Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

For over £400 I dont expect to have to keep struggling like this - Satellite Disconnects

c-e-uk
Follower

For over £400 I dont expect to have to keep struggling like this - Satellite Disconnects

Hello All,

So this week I paid over £400 for my Orbi kit, since then I have been disappointed in my purchase decision. I have had to reboot/factory reset and struggled to get this system to work, and I am a network engineer by trade so feel very sorry for people who are not and have to work with this kit.

I have a three-story house in the UK - so have the router on the ground floor, then directly above the first satellite (192.168.86.250) and then again directory above the second satellite (192.168.86.251) - the reason for this is that I want maximum bandwidth to my study which is on the 3rd floor. Now when the connection is established, I am getting decent throughput (around 250mb) with my 300mb Virgin Media ISP. 

However, what is killing me is the stupid random disconnect which means business skype calls are dropping and in the evening my gaming sessions are being killed as well. My desktop Pc is connected directory to the 2nd Satellite. What I have also noticed is that at times I cant get an IP from DHCP so need to reboot the crap satellite.

The satellites are no less than 5 meters apart (albeit through a ceiling), but they have a good connection between each other.

So my question is do I return this kit or can somebody perhaps shed some light on why the 2nd Sat is dropping connections when it feels like it.

I am running the latest firm (V2.1.4.10 released this week) and have factory reset all devices after the upgrade.

The picture attached is from a PC with a LAN connection running Pingplotter pro connected directly to the Orbi router downstairs over a 24h period

Thanks

CE

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
cinek
Apprentice

Re: For over £400 I dont expect to have to keep struggling like this - Satellite Disconnects

return it while you can! I thought the same, give them a chance ....now orbi is in the bin, I'm almost £600 lighter (orbi and replacement purchase) and I'm using unify APs. Had to run cables around the flat but at least it works.

Message 2 of 3
tsig
Luminary

Re: For over £400 I dont expect to have to keep struggling like this - Satellite Disconnects

@c-e-uk  Do you have daisy chain enabled?  Wondering if you are too close together and getting some type of interference.  Have you tried it without one of the satellites in operation?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7