Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I use network cable to connect a router with a satellite

relvix
Follower

Can I use network cable to connect a router with a satellite

Hi, I have a RBR40, i.e., one RBR40 and one RBS40. I will be moving soon. If my bedroom is wired for Ethernet, can I connect the RBR40 with the RBS40 using a LAN cable (through the Ethernet jack in my bedroom)? The reason I am asking is that I am not sure if the two can connect through WIFI as the walls are thick. I would like to put the RBS40 in my bedroom so that i can have WIFI there.

Many thanks in advance.

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 4
swjmcdonnell
Aspirant

Re: Can I use network cable to connect a router with a satellite

Yes, that should work fine. Instead of wireless backhaul, you will have wired backhaul, which is probably even faster than if they were communicating wirelessly (even on a dedicated 5GHz channel).

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

It should work great. The wired backhaul will put the RBR40 system in the performance range of the RBR50 system as the backhaul was the primary difference between the 2. 

What is Ethernet backhaul and how do I set it up on my Orbi WiFi System? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 3 of 4
Jabari
Aspirant

@PrepaidGiftBalance wrote:

Hi, I have a RBR40, i.e., one RBR40 and one RBS40. I will be moving soon. If my bedroom is wired for Ethernet, can I connect the RBR40 with the RBS40 using a LAN cable (through the Ethernet jack in my bedroom)? The reason I am asking is that I am not sure if the two can connect through WIFI as the walls are thick. I would like to put the RBS40 in my bedroom so that i can have WIFI there.

Many thanks in advance.

Yea, you can't do much with the satellites. I had a bad one out of the box and netgears tech support list was to turn it off and on and click the reset button.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7