Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Add Satellite Bandwidth?

kennethjart
Tutor

Add Satellite Bandwidth?

We have Orbi RB50 router+two satellites (that's 2-3yrs old).  We experience buffering in some places of 1800 sq ft older home (with plaster walls).  We cannot put router in center of home.  If we add a satellite, how much does this affect signal strength? Weakens it?  Lowers bandwidth?  Good idea?  Bad idea?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Add Satellite Bandwidth?

Ordinarily, three access points should cover 1,800 sq. ft.  However, the router is probably against one outside wall and all that plaster.  Older homes often have brick chimneys left over from coal furnaces in the basement.  Adding another satellite that "Daisy Chains" off of one of the existing satellites can improve performance in that "dead area".  Before spending a lot of money, it might be useful to walk around the house and produce a "Heat Map" showing what the WiFi signal is at various places.  I use a free Heat Map app on my Android tablet, but any WiFi Analyzer app will show the signal level.  I believe the Orbi App could be used to do this.  Go to the Device Manager icon, bring up the display for the mobile phone, then walk around and see how the connection rate changes.

This also could be a function of the antenna on the streaming device.  I have one DVR player that is buried inside a cabinet along with a bunch of other electronics.  It's signal strength is pretty dismal, but I use the WiFi on this DVR only to update firmware once every six months or so, so it's not a problem.

Message 2 of 7
randomousity
Luminary

I don't know which satellite(s) you have (I assume RBS50, but correct me if I'm wrong). If I'm right, you have the ability to run a wired backhaul (run an ethernet cable from the router to one, or both, satellites; or from one satellite to the other; or from the router to one satellite, and from that satellite to the other satellite), and then place the satellites in better locations that help you eliminate the coverage gaps you're experiencing.

You could also just try placing the satellites in different locations in your home. You might not be able to eliminate your dead spots that way, but you might be able to put them in less inconvenient places. If you have a guest bedroom with great coverage, but it's typically empty, you might be better off rearranging your satellites, letting that room be in a dead spot so you can get better coverage in, say, your kitchen, bedroom, or wherever you commonly spend time.

Even something as simple as changing which direction the router or satellites are facing, putting them on a different shelf, etc, could improve things for you. Closer to the floor might cause there to be more obstacles for the signal, since a lot of furniture and fixtures are within three feet/one meter up fom the floor (sofas, chests, recliners, a lot of cabinetry, tubs, sinks, appliances, etc).

So maybe, first, experiment with how far up from the floor things are, and which direction they're facing. If that doesn't impvore things, try moving the satellites to different rooms to see if you get better coverage that way. If that still doesn't solve things, try running (a) wired backhaul(s) so you can get more distance between the various APs.

Also, sometimes people experience issues with devices not connecting to the nearest AP. Eg, if your streaming device is closer to the satellite than the router, but is connected to the router, it will have a weaker signal and lower bandwidth than if it connected to the closer satellite. If it's a mobile device, like a laptop or tablet, it may not hand off properly to the nearest AP, depending on how old it is and which wireless protocols it supports. Sometimes, just rebooting a device will cause it to connect to a better AP. Or even turning off the distal AP, forcing the device to connect to the proximal one, and turning back on the distal one again. Also depending on the age of the device, it may just be that it can't fully take advantage of the Orbi. Your Orbi is 802.11ac/Wifi 5, but if your other device is only 802.11n (Wifi 4), or worse, 802.11g (Wifi 3), you'll always be limited to the performance of the slower device, no matter your AP placement, how many APs you have, etc.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@kennethjart wrote:

We have Orbi RB50 router+two satellites (that's 2-3yrs old).  We experience buffering in some places of 1800 sq ft older home (with plaster walls).  We cannot put router in center of home.  If we add a satellite, how much does this affect signal strength? Weakens it?  Lowers bandwidth?  Good idea?  Bad idea?  Thanks.

Message 4 of 7
kennethjart
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestions 👍🏼

Message 5 of 7
kennethjart
Tutor

Thanks for all the info 👍🏼

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38