Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Compatible with ATT

Chiprice
Follower

Compatible with ATT

Can I use the Orbi mini router RBR40 as an extender with ATT wireless
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Compatible with ATT

@Chiprice wrote:
Can I use the Orbi mini router RBR40 as an extender with ATT wireless

This question is more complicated than it may appear, depending on what you mean by "extender".

• Orbi, like almost every WiFi router, must connect to the internet with an ethernet cable.
    There are dozens of "WiFi extenders" on the market that will connect to an existing WiFi system over WiFi,
    Orbi cannot.
  • If connected to the AT&T system over ethernet, the Orbi will create a WiFi network that is separate from the AT&T WiFi network.
    So, if the goal is to "extend" the existing AT&T WiFi and have one seamless WiFi network, then No.  The Orbi will  not do this.
    The Orbi could have exactly the same WiFi name & password as the existing AT&T WiFi, but they would be separate networks.
    If a device connects to one and then moves away from it, with an Orbi network the device would eventually "roam" to another Orbi unit.  As separate systems, the device will stubbornly cling to the original network as the signal gets worst and worse and not look for another WiFi until the signal disappears altogether.
  • Most Orbi usrs have the Orbi "router" plus one or more Orbi satellite units. They disable the ISP's WiFi system entirely so that it does not compete with the Orbi for bandwidth and frequencies.  Many elect to disable the routing function of the ISP's router and use only the Modem capability.  If that is not possible, some elect to put the Orbi into "Access Point" (AP) mode.  For thousands of users, this is not necessary, but there are specific situations where having "two routers" causes problems:
    https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT 

Hope I did not confuse the situation.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7