Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Device connected to RBS50 have no internet

clue1019
Follower

Device connected to RBS50 have no internet

Hello,

I have had a Wi-Fi mesh network in my home using the Orbi RBR 50 router and two Orbi RBS 50 satellites since 2018. In January 2024, all of the devices connected to the RBS 50 farthest away from the RBR 50 have experienced intermittent Internet access. It began when my phone did not have Wi-Fi Internet, and it triggered away settings in HomeKit. Then, it would trigger home settings in HomeKit when it could talk to the Internet again through the RBS 50. Shortly after, the HomePod mini connected to the same RBS 50 would say that it could not connect to the Internet. It was not until I had difficulty uploading files on my iPad, that I knew I had a problem.

If I unplug the satellite in question, the affected devices connect to the other satellite with a poorer quality connection, but have Internet access. When I plug the satellite back in to the network, within 24 hours, they said devices have difficulty connecting to the Internet.

In the process of diagnosing the problem, I learned that the Orbi app does not properly check for firmware updates. I manually updated the firmware on the RBR 50 and RBS 50 satellites by hardwiring them into the computer. The problematic RBS 50 had trouble requiring me to flash the firmware again. Everything seem to work for about half a week. Then the problem have started again where anything connected to the problematic RBS 50 has intermittent Internet access.

When using the Orbi app, it indicates that the backhaul connection between both satellites, and the router is excellent by the green signal. I am at a loss as to why this problem occurred all of a sudden.

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Device connected to RBS50 have no internet

Very strange that only one satellite seems to suffer from this problem.

What firmware release is now on all three units?

The Orbi 'app' does not have access to all of the features of the web interface.  Could you please humor me and open the web interface to check the Advanced Tab, Security Menu, Access Control and see how many devices are listed in the two tables under the list of "Connected Devices"

• Allowed devices that are not currently connected
  • Blocked devices that are not currently connected

see page 47 of the User Manual:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf 

If there are a LOT of devices in those two tables that you do not recognize, it might help to temporarily enable Access Control, delete them all, and then disable Access Control.

It could be that over this many years, the Orbi firmware image has acculated 'garbage' that is interfering with proper operation.  Sometimes it helps to make a copy of the configuration file, Factory Reset all three units, and then reload the configuration.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7