Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Critical update

Richard1864
Luminary

Critical update

Google releasing critical update for Android and Chromecast that MAY fix the problem many of us are suffering from - Orbi’s rebooting or crashing with Android/Chrone devices connected.

Https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7634752?hl=en&ref_topic=7071995
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
sleepr88
Apprentice

Re: Critical update

And Netgear should be working on an update also... How long Netgear?

Message 2 of 7
thombe
Apprentice

Does anyone know if this applies to Amazon devices which are essentially Android, but don't use the Google Play Services, but I believe their own...

Just thinking as we have a couple of Amazon tablets and we've brought Alexa (most expensive egg timers ever bought) into our lives.

B

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 7
rhester72
Virtuoso

It's specific to casting - i.e. Google Cast (to screen), Chromecast, Google Home.

Since Amazon goes out of its way to not support Google, honestly, I doubt it.

Message 4 of 7
Hydro130
Luminary

@thombe wrote:

Does anyone know if this applies to Amazon devices which are essentially Android, but don't use the Google Play Services, but I believe their own...

Just thinking as we have a couple of Amazon tablets and we've brought Alexa (most expensive egg timers ever bought) into our lives.

B

In Google's statements on this issue (one of them is linked in the first post of this thread), they say it happens when BOTH an Android phone AND a Chromecast buillt-in device (like a Google Home) are present on the same wifi network.  So, if you have just one or the other, you should be OK.

I myself have not been affected at all by this disconnect issue - I have 8 different Chromecast devices in my house (all working great), but no Android phones. 

I hope the patch being released by Google today fixes it for affected users - I imagine this is a very frustrating issue to deal with!

Message 5 of 7
sleepr88
Apprentice

How long for a Chromecast/Android fix Netgear? TP-link, Linksys, and others have already gotten it fixed

Message 6 of 7
Richard1864
Luminary

Not fixed for those companies either. Users who got the updates are still having the same problems, but more frequently according to their forums, with random reboots of their Android devices added to the mix after updating. Google under pressure on their own Android forum to pull the updates.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7