× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Challenges adding wired backhaul satellite in AP mode

Geary
Aspirant

Challenges adding wired backhaul satellite in AP mode

I have a fairly basic network config that's giving me some trouble.

Issue:
RBR50 can't find the RBS50 to add it as a satellite. Attempts to add it fail both from the mobile app as well as the browser-based config.

Basic config:
RBR50 connected via a LAN port to a switch, into which both my incoming WAN link and an RBS50 are plugged. RBR50 configured in AP mode.

Other data
The RBR50 sees the RBS50 as a wired device and shows other devices connected to the LAN ports on the RBS50 as being wired to the RBR50. I've factory reset more than once.

Do I need to configure the satellite over wifi backhaul before I can wire it? Is there some magic incantation I'm missing?

Thanks.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 3
Geary
Aspirant

Re: Challenges adding wired backhaul satellite in AP mode

Followup Q: can a satellite be added at all while the RBR50 is in AP mode?

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Challenges adding wired backhaul satellite in AP mode

@Geary wrote:

Basic config:
RBR50 connected via a LAN port to a switch, into which both my incoming WAN link and an RBS50 are plugged. RBR50 configured in AP mode.

This is the issue. Connecting both the WAN port and a LAN port to the same switch as the link to the modem will fail.  The Orbi only recognizes satellites when they appear on the LAN port.  Connect the modem directly to the Orbi WAN port, not to the switch.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7