Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to use daisy chain topology on Orbi Satellite ?

Steve_Zhang
Initiate

How to use daisy chain topology on Orbi Satellite ?

I have a Orbi router (RBR50) and two satellites (RBS50).

When I upgrade firmware to V2.0.0.74 , I found Orbi supports daisy chain topglogy (Advanced-Advanced Setup-Wireless Settings-Backhaul Topology)

I try to link satellite-A to satellite-B: first I put two satellite in a room, then reset satellite-A, then press sync button on satellite-A and satellite-B.

I try it again and again, sometimes I found s-A connected s-B, but 5 mins later, it changes, s-A and s-B re-connected Orbi router directly.

Does Anyone success?

Thanks.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
rhester72
Virtuoso

Re: How to use daisy chain topology on Orbi Satellite ?

You can't control what connects to what.  With daisy-chain, if a satellite sees a signal from another satellite is stronger than the router's signal, it will chain through the satellite instead.  There is no way to explicitly connect two satellites.

Rodney

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
rhester72
Virtuoso

You can't control what connects to what.  With daisy-chain, if a satellite sees a signal from another satellite is stronger than the router's signal, it will chain through the satellite instead.  There is no way to explicitly connect two satellites.

Rodney

Message 2 of 9
JeffParker
Tutor

Is daisy chaining preferred? Not sure if this is causing an issue that I'm having: one of my latops seems is dropping vpn connection every fe mins and then reconnects. This only seems to happen when it's connected to 2.4ghz nw

@rhester72 wrote:

Rodney

Message 3 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Its not preferred it just depends on the setup of your router and satellites in your home. so if your router is in the middle of your home then you wouldn't need the daisy chaining. as for the 2.4ghz you may want to change the wireless channels.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 9
JeffParker
Tutor

@DarrenM wrote:

Its not preferred it just depends on the setup of your router and satellites in your home. so if your router is in the middle of your home then you wouldn't need the daisy chaining. as for the 2.4ghz you may want to change the wireless channels.

DarrenM

My house is a large rectangle. Router is in open closet/room on one end. Downstairs satellite is in fam. rm about 75ft away. Upstairs satt. is about 80ft away. from router. I changed the 2.4 channel to 06 and briefly disconnected downstairs satt. Laptop is now connected to the router and seems more stable so not sure if the chann. change affected it. It's also now connected using 5GHz

Message 5 of 9
st_shaw
Master

I'd expect the satellite to have problems connecting to the router if it was 75 or 80 feet away. That would explain dropped connections.  I would try to move them closer together, or move one satellite to the middle and see if they daisy chain.

Message 6 of 9
Steve_Zhang
Initiate

orbi.jpg

Thank you very much. Follow your tips,I have succeeded.

Steve

Message 7 of 9
JeffParker
Tutor

Should I turn daisychaining on?

If so, would that decrease the signal since piggybacking?

Message 8 of 9
dsegel
Tutor

You only need daisy chaining if one satellite is farther away from the router than it is from another satellite.

Think of it like this:

Distance from router to closest satellite: X (e.g. 20')

Distance from router to farthest satellite: Y (e.g. 30')

Distance between the two satellites: Z  (e.g. 10')

If Z < X and Z < Y (as in this case), then turn on daisy chaining

If the satellites were, say, 40' apart, then you wouldn't want to turn it on.

Hmmm...maybe that just confuses things further.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7