V2.7.0.70, I thought I would spend time to setup a test RBK50 system and manually upgrade it to 2.7.0.70 and share the results. 

The router and 2 satellites had 2.5.1.16 on it and was very stable, with no issues whatsoever. 

I used the IP addresses of the satellites and router and logged in using a browser, and first upgraded the 2 RBS50 satellites, one at a time.

When they were complete and totally back online, I upgraded the RBR50 router.

After it fully came back up, I rebooted the system.

The system has been running stable for about 3 hours, with 5 2.4Ghz wireless cameras, 2 5Ghz wireless Echo devices, 2 wired PCs and 1 5Ghz wireless PC, 2 5Ghz wireless laptops, 2 5Ghz wireless iPads, 3 5Ghz wireless cellphones, 2 2.4Ghz wireless printers, 1 wired cellspot, 1 wired Android box, 1 2.4 GHZ wireless Stereo receiver and 1 2.4Ghz wireless Blueray player.

It took about 30 minutes before the app and GUI showed the correct connections. And I had to shut down 3 devices and turn them back on to get them to connect to the proper Orbi. Now the system is very stable, with no issues whatsoever. 

Message 26 of 31
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My fully operational v2.7.0.70 was short lived.  This afternoon I gave the router a final push by doing a factory reset with v2.7.0.70 installed.  After getting settings the way I like them everything was fine until I logged out and then logged back in later and was greated with same "To use Access Control, please use the Orbi App."  Just like previous attempts with v2.7.0.70, I was able to set Access Control to block all new connections.  Noting the default is to let new devices connect.  For the life of me, why would you have Access Control enabled and let new devices connect unattended?

Bottom line, I'm back to square one.  Believe I will revert back to previous firmware version and call it quits.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 27 of 31
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Retired_Member wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

A reset would be good to check to see if that helps with what your having problems with after v70 is loaded. I would do this at some later point when you have more time and feel like trying it. 

Became motivated this afternoon and reapplied V2.7.0.70.  Amazingly, everything seems to be working fine.  Access Control is now available again under Advanced tab using the web interface.  Wasn't necessary to do a factory reset after installing 2.7.0.70 however doing the factory reset with 2.5.1.16 must have corrected whatever was keeping newer v70 from providing all the intended features.

Thank you to all those who contributed especially @FURRYe38 

Apparently I was too quick to reply my success.  After changing the default Access Control from Allow all new devices to connect to Block all new devices from connecting, logout then log back in and I was back to seeing message to use Orbi app to manage Access Control.  I'm back to v2.5.1.16 which provides me with the options I want.  Will just have to wait until a new v70 version appears.  Sure am not willing to spend $89.99 for an extended support plan and end up having Netgear elevate this issue to their developers.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 28 of 31
Mstrbig
Master

The only negative thing I noticed so far with firmware 2.7.0.70, is the app malfunctions and show the router offline when it's not. Other than that, internet speed is faster, the GUI works as it should, the router and satellites are stable, with 23 various devices connected to it, and Access control works perfectly. 

Message 29 of 31
Greg00001
Star

Orbi only shows i have 21 devices connected but I have over 50. The last few firmware updates have never worked correctly even after factory resets and clean setups. How can a block a device from connecting if it never knows it connected? Doesn't matter what I boot/reboot. I can run a ip scan and have over 50 devices on the network and orbi says 21.
Message 30 of 31
Mstrbig
Master

@Greg00001 wrote:
Orbi only shows i have 21 devices connected but I have over 50. The last few firmware updates have never worked correctly even after factory resets and clean setups. How can a block a device from connecting if it never knows it connected? Doesn't matter what I boot/reboot. I can run a ip scan and have over 50 devices on the network and orbi says 21.

Go to orbilogin.com > Advanced tab > Security > Access Control

scroll down to View list of allowed devices not currently connected to the network

Remove all devices you see there

scroll down to View list of blocked devices not currently connected to the network

Remove all devices you see there

Not sure if this helps, but it helped here with my test system.

Also I found after upgrading to 2.7.0.70, I had to go to several devices and forget networks and rejoin the WIFI for them to show up, even though they had WIFI.

Message 31 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7