× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Have to manually connect to nearest satellite to control wireless music devices

Ryno2005
Aspirant

Have to manually connect to nearest satellite to control wireless music devices

I am using an OrbiRB50 with 2 satellites. There are approximately 12 music zones at my house (using Yamaha musicast, some over wifi, some plugged into satellites).  The point of the system is to play synchronized music in multiple zones and to control volume etc from a single device (mainly an iPhone in my case).  The network uses a single SSID and devices are connected to the closest satellite.  The issue is that the phone often but not always will not see a connected device unless the phone is also connected to the same satellite.  So for example to change the volume in a zone I will sometimes have to stand next to the device and disconnect and reconnect to wifi.  The device then becomes viable but others sometimes disappear that are connected to other satellites  What's going on here?   Is there a setting to fix this?   

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
OrbiMan
Luminary

Re: Have to manually connect to nearest satellite to control wireless music devices

I have the same thing happen to my chromecast. Seems that when my phone transition between satellites sometimes it the LAN is not accessible. I found this out when I send a ping command from one of the computer on the LAN. It is certainly annoying.
Message 2 of 4
OrbiMan
Luminary

Re: Have to manually connect to nearest satellite to control wireless music devices

But Internet remains accessible just not internal lan network
Message 3 of 4
Ryno2005
Aspirant

Yes same for me internet remains accessible but that portion of the LAN connected to different satellite drops off. I'm almost better off using a single router and taking my chances on a weaker signal. Very frustrating.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7