Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware Updates

esb2b
Guide

Firmware Updates

I got an email to update my firmware, currently I am running V2.5.2.4, so whan I go to the advanced tab to check for updates it tells me I am up to date with V2.5.2.4, but if I navigate to manual updates I see I have missed one completely - why wont the search for updates function work anymore? thx

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Firmware Updates

Can you copy and past the contents of this email?

There have been a number of posts recently reporting this, and since I never have received one (ever, in 4 years of having my Orbi), I'd like to see what one looks like.

Thanks

p.s. There are a lot of posts recently about the behavior of Orbi firmware updates and how they relate to the firmware release that is on the Orbi.  See this thread, for example:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Router-Firmware-Version-V2-7-2-102/m-p/2027821#M109... 

Message 2 of 37
esb2b
Guide

I saw a thread where it updat4ed overnight - I wpudlnt mind that if mine auto updated, but usually you log into netgear and go to the advanced tab and update there - the advanced tab doesnt even show the latest updates anymore - this isnt normal

Message 3 of 37
vajim
Master

@esb2b wrote:

so whan I go to the advanced tab to check for updates it tells me I am up to date

There's your answer 

Message 4 of 37
esb2b
Guide

No. The manual way shows 2.7 now and there were a few prior - 2.6 etc that I never saw. The Netgear site is not showing accurate data.
Message 5 of 37
esb2b
Guide

Message 6 of 37
vajim
Master

@esb2b wrote:

I saw a thread where it updat4ed overnight - I wpudlnt mind that if mine auto updated, but usually you log into netgear and go to the advanced tab and update there - the advanced tab doesnt even show the latest updates anymore - this isnt normal

do you know why you want to update?  Problems with your system?

Message 7 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

If you slog through that post about firmware v2.7.2.102, there are assertions that Netgear "appears" to have created multiple firmware versions which apply to different customers, depending on whether they are in the US and whether they have subscribed to Parental Controls.  My Orbi (in the US) is on 2.5.1.16 and Firmware Update tells me that 2.5.2.4 is available.  It makes no mention of 2.6.1.40 or 2.7.1.60 (US Only).  (In the software business, different versions are often called "forks".)

As far as I can tell, Netgear is totally silent about what all this means.  With my other systems, I update software frequently.  With Orbi, I read with great interest the stories that people post after they choose to update (or an update happens to them).  In the past two years, there have been many firmware updates that caused massive problems for some users.  Some firmware updates have been "pulled."

What I would dearly love is a clear statment from Netgear, such as "Versions of firmware prior to vx.x.x.x are vulnerable to these specific security threats (with a list) and customers are encouraged to update to version x.x.x.x"  Other companies do this all the time.

Message 8 of 37
vajim
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

What I would dearly love is a clear statment from Netgear, such as "Versions of firmware prior to vx.x.x.x are vulnerable to these specific security threats (with a list) and customers are encouraged to update to version x.x.x.x"  Other companies do this all the time.

...or better yet, go back to something like what they had before.  IF a update really truly contains MAJOR security updates then just push it to ALL.

Where they get in trouble is mudding up the water by mixing these so-called MAJOR security updates with all other thus leaving it up to the end user to play a game of firmware roultette.

and they wonder why I perfer to leave it all alone.

Message 9 of 37
esb2b
Guide

They sent me an email saying there was an important update. Come tho think of it - this may have been the second one I just didn’t try manually last time. Yes it should be clearly stated and it shouldn’t be too hard to figure it out.
Message 10 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Router-Firmware-Version-V2-7-2-102/m-p/2028358/high...

@esb2b wrote:
They sent me an email saying there was an important update. Come tho think of it - this may have been the second one I just didn’t try manually last time. Yes it should be clearly stated and it shouldn’t be too hard to figure it out.

Message 11 of 37
esb2b
Guide

So it dawned on me later I hadn’t checked a different browser. I am on a Mac, and this was via safari, so I launched Firefox and although the web still told me I was current - I was able to do the manual update in Firefox through the admin log in after downloading the update from Netgear so I’m now current. I guess safari could not handle the downloaded disc IMG but Firefox could.
Message 12 of 37
vajim
Master

@esb2b wrote:
So it dawned on me later I hadn’t checked a different browser. I am on a Mac, and this was via safari, so I launched Firefox and although the web still told me I was current - I was able to do the manual update in Firefox through the admin log in after downloading the update from Netgear so I’m now current. I guess safari could not handle the downloaded disc IMG but Firefox could.

so if the web still said you're current, why did you do the manual update?  so now you're 'really' current?

Message 13 of 37
esb2b
Guide

I got an email stating there was an update - then when the browser said current I dug in and looked harder then seeing the 3 updates my computer apparently didn’t like. Glad I did - I don’t want to have an earlier unsafe version.
Message 14 of 37
vajim
Master

@esb2b wrote:
I got an email stating there was an update - then when the browser said current I dug in and looked harder then seeing the 3 updates my computer apparently didn’t like. Glad I did - I don’t want to have an earlier unsafe version.

"unsafe version"  that is debatable 

but as long as you're happy it's a good day.  lets hope you got a stable one.

Message 15 of 37
esb2b
Guide

Well you know how these things are. Usually they fix bugs and security issues. So far I’ve been fine upgrading all along. I had 2.5 and just jumped to 2.7. Time will tell I guess.
Message 16 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

What OSX and Safari version are you using? 

I haven't tried Safari in a while on my mac. I mostly use Windows for FW updates. Someone told me Apple has pushed some changes in OSX and Safari that seems to break some things. 

@esb2b wrote:

Message 17 of 37
vajim
Master

Smiley Sad

Message 18 of 37
esb2b
Guide

ios 11.1 big sur - safari 14.0.2 -

my mac is  3.7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 - got it in April (pandemic purchase)

also tried on my ipad - didnt work - most up to date ios on that, too

the firefox that worked was 81.0.1 

Safari didnt know what to do with the disc image, Firefox had no issues at all, but did show the old version as beiong most up to date, too - I have an RBR50 Orbi with one RBS50 satellite. 

Message 19 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

So when on the RBRs web page in Safari and you navigate out to where you unpacked the FW file and just highlight it then Ok,  the file should be seeing in the Browse box then you should be able to select the Upload button? 

@esb2b wrote:

ios 11.1 big sur - safari 14.0.2 -

my mac is  3.7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 - got it in April (pandemic purchase)

also tried on my ipad - didnt work - most up to date ios on that, too

the firefox that worked was 81.0.1 

Safari didnt know what to do with the disc image, Firefox had no issues at all, but did show the old version as beiong most up to date, too - I have an RBR50 Orbi with one RBS50 satellite. 

Message 20 of 37
esb2b
Guide

One would think but in safari the manual when I navigated to the disc image said it didn’t recognize the file type - later when I did that in Firefox it worked on the first try. Once I got the RBR updated, it showed in the advanced tab that there was an additional update and it recognized the RBS needed to be updated. I think the issue was safari.
Message 21 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume so. You might let Apple know about this. If it worked in other versions of Safari or OSX, would be something Apple did. 

@esb2b wrote:
One would think but in safari the manual when I navigated to the disc image said it didn’t recognize the file type - later when I did that in Firefox it worked on the first try. Once I got the RBR updated, it showed in the advanced tab that there was an additional update and it recognized the RBS needed to be updated. I think the issue was safari.

Message 22 of 37
esb2b
Guide

well I am not 100% on that, and it has always been that way with apple - thats why I have Firefox too - some times websites just dont gel with it - I wouldnt even know who to notify and I cant imagine they would care - Apple kinda does what they want to dont they?

Message 23 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

if you have the Apple feedback app then you can open a ticket there. If not, 

https://getsupport.apple.com/?caller=psp&SG=SG001

https://discussions.apple.com/welcome

I used the feedback app when I was using the beta BigSur OSX versions. They do respond. 

Message 24 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Checking my Mac Book Pro with BS and Safari, I'm able to select the FW file and it appears on the RBRs browse input box:Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 12.26.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-28 at 12.26.11 PM.png

Message 25 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7