Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Best Performance for Ring Devices (Orbi Config. Settings)

DorkiOrbiFW
Apprentice

Best Performance for Ring Devices (Orbi Config. Settings)

Hello Orbi Community,

I am sure a lot of you use a Ring Video Doorbell, Ring Spotlight Cam, Ring Floodlight Cam, etc. on your Orbi network. I have seen a good majority of Orbi users that have Ring products start and continue to conversate on how to resolve issues with Ring Live View not working at random times or simply not at all. I am pleased to report that I will finally put a nail in the coffin to all the frustration and get your Ring devices working flawlessly as they should be!

If you are using a Ring Chime Pro to extend your network for your Ring devices, you won't need it after you reads my configuration settings and/or recommendations for your Orbi. Ditch that crap as it broadcasts additional wireless signals that just plain simply cause interference on your network. Without further ado, here we go...

Recommended configuration:

• Advanced -> Setup -> Wireless Setup (Could be omitted if your channels work for your environment)
    • Set 2.4Ghz to Channel 6
    • Set 5Ghz to Channel 40
  • Advanced -> Setup -> WAN Setup
    • Disable IGMP proxying
    • Under the Nat Filtering section, do the following:
      • Disable SIP ALG
      • Select OPEN
    • Hit APPLY (light blue button) to save your changes for that area of the new configuration. Once done, continue on to the rest of the configuration.
  • Advanced -> Setup -> LAN Setup
    • Set a static IP address for EACH Ring device on your network
    • Hit APPLY (light blue button) to save your changes for that area of the new configuration. Once done, continue on to the rest of the configuration.
  • Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> Wireless Settings
    • Disable WMM (Wi-Fi Multimedia) on BOTH the 2.4Ghz band and the 5Ghz band (simply uncheck the option to disable).
    • Disable MU-MIMO (simply uncheck the option to disable).
    • Disable Fast Roaming (simply uncheck the option to disable).
  • Reboot the Orbi and wait for a good 5-10 minutes for your router to "settle" itself and for your satellites (if any) to sync back to the router. Your new configuration is now complete and ALL of your Ring devices should work and fucntion as intended. If you still have issues, comment on this discussion and I'll gladly assist.

Hope this ends the frustration for ALL Orbi and Ring users like myself!
    [My Ring Lineup: 2 Ring Video Doorbell Pros, 4 Ring Spotlight Cams, 2 Ring Floodlight Cams, & 2 Ring Chimes (not the extender version)]

Best,
Message 1 of 73

Accepted Solutions
DorkiOrbiFW
Apprentice

Re: Best Performance for Ring Devices (Orbi Config. Settings)

Hello everyone,

There has been a lot that has happened since the last time I wrote.... so allow me to give a BIG explanation and a PERMANENT fix to ALL THIS CRAP! 

1. I truly thought that I did have defective spotlight cams, but turns out after a week and a half of the installation of all the replacements issued for my old units, I was back at square one with inconsistent launching of live view feeds.
    • END RESULT: ISSUE PERSISTED; NOT DEFECTIVE CAMERAS
  2. I began to realize that I had an ongoing Orbi problem that was causing satellites to have syncing issues and dropping connection on devices  connected to them at random despite my satellites all showing "GOOD" backhaul status. I kept waiting for a good and stable firmware to come out from Netgear to correct any bugs (if any) to correct the issues I was experiencing and firmware 2.3.5.30 came out. However, the issue still persisted and caused my Orbi to still operate incorrectly. I became desperate and was seriously about to RMA my entire system, but I also know that a factory reset after a major firmware update is sometimes needed to clear old and incompatible configurations from previous firmwares that cause the Orbi to misbehave.
    • END RESULT: ISSUE PERSISTED; NOT BAD FIRMWARE
  3. Factory reset my entire system (Orbi router and satellites) and setup from scratch.
    • END RESULT: ISSUE PERSISTED
  4. So.... WTF was the solution you ask? 
    • My solution came from an article I stumbled upon that listed to run telnet commands I had yet to try to correct the issues I was experiencing. @SW_'s tip and/or trick RESOLVED ALL issues I was experiencing. His trick assists in "fixing the Orbi WiFi network becoming unstable, random rebooting, and WiFi connectivity problems that occur after applying new Firmware Update(s)." However, I did modify his trick slightly. Please proceed to item number (5) for the proper solution to fix your ongoing issues with your Rings Spotlight Cams, other Ring devices, or hell, even any other regular device experiencing issues on your Orbi network.
  5. SOLUTION
    1. Go to the debug page of the satellite (EX: Unit_IP_Address/debug.htm) and click the checkbox near Telnet to ENABLE Telnet (do process on router and ALL satellites).
    2. Telnet into each satellite along with the router and type the following codes EXACTLY as shown and in the EXACT order (The codes may be executed on ALL Orbi routers and satellites, with the exception of the RBW30 satellite. If you have RBW30, please see alternate form.):
      • config default
      • config commit
      • reboot
    3. Alternate Telnet Form - Applies to RBW30 Satellites Only
      • reset
      • reboot
    4. When you complete the above commands via telnet on your satellites, they should begin rebooting and pulse white.
    5. Factory reset the Orbi and setup from scratch. DO NOT utilize a backup file of an old configuration as you will defeat the purpose of this process and the issues willl then reoccur. 
    6. Connect to the factory default SSID name that is now being broadcasted by your Orbi router and then go through the Orbi setup wizard. To get things up and running faster, I highly suggest hitting "skip" when it prompts you to setup satellites as you can do that later and it is best to wait to sync your satellites after you change Orbi's default advanced settings in order to have your Ring devices perform well.
    7. Configuring your Orbi for Ring Best Performance (this has been updated since last time I wrote in):
      • BASIC -> Wireless, choose 40 for 5Ghz band (Offers the best signal and usually permits Orbi to have the best backhaul. Netgear recommends this channel for 5Ghz) and utilize whatever 2.4Ghz channel works best in your environment and your Ring devices. In my environment, I run 2.4Ghz band on Channel 3, and 5Ghz on Channel 40. Hit Apply when completed!
      • ADVANCED -> Setup -> WAN Setup, under the section titled NAT filtering, select the OPEN radio button. Then, click on the checkbox to Disable SIP ALG. Hit Apply when completed!
      • ADVANCED -> Setup -> LAN Setup, give ALL Ring devices address reservations (MUST). I also recommend giving all satellites an address reservation as well (though the satellite address reservation is optional and not required). Hit Apply when completed!
      • ADVANCED -> Advanced Setup -> Wireless Settings, please ensure your configuration matches the configuration below. If you don't have your configuration the same as mine here, you will experience issues with your Ring devices. Hit Apply when completed!
        • DISABLE WMM on BOTH 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz
        • DISABLE MU-MIMO
        • ENABLE Implicit Beamforming
        • ENABLE Fast Roaming
  6. Add all your satellites back to your Orbi router to enable synchronization.
  7. Most Ring devices will reconnect on their own and be stable in about 2 days after the intensive troubleshooting on your Orbi network. However, if they do not, just go on outside and simply reconnect them to the Orbi network and you'll be just fine.
  8. ENJOY! I have had no issues to date! Smiley Very Happy

*If you have any questions on how to access telnet, DM me and I'll gladly assist you or you can find how to do it via other forums listed within the community.

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 73

All Replies
Drewmama
Guide

Thank you for this. After doing the steps, it didn't work so I unplugged my Echo show for a bit, reset my Ring doorbell and the two are playing nice so far. However, live view wasn't working. I would just get a black video. So I changed the 2.4 channel back to 1 and everything appears to be working as it should.
Message 2 of 73
DorkiOrbiFW
Apprentice

@Drewmama wrote:
Thank you for this. After doing the steps, it didn't work so I unplugged my Echo show for a bit, reset my Ring doorbell and the two are playing nice so far. However, live view wasn't working. I would just get a black video. So I changed the 2.4 channel back to 1 and everything appears to be working as it should.

I eventually had to change my 2.4Ghz channel back to 1. Then, after rebooting the Orbi, a factory reset of each Ring device you have should correct the issue. Glad this helped you out! Ring devices are EXTREMELY sensitive to settings on the 

Best,

Message 3 of 73
Drewmama
Guide

Ugh... My Echo show went back to not being able to display live view when asked. This is so frustrating.
Message 4 of 73
Rrgirgis
Star

hey drewmama,

the above settings mentioned are very good
to make sure that you get good performance from your orbi. However this has been discussed in another thread; if you are using any Ring Battery device live view will only work on occasion no matter what setting you have put on your orbi. i have tried every setting combination and live view will not work consistently- again this is only on Ring battery devices, ring hardwired devices will live view fine with orbi.

There are 2 solution/work arounds to live view on Orbi for Ring Battery devices.

1. use a separate wifi router (in Access Point Mode) in conjunction with orbi to connect the ring battery device to. I am using an asus wifi router as an access point for just my two ring battery stick up cams and live view works flawlessly every time.

second option - its to get a ring chime pro and connect the ring battery device to it and that will solve the the live view issue.
i tried this option and it does work however its signal is weak and i needed more wifi signal power to reach my devices.

so ring plug in cameras/doorbell pro work with orbi without any addtional device.

if it is a battery ring camera you MUST use one of the two options to make live view work consistently!

please check through the last few pages of this thread below it goes over what i mentioned above in more detail and confirms that no orbi settings will make live view work on ring battery devices with out the two options above.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-and-Ring-products-issues/td-p/1500211

hope this helps
Message 5 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Drewmama wrote:
Ugh... My Echo show went back to not being able to display live view when asked. This is so frustrating.

Message 6 of 73
Drewmama
Guide

@Rrgirgis- my Ring doorbell is hardwired.
Message 7 of 73
DorkiOrbiFW
Apprentice

@Rrgirgis, this has been discussed on a different page, but I’ve seen nobody put all of the settings together as one consolidated solution. Thus, it is why i put another thread to finally accomplish that.

As for Ring devices, I never had any issues 100% on any Ring device that is hardwired with doing the settings I mentioned and running the latest software. However, my Ring Battery devices (all of which are Ring Spotlight Cam Battery modelos running on Solar), used to ALWAYS work, but now that you say no matter what I change, I’ll still end up with live view inconsistencies. This I can attest too, but it only occurred on the most recent update (Version 2.3.1.58, which is the current version for my system (RBK40).

Message 8 of 73
DorkiOrbiFW
Apprentice

@FURRYe38, please stop with your typical response. Those settings are comepletely invalid for this situation and for someone to put a working solution, only for you to put your crap that does the opposite, only confuses others more and is not a very wise choice. 

Message 9 of 73
DorkiOrbiFW
Apprentice

@Drewmama, are those Ring devices your experiencing trouble with still connected to a satellite? If so, please continue to my next question.

What is your method for the Orbi backhaul (wireless or hardwired)? If it is wireless, change your 5Ghz channel to 40 as this promotes better backhaul strength and even Netgear recommends that channel for wireless backhaul as it’s a pretty stable channel for the most part.

Sidenote: Most Ring Doorbells are 5Ghz capable, so if your system uses a crappy 5Ghz channel, that could be a contributing factor that’s not allowing your live view to work. If your already utilizing channel 40 for 5Ghz, reach out to me directly or post here. Don’t listen to @FURRYe38 as he does typical responses of reboots and change channels. I know the Ring devices inside and out and know how the Orbi works inside and out. As for @Rrgirgis, he seems correct so far as the only Ring devices I have trouble with are ones that run on batteries. While I get his point of adding the Ring Chime to get those devices to work, you shouldn’t have to do this. I want answers and i will be reaching out to Ring AND Orbi to hopefully set things straight. I believe there is Firmware that needs fixing as I never used to have ANY problems whatsoever whether the device was wireless or hardwired.

Let me know and I’ll help you continue to troubleshoot!

Best,

Message 10 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Please don't tell others what to do. All responses are valid. If users don't wish to respond thats fine. I'll post as I see fit. 

Thank you. 

Message 11 of 73
DorkiOrbiFW
Apprentice

@FURRYe38, I like you and have nothing against you, but honestly, if I gave a known working solution and you go and provide opposite settings that will only make the Orbi work WORSE with the Ring devices, why put it on this thread to confuse people even more?

You give this typical response on some situations you know nothing about. I have seen you put this solution on multiple threads and more often than not I see others that tell you the same thing that I just did.

You can post whatever you wish, but I’m just letting you know that it’s probably best to not discuss things that you are not familiar with yourself.

Take care,

Message 12 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

I'm familar with many things.

Have a nice day. 

Message 13 of 73
Drewmama
Guide

@DorkiOrbiFW  - 

The ring doorbell (1st generation ring doorbell - hardwired power) is/was currently connected to the Orbi (RBR20) even though the satellite is closer.  I notice in the Orbi app when I view connected devices, sometimes it shows up and sometimes it doesn't.  For example,  just did a live view from my phone and for whatever reason, the ring doorbell isn't showing up as a connected device.  Weird?  

I have the latest firmware v 2.3.5.26 for my model.  The RSSI strength for my ring doorbell is currently showing as RSSI-42.  When it's connected to the satellite, I've seen it as low as RSSI-32.  The satellite is at least 30 feet from the router.  My house is a long rectangular shape and the Orbi router is at the far corner end of the house while the satellite is at the other end.  The ring doorbell is in between the router and the satellite but much closer to the satellite.  My house is 1900 sq ft (2 story).

I changed the 5 ghz channel to 40 (it was at 48).  The 2.4 ghz channel is set to 1.

What I don't understand is that my phone is connected to my WiFI on the 5ghz band and when I hit liveview in the ring app, I'm able to pull up the video feed but when I ask alexa to do it on my echo show, it's hit or miss (mainly miss).  

I did a speedtest on the orbi app and I see download of 409.69 Mbps and upload of 21.14 Mbps.  However when I do a speedtest through the speedtest app on my phone, I barely get 23.8 download and 20.6 upload and I'm literally sitting right next to the router.  Before I got the echo show and started changing settings, my speedtest would be at over 350 Mbps download so I'm not sure if changing the settings such as disabling WMM, MU-MIMO, Implicit Beamforming has anything to do with this difference in wireless speed.  I also noticed that after I changed the settings, a lot more devices that used to be connected to 5ghz are now connected to 2.4ghz.  My backhaul status is showing as "Good".

I appreciate any help you can provide.  

Message 14 of 73
Rrgirgis
Star

hey drewmama,

i understand you have the doorbell v1 and you have it hardwired to a power source. however, the ring doorbells v1 and v2 are still reliant on a battery and hardwiring it to a power source only facilitates it as a charger for the battery so you dont have to remove ir and charge it manually. the ring doorbell V1 still operates as any other ring battery device and unfortunately hardwiring is not what powers the device like it would be for the ring door bell Pro.

so you would still need either of the options that i mentioned to get it working (chime pro / another wifi router in AP mode) or if possible since you have a power source at your doorbell you can buy a ring doorbell pro and that will work with the orbi without any additional items needed.

i can assure you no matter what firmware/ settings you use on your orbi -ring battery devices (ring doorbell V1 and V2 / spotlight camera battery / stick up camera battery... essentially anything ring device that has a battery in it) live view on will be inconsistent and will not work.

this issue with ring battery and orbi that i can figure is that orbi being mesh does not like the way ring battery devices go to sleep to save power and therefore when called on at a moments notice (live view) it doesnt come up until you request it a few times and it forces the ring device to fully come out of sleep/power save mode.

hey dorkiorbifw, i agree this sucks and there should be a firmware update to make it work without anything else. i got my battery cameras about 4 months ago so orbi and ring battery devices may have been working in the past i cant confirm as prior to that i only had a ring doorbell pro. orbi is so good at broadcasting its signal to cover far areas it was worth it to me to get this as a work around.. i have about 40 devices connected to orbi and the ring battery items are the only ones that i had to do this for, everything other type of device works great.

hope this clarifies the issue and what we can do to fix it. as a side note i purchased the asus (rt-acrh13) to use with the orbi but you can use really any other basic wifi router.

I remember going through this issue to get live view working and being so frustrated changing settings/resetting, watching it work, then 2 minutes later it doesnt... hope this well help people know a solid working solution for orbi and ring battery devices, albeit not ideal, as i agree this should work out of the box.
Message 15 of 73
Drewmama
Guide

@Rrgirgis - Thank you for the clarification on my version of the doorbell. At least now I know not to keep banging my head against the wall to try to figure this out. Why, though, when I access live view from my phone using WiFi, that it works with no problem? If it's a Ring issue, it would seem that it should be inconsistent no matter which device on the same WiFi network I use? But it only seems to not work with the Echo. Also, when someone rings my doorbell, the Echo responds immediately so it seems that the problem is one way? I was looking to upgrade my Ring doorbell anyway so maybe I'll look into the pro version. Thank you!
Message 16 of 73
Rrgirgis
Star

hey drewmama - i am glad i have been able
to save one person from this uber frustrating process, trying 100 different settings on the orbi that will eventually never make it work then i have paid it forward! lol

when i was going through the issue we couldnt determine if it was the orbi that has the error since ring battery devices live view works well with other version of routers (asus, linksys etc) or is it the ring battery device programming that should change to keep it in a different sleep state as there are other devices on the market that use battery and (i.e. blink xt camers) it works with orbi. i think it is a problem on both ends orbi/ring the downside is trying to get either or these product giants to fix the issue may never happen and we the consumer suffer in the end.

not sure why your phone would bring up live view consistently but the echo device have issues? for me on my iphone the live view still gave me problems...

but i can tell you if there is motion or you ring the doorbell that is definitley taking the ring doorbell camera out of its sleep state so thats probably why it works when those events happen; or even if those two type of events happen and you check live view within a minute later it will probably work becuase the camera has not gone back into sleep yet. if you were to wait 10minutes with nothing triggering the camera and check live view it will give you the problems... so maybe if your phone works it could be becuase the camera was recently triggered.

yes, my friend was in the same boat as you and i told him to get the ring doorbell pro. sucks to spend more money but it is smaller has better video quality than v1 (720 vs 1080p) and major reason is if you have a wired power source from a previous doorbell the pro is the way to go.

keep me posted on what you chose, hopefully it makes the nightmare go away! lol
Message 17 of 73
DorkiOrbiFW
Apprentice

Hello everyone,

I realize I have been MIA on this discussion for quite some time, but I had been doing some extensive troubleshooting with Ring. It was a long battle with Ring, as I was 95% sure it was on their end. After finally getting through to a Level 2 Representative from Ring, I was finally getting somewhere towards the solution! 

Ring at first was blaming the Orbi for causing the devices to "node hop" (meaning the device was hoping back-and-fourth between satellites). However, I knew that was not the case. Changing channels and numerous amount of settings from my original configuration did nothing to keep Live View functionality stable. As I have four Ring Spotlight Cam Battey devices, Ring at first didn't believe ALL were defective, so I purposed this solution...

I told them to send me ONLY one replacement camera and if if Live View remains stable for at least 3 days, then I know for a fact that I have defective cameras that need replaced. I installed this new, one replacement this past Thursday and Live View events have been rock solid to this date! If I had to guess, the WiFi module was shot on my old cameras, causing the Orbi to try to force the device to connect to different satellites to improve signal strength due to the defective antenna on the camera. 

Please CALL, DO NOT CHAT with Ring. You must explain all the basic things you have already done to try to correct this issue already as this will get you promoted to speaking with a Level 2 Representative (sometimes saying that you're an engineer immediately gives you Level 2 support). Once you get to Level 2, tell them to rollback the firmware on your troublesome Ring devices to version cam-1.22.21. Then, give it a day to see if it remains stable (we both know it won't, but you do have to go through the proper commands). As your Ring agent will have a ticket established with you, you direct line to that person will be via email. After the day passes, instruct them to send you ONLY one replacement for one of your defective cameras to rule out the possibility of the device being defective. If the replacement solves the issue for one of the troublesome cameras, then ALL of your Ring Spotlight Cams are defective and will need to be replaced. 

I have had issues like this before with my Ring Floodlight Cams (I had no audio coming in on feeds due to a bad microphone and had to get both of those replaced. After I got replacements, no issues thus far). It seems like Ring devices only last up to about 3 years before they go bad from what I've seen.

As for the configuration of the Orbi, my configuration is the correct way to ensure your Ring devices remain stable and provide a Ring of Security around your home. However, to make sure nothing was changed after I did some troubleshooting with Ring, I am going to repost my current configuration of my Orbi to share with you all.

Thank you for your patience and please do report if this has or will fix your issue on your end!

Best,

Message 18 of 73
Techbob
Aspirant

Thanks!
I have 3 RVD connected to original doorbell wiring, and 2 spot cam batteries with solar panels

I will be eagerly waiting to see what you find out to help these. In the meantime I am going back to conventional WiFi
Message 19 of 73
jrmarinaro
Tutor

so far so good, I'm so glad I found this post, it's been two days and Live view is working perfectly with my Spotlight Cam, still have my ring doorbell connected to my Chime Pro due to the fact I get better signal, finally some hope with this ongoing issue!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 20 of 73
pedro0223
Aspirant

When I disable WMM on both 2.4Ghz & 5.0Ghz my internet speed drops substantially impacting all the devices on my network (150mbps+ down to less than 10 after disabling).  Are you guys experiencing this as well or am I missing something?

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 21 of 73
DorkiOrbiFW
Apprentice

Hello everyone,

There has been a lot that has happened since the last time I wrote.... so allow me to give a BIG explanation and a PERMANENT fix to ALL THIS CRAP! 

1. I truly thought that I did have defective spotlight cams, but turns out after a week and a half of the installation of all the replacements issued for my old units, I was back at square one with inconsistent launching of live view feeds.
    • END RESULT: ISSUE PERSISTED; NOT DEFECTIVE CAMERAS
  2. I began to realize that I had an ongoing Orbi problem that was causing satellites to have syncing issues and dropping connection on devices  connected to them at random despite my satellites all showing "GOOD" backhaul status. I kept waiting for a good and stable firmware to come out from Netgear to correct any bugs (if any) to correct the issues I was experiencing and firmware 2.3.5.30 came out. However, the issue still persisted and caused my Orbi to still operate incorrectly. I became desperate and was seriously about to RMA my entire system, but I also know that a factory reset after a major firmware update is sometimes needed to clear old and incompatible configurations from previous firmwares that cause the Orbi to misbehave.
    • END RESULT: ISSUE PERSISTED; NOT BAD FIRMWARE
  3. Factory reset my entire system (Orbi router and satellites) and setup from scratch.
    • END RESULT: ISSUE PERSISTED
  4. So.... WTF was the solution you ask? 
    • My solution came from an article I stumbled upon that listed to run telnet commands I had yet to try to correct the issues I was experiencing. @SW_'s tip and/or trick RESOLVED ALL issues I was experiencing. His trick assists in "fixing the Orbi WiFi network becoming unstable, random rebooting, and WiFi connectivity problems that occur after applying new Firmware Update(s)." However, I did modify his trick slightly. Please proceed to item number (5) for the proper solution to fix your ongoing issues with your Rings Spotlight Cams, other Ring devices, or hell, even any other regular device experiencing issues on your Orbi network.
  5. SOLUTION
    1. Go to the debug page of the satellite (EX: Unit_IP_Address/debug.htm) and click the checkbox near Telnet to ENABLE Telnet (do process on router and ALL satellites).
    2. Telnet into each satellite along with the router and type the following codes EXACTLY as shown and in the EXACT order (The codes may be executed on ALL Orbi routers and satellites, with the exception of the RBW30 satellite. If you have RBW30, please see alternate form.):
      • config default
      • config commit
      • reboot
    3. Alternate Telnet Form - Applies to RBW30 Satellites Only
      • reset
      • reboot
    4. When you complete the above commands via telnet on your satellites, they should begin rebooting and pulse white.
    5. Factory reset the Orbi and setup from scratch. DO NOT utilize a backup file of an old configuration as you will defeat the purpose of this process and the issues willl then reoccur. 
    6. Connect to the factory default SSID name that is now being broadcasted by your Orbi router and then go through the Orbi setup wizard. To get things up and running faster, I highly suggest hitting "skip" when it prompts you to setup satellites as you can do that later and it is best to wait to sync your satellites after you change Orbi's default advanced settings in order to have your Ring devices perform well.
    7. Configuring your Orbi for Ring Best Performance (this has been updated since last time I wrote in):
      • BASIC -> Wireless, choose 40 for 5Ghz band (Offers the best signal and usually permits Orbi to have the best backhaul. Netgear recommends this channel for 5Ghz) and utilize whatever 2.4Ghz channel works best in your environment and your Ring devices. In my environment, I run 2.4Ghz band on Channel 3, and 5Ghz on Channel 40. Hit Apply when completed!
      • ADVANCED -> Setup -> WAN Setup, under the section titled NAT filtering, select the OPEN radio button. Then, click on the checkbox to Disable SIP ALG. Hit Apply when completed!
      • ADVANCED -> Setup -> LAN Setup, give ALL Ring devices address reservations (MUST). I also recommend giving all satellites an address reservation as well (though the satellite address reservation is optional and not required). Hit Apply when completed!
      • ADVANCED -> Advanced Setup -> Wireless Settings, please ensure your configuration matches the configuration below. If you don't have your configuration the same as mine here, you will experience issues with your Ring devices. Hit Apply when completed!
        • DISABLE WMM on BOTH 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz
        • DISABLE MU-MIMO
        • ENABLE Implicit Beamforming
        • ENABLE Fast Roaming
  6. Add all your satellites back to your Orbi router to enable synchronization.
  7. Most Ring devices will reconnect on their own and be stable in about 2 days after the intensive troubleshooting on your Orbi network. However, if they do not, just go on outside and simply reconnect them to the Orbi network and you'll be just fine.
  8. ENJOY! I have had no issues to date! Smiley Very Happy

*If you have any questions on how to access telnet, DM me and I'll gladly assist you or you can find how to do it via other forums listed within the community.

Message 22 of 73
DorkiOrbiFW
Apprentice

@pedro0223 wrote:

When I disable WMM on both 2.4Ghz & 5.0Ghz my internet speed drops substantially impacting all the devices on my network (150mbps+ down to less than 10 after disabling).  Are you guys experiencing this as well or am I missing something?

@pedro0223, I have never experienced that issue when disabling WMM. When enabled it actually could cause the droppage, but not when disabled. Please try my latest solution to corect a BUNCH of issues.

Best,

Message 23 of 73
Crquixote
Aspirant

Hello I came across your post because I too am having some issues with my Ring doorbell pro after replacing my old Apple Exreme router with the ORBI RBK53.   If I try live view it takes a long time to connect. Usually the first attemp fails but the second one works. I also have 2 outdoor and 2 indoor Ring cameras that I can access / live view with out any problems. 

I'm a newbie when it comes to this network stuff and therefore would be a bit hesitant to do everything you have kindly documented.  What 2-3 changes would you suggest be done first?

Thanks!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 24 of 73
Teedoe
Aspirant

Hello. Would this configuration hinder the performance of the Orbi and its impact on other smart home devices? Would this solution work with any video doorbell experiencing connectivity issues due to a mesh network having the same SSID for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz?
Message 25 of 73
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7