Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting ORBI to Existing WiFi Network

ATP1001
Aspirant

Connecting ORBI to Existing WiFi Network

Was hoping to connect ORBI set to an existing WiFi network. From previous posts, it appears that it is possible by setting it up as an access point (AP). I went through the process using a browser (rather than the app), and did find this.

However, after enabling AP and entering the name of the existing WiFi network along with its associated password to which I want the ORBI to connect, it fails to do so. Thereafter, I have to go through a whole reset process (tried this more than once). It does not appear to connect (further confirmed by the flashing red of the ORBI). 

Is there a step or something that I'm missing.

Appreciate the input.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Connecting ORBI to Existing WiFi Network

@ATP1001 wrote:

Hi There - 

So, I am using the modem/router to assign the IPs. In turn, I have an existing WiFi mesh (Linksys's Velop) hardwired to the modem/router providing the WiFi.

So, I was hoping to have the Orbi bridge into the WiFi mesh. I do not want to either the Orbi or the WiFi mesh to be providing IPs.

Is there a way to get Orbi to be bridged into the WiFi mesh to be an access AP (access point)?

To incorporate your Orbi with your Linksys Velop system, the way you are describing, you would have to change your Velop to router mode to let it handle DHCP. Then connect an Orbi router, (not satellite), to your Linksys router via network cable. You could use a long cable if you need distance. Configure the Orbi as an Access Point and setup the satellites you may have. It will not be part of your existing mesh system, but will extend your WIFI capabilities.

You could try naming the SSID the same, but if the Orbi devices are to close to the Velop nodes, you could have conflicts.

A better solution would be to purchase more Velop nodes and expand what you have, or switch completely to an Orbi system. 

Being a professional installer of both systems, (nmot affiliated with Netgear), I can confirm Orbi is a better system with better coverage and more features than Velop.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
Mstrbig
Master

@ATP1001 wrote:

Was hoping to connect ORBI set to an existing WiFi network. From previous posts, it appears that it is possible by setting it up as an access point (AP). I went through the process using a browser (rather than the app), and did find this.

However, after enabling AP and entering the name of the existing WiFi network along with its associated password to which I want the ORBI to connect, it fails to do so. Thereafter, I have to go through a whole reset process (tried this more than once). It does not appear to connect (further confirmed by the flashing red of the ORBI). 

Is there a step or something that I'm missing.

Appreciate the input.

The Orbi router is connected to your existing router?

Unless I'm misunderstaning you, the Orbi is not going to connect to your existing WIFI. It is going to setup its own WIFI, but get the IP addresses from your main router. Then you can eiher disable, (suggested), your exiting system's router's WIFI or leave it on for a second WIFI

Message 2 of 5
ATP1001
Aspirant

Hi There - 

So, I am using the modem/router to assign the IPs. In turn, I have an existing WiFi mesh (Linksys's Velop) hardwired to the modem/router providing the WiFi.

So, I was hoping to have the Orbi bridge into the WiFi mesh. I do not want to either the Orbi or the WiFi mesh to be providing IPs.

Is there a way to get Orbi to be bridged into the WiFi mesh to be an access AP (access point)?

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi does not support wireless bridge mode. Only router or AP mode. 

Message 4 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

@ATP1001 wrote:

Hi There - 

To incorporate your Orbi with your Linksys Velop system, the way you are describing, you would have to change your Velop to router mode to let it handle DHCP. Then connect an Orbi router, (not satellite), to your Linksys router via network cable. You could use a long cable if you need distance. Configure the Orbi as an Access Point and setup the satellites you may have. It will not be part of your existing mesh system, but will extend your WIFI capabilities.

You could try naming the SSID the same, but if the Orbi devices are to close to the Velop nodes, you could have conflicts.

A better solution would be to purchase more Velop nodes and expand what you have, or switch completely to an Orbi system. 

Being a professional installer of both systems, (nmot affiliated with Netgear), I can confirm Orbi is a better system with better coverage and more features than Velop.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7