× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting Orbi Router to Ethernet drop vs cable modem/ router

Cbritchey
Aspirant

Connecting Orbi Router to Ethernet drop vs cable modem/ router

Hi, my home is wired for Ethernet and my Fios router is located in my unfinished basement. I was wondering if I could connect my Orbi router to one of my Ethernet drops in my main living area to provide better coverage for my large home?
Message 1 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Connecting Orbi Router to Ethernet drop vs cable modem/ router

Yes as long as that ethernet port connects straight to the Fios device.
Message 2 of 9
Cbritchey
Aspirant

Thx for the reply. There is currently a switch between the Fios router and the drops. Is that ok or do I need to move off the switch directly to the Fios router?
Message 3 of 9
rhester72
Virtuoso

It will work either way, though you will likely have problems with guest isolation if it isn't in AP mode.

Rodney

Message 4 of 9
Cbritchey
Aspirant

Thx. Does that mean that I can only Set up in AP mode if connected directly to the Fios router and not through the switch?
Message 5 of 9
st_shaw
Master

No. Connect Orbi to your switch and set in AP mode.

Message 6 of 9
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

To the OP. If you want to use the orbi router as your edge device, simply run two ethernet drops to your RBK50.  Feed FIOS to the ORBI and return from the ORBI to your switch. If you are familiar with ethernet wiring, you can split one drop into two for this purpose.

Note: VLAN trunking support would be an excellent new feature. He could create a vlan for the FIOS, a VLAN for his devices, and setup ORBI as a "router on a stick". I currently have my RBK50 router in the basement because that's were the cable and the cable modem live. My preferred location only has one ethernet drop. With vlan trunking I would locate the basement router to the preferred location and the satellite upstairs.

Message 7 of 9
st_shaw
Master

@OrbiPhilip wrote:

To the OP. If you want to use the orbi router as your edge device, simply run two ethernet drops to your RBK50.  Feed FIOS to the ORBI and return from the ORBI to your switch. If you are familiar with ethernet wiring, you can split one drop into two for this purpose.

Note: VLAN trunking support would be an excellent new feature. He could create a vlan for the FIOS, a VLAN for his devices, and setup ORBI as a "router on a stick". I currently have my RBK50 router in the basement because that's were the cable and the cable modem live. My preferred location only has one ethernet drop. With vlan trunking I would locate the basement router to the preferred location and the satellite upstairs.

I think your suggestion assumes the OP's router is connected to the ONT using Ethernet. If he's connected using coax, or if he has FIOS TV, it would be more complicated.

Message 8 of 9
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

It does, but I think the assumption is accurate because he stated he is presently coming out of the FIOS router and into a switch.

@st_shaw wrote:
I think your suggestion assumes the OP's router is connected to the ONT using Ethernet. If he's connected using coax, or if he has FIOS TV, it would be more complicated.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7