Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Enable a VPN on all the net

Sam1101
Follower

Enable a VPN on all the net

I can't figure out now to configure a VPN on orbi RBK20 that will make all my connections ho through the VPN, not setting it up on a single device. Thanks you
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Enable a VPN on all the net

I have configured OpenVPN on the Orbi, and I fear this is not what you want.  OpenVPN is a server that allows users to come into the Orbi from outside over an encrypted channel (VPN).  So, someone sitting in a coffee shop, airport, etc. can connect to their home Orbi and the entire pathway from that location to the Orbi is encrypted and cannot be "spied on."  Once inside the Orbi, they can access local resources or they can go back out from the Orbi to the internet.  THAT communication is not encrypted, except of course for things like HTTPS web sites.  Almost everything these days that involves sensitive information is done over HTTPS.

I may be mistaken, but it sounds to me like what you want is to have every device in your network communicate with the internet over an encrypted channel.  In that case, the VPN host is "outside", not inside the Orbi.  Those commercial VPN's encrypt the traffic from the user to the VPN host, change the IP address, strip out personal information, and then send the data on toward an internet host unencrypted.

I hope one of the more sophisticated forum members will chime in with a solution for you.

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Here's a linik from NordVPN explaining that their product does not work with any Netgear router.

https://support.nordvpn.com/Connectivity/Router/1047409512/Netgear-setup-with-NordVPN.htm 

(This was just the first commercial VPN service that popped up on my Google search.  There are dozens more.  Maybe one of them has a solution.)

Message 3 of 4
ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

I may be mistaken, but it sounds to me like what you want is to have every device in your network communicate with the internet over an encrypted channel.  In that case, the VPN host is "outside", not inside the Orbi.  Those commercial VPN's encrypt the traffic from the user to the VPN host, change the IP address, strip out personal information, and then send the data on toward an internet host unencrypted.

Correct. Orbi supports currently VPN Server but not VPN client, as described by @CrimpOn 

@Sam1101 If you want to configure VPN clients this needs to be configured in every device in the network, as -currently- you can't configure this centrally in Orbi. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7