Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DST Fix Orbi Internet Drop

eyrieowl
Tutor

DST Fix Orbi Internet Drop

Created the post to bring the fix to the top level. tl;dr if you turn off "Automatically adjust for daylight savings time" (under Advanced -> Administration -> NTP Settings) and put in a server under "Set your preferred NTP server" (I use "pool.ntp.org"), then the internet drops will be fixed.  I found the path to the solution buried in comments on other threads.  I did not need to do any other changes to firmware version (2.7.2.104) or Circle settings.

This week was our spring break.  While we were travelling, I started getting all sorts of notifications that my home security cameras were losing their connection.  I thought it was perhaps the camera service failing; but when we got home, it became clear it was either the router or the modem.  I stuck another router between the modem and the Orbi, and that consistently had internet even though the Orbi did not.  I tried several reboots, disabling Circle, nothing was working.  Googling got me to an answer to disable DST and put in your own NTP server.  I already was using pool.ntp.org, so, all I had to change was to disable DST, and reboot, and it's been solid since with Circle enabled.  And, of course, this week was the week when DST went into effect, so, it makes sense that I'd start having issues this week.

I hope that helps people, it would be great if a future firmware udpate resolved the issue, but, I was contemplating getting a new router and didn't relish that, and now I don't have to, so major win!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: DST Fix Orbi Internet Drop

Was Traffic Meter in use by chance here? Someone reported that they were notificed by NG that they found the cause of these issues was the use of Traffic Meter. Something to be aware of. I'm using v104, DST ensbled and NG time server and not see any issues on the RBK50 system. Traffic Meter is disabled on mine. 

Message 2 of 5
eyrieowl
Tutor

Interesting. It *is* enabled, with no limit. Perhaps that works too? I'm not inclined to try at the moment, but I'd be willing to believe that's an alternate solution.
Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

If it's enabled then disable it. Someone else reported that they contacted NG support and they told them this seems to be a TM issue. I've not used TM at all and havn't noticed problems with my RBK50, DST is enabled on mine. 

Message 4 of 5
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @eyrieowl

Engineering was able to discover the cause of this issue and they are working on a fix in regards to the disconnections. 

The issue comes from Traffic meter while daylight saving is enabled. The quick workaround is to disable the traffic meter. 

To disable traffic meter:
Access orbilogin.com > go to ADVANCED Tab > Advanced Setup > Traffic Meter and uncheck Traffic Meter

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7