Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware Update 2021

Besselink
Follower

Firmware Update 2021

Happy New Year.

I received an email regarding an "Important Security Firmware Update from NETGEAR."  Note: my ORBI system was purchased through Verizon a couple of years back.  When I go into the ORBI Netgear app to check for updates, I continue to get the error message "There was a problem checking firmware update."  I do understand from reading some older posts that Verizon is the gatekeeper to firmware updates for the products purchased through them.  This being said, does anyone know if Verizon is pushing out updates to keep pace with Netgear?  I would expect this to occur as we are talking about security updates, but I would feel better hearing from the community.

Thanks in advance. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware Update 2021

If yours was purchased thru Verizon, contact Verizon as they have contracted with NG to put there own FW on Orbi systems thus you cant use NG stock FW on Verizon branded Orbi. 

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 5
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If yours was purchased thru Verizon, contact Verizon as they have contracted with NG to put there own FW on Orbi systems thus you cant use NG stock FW on Verizon branded Orbi. 

Good Luck. 

Wow if this IS true you don't have to worry about all of the confusion here in this forum 

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, this specific question has come up several times and the "bottom line" has always been that (a) the Verizon branded Orbi product has something hard coded in it that rejects any attempts to load Netgear firmware on it, and (b) Verizon has never issued a firmware update. Never.  I would have to look through the posts, but my memory is that even TFTP fails on the Verizon units.  Isn't this a hoot. Netgear sends email to people who cannot update firmware telling them they should.

Message 4 of 5
vajim
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

Yes, this specific question has come up several times and the "bottom line" has always been that (a) the Verizon branded Orbi product has something hard coded in it that rejects any attempts to load Netgear firmware on it, and (b) Verizon has never issued a firmware update. Never.  I would have to look through the posts, but my memory is that even TFTP fails on the Verizon units.  Isn't this a hoot. Netgear sends email to people who cannot update firmware telling them they should.

Yes to add to the already confusion 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7