Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bad Backhaul between ORBI RBR50 and multiple RBS50

Barrebarre
Aspirant

Bad Backhaul between ORBI RBR50 and multiple RBS50

I have a central ORBI router, which worked perfectly with 1 satelite.

I bought a second satelite. Which wasnt really good working (Bad backhaul)

I assumed it was the distance and bought a 3th one in between. Now I have Bad backhaul for the 2 satelites and 1 one with good.

If I reboot everything. Randomly 1 will give good connection and 2 bad connection. Even if the distance between router and satelite is only 10 meter.

The result is a connection drop of 10 to 30 seconds randomly for all devices connected to the satelites with bad backhaule.

There are moments that the connectio is stable for more than 24 hours, there are moments where I have drops each 15 min.

I wasnt unable to define external parameters which uinfluenced this drop (not related to bandwidth usage, nr of devices connected, stability of ISP,...)

Im currently using firmware V2.5.1.16 will upgrade now to V2.5.2.4 but I have little hope this will solve the problem as I upgraded already multiple times in the past for the same issue...

I have the impression that ORBI is not working fine with multiple satelites.

Someone the same conclusion?

Is there something I can configure to get a better backhaule?

Thx

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Bad Backhaul between ORBI RBR50 and multiple RBS50

What size is your home?

What are the interior walls made of? Certain materials block wifi better than others. 

When you've had multiple satellites with bad backhaul it makes me either suspicious of the router or the home/layout. 

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

It's recommended to keep v16 loaded...

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

@Barrebarre wrote:

I have a central ORBI router, which worked perfectly with 1 satelite.

I bought a second satelite. Which wasnt really good working (Bad backhaul)

I assumed it was the distance and bought a 3th one in between. Now I have Bad backhaul for the 2 satelites and 1 one with good.

If I reboot everything. Randomly 1 will give good connection and 2 bad connection. Even if the distance between router and satelite is only 10 meter.

The result is a connection drop of 10 to 30 seconds randomly for all devices connected to the satelites with bad backhaule.

There are moments that the connectio is stable for more than 24 hours, there are moments where I have drops each 15 min.

I wasnt unable to define external parameters which uinfluenced this drop (not related to bandwidth usage, nr of devices connected, stability of ISP,...)

Im currently using firmware V2.5.1.16 will upgrade now to V2.5.2.4 but I have little hope this will solve the problem as I upgraded already multiple times in the past for the same issue...

I have the impression that ORBI is not working fine with multiple satelites.

Someone the same conclusion?

Is there something I can configure to get a better backhaule?

Thx

Message 3 of 5
Barrebarre
Aspirant

Hello,

Distance of the router to the satelites is between 10m (30ft) and 15m (45ft)

Between the satelites and the router there are 2 brick walls, and a wooden ceiling.

My first idea was indeed the home layout. but I payed with the position of the satelites and didn't noticed a remarkable difference.

And again the problem is only when I connect multiple satelites. 

The only thing what could cause troubles I imagine is that my router is installed next to my electricity box,

but I never had issues with this in the past with other brands...

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

the problem is those brick walls. 

Brick is literally one of the best blockers of wifi. Its up there with cement and metal. 

You might have to find a way to hardwire in the satellites to get a decent backhaul if you're having brick

Options:

1. run an ethernet wire

2. powerline

3. moca adapters (ethernet over coax)

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7