Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CBR40 with CM1000 Modem Question

dbatt23
Follower

CBR40 with CM1000 Modem Question

I was curious if anybody has had success using a dedicated modem with the Orbi CBR40 (modem + router combo).  I just moved to a new place which has 1Gbps Internet service but to get 1Gbps, I need to have a DOCSIS 3.1 router. As such, I have tried to install a CM1000 modem alongside my Orbi CBR40 but am having trouble getting them to work together. I currently have the modem connected to the Orbi and an Ethernet cable coming from the Orbi to my laptop which provides Internet access. However, I am unable to connect to the Orbi wifi.  I tried setting it up in "Bridge" mode but the Orbi continually pulses white (over 1 hour). I'm not sure what next steps I should be taking and was curious if anyone has had success with getting a similar set-up to work and what configurations were made to make it work. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CBR40 with CM1000 Modem Question

You can only use one of the other. The CBK40 in bridge mode means that the entire wireless portion of the Orbi gets disabled and the CBR turns into a modem only. No WiFi MESH. Yes, this is known with the CBK40 system and how it was designed. The CBK40 can't be used in a AP mode fasion where the cable modem would get disabled, leaving the Orbi Wifi MESH system running. Thats only seen on the ORBI RBK systems. So you can either use the CBK as your modem or the CM. Can't be together. The CBK40 is based off the CM700 and can handle 32x8 and 1gb ISP services so the CBK40 should be good here. I'm bring mine back online this evening to test out on 1Gb ISP servcies. 

Message 2 of 3
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Re: CBR40 with CM1000 Modem Question

CBR40 cannot be converted to Router ONLY. (similar to RBR50). It is a combined unit.

Comcast/Xfinity ONLY allows DOCSIS 3.1 modems for gigabit.

You will either need to downgrade the service or get a CM1000 + RBK50 or RBK23, etc

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7