Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I am trying to use old RBK50 as a bridge or AP

port107
Follower

I am trying to use old RBK50 as a bridge or AP

I have an old RBK50 and I would like to use it as a bridge or AP (not sure the right terminology).  I want to connect to an existing network wirelessly and use the RBK50 ethernet port to connect a laptop.  Can this be done? I can't figure out how to access the admin screen and I already have a working network, so I don't want to go through the network setup again.  Just want to access and configure the RBK50 and set it to bride mode.  I tried connecting to it via ethernet but it didn't work.  I'm hoping I can use it for something, rather than having it just sit in the closet.

Appreciate any help.

Jason

Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: I am trying to use old RBK50 as a bridge or AP

@port107 wrote:

I have an old RBK50 and I would like to use it as a bridge or AP (not sure the right terminology).  I want to connect to an existing network wirelessly and use the RBK50 ethernet port to connect a laptop.  Can this be done? I can't figure out how to access the admin screen and I already have a working network, so I don't want to go through the network setup again.  Just want to access and configure the RBK50 and set it to bride mode.  I tried connecting to it via ethernet but it didn't work.  I'm hoping I can use it for something, rather than having it just sit in the closet.

An Orbi router (the RBR50 part of the RBK50 package) can be connected only with an ethernet cable from the WAN (yellow) ethernet port.  It can be set up in two modes: router and access point. But, both modes require that it be connected to the source network with an ethernet cable.

A different solution is to get a WiFi extender, such as the Netgear EX3700 ($27 on Amazon).  WiFi extenders will connect to a WiFi network via WiFi and many (such as this one) provide an ethernet port that can be used for any device with an ethernet port, such as a desktop or laptop.

Message 2 of 8
tim_gage
Tutor

Well, if you're handy with a computer and want to do a little hacking, there are a few of us who have changed our RBR40's and RBR50's over to satellites (ie: RBS40 or RBS50).

I have done this with two RBR40's and have been very happy with the results.  Of course, this completely voids your warranty.  In my case, I bought these RBR40's second hand from ebay so any warrant was long gone.

The main set of directions I use are located at: https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/i6qbca/success_converted_from_rbr40_to_rbs40/.  There's also a thread here on this forum that talks about tips, tricks and hidden secrets at: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-RBS50-Tips-Tricks-Hidden-Secrets-etc/m-p/1747986 this references the command that you'd need to use to do this but the reddit post has a nice cook-book style list of instructions.

If you want a device that will function as a wifi client to then provide wired ethernet ports to a wired client, then you're looking for a bridge and an RBR50 can't do that.

However, if you want to perform the above brain surgery on your RBR50 to turn it into an RBS50, then you can get the same effect with an Orbi system.

Tim

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Yet another solution is to purchase an Orbi satellite, such as the RBS40V ($100 on Amazon). This will connect to the Orbi system via WiFi and acomplishes two things (1) it expands the total WiFi coverage area, and (2) it has four ethernet ports that can be used to connect devices.  Of course, if the laptop is "smack in the middle" of the existing Orbi WiFi coverage, there is no point in adding another Orbi satellite.

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@port107 wrote:

Appreciate any help.

Jason

Message 5 of 8
tim_gage
Tutor

@CrimpOn wrote:

Yet another solution is to purchase an Orbi satellite, such as the RBS40V ($100 on Amazon). This will connect to the Orbi system via WiFi and acomplishes two things (1) it expands the total WiFi coverage area, and (2) it has four ethernet ports that can be used to connect devices.  Of course, if the laptop is "smack in the middle" of the existing Orbi WiFi coverage, there is no point in adding another Orbi satellite.

Um..... Great idea. I, in fact, have an RBS40v and love it for the Alexa features.  It has GREAT sound.

However, I can confirm that it has only 2 ethernet ports, not 4.

Tim

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

One can add a ethernet switch behind a RBS for additional ports.

@tim_gage wrote:

Um..... Great idea. I, in fact, have an RBS40v and love it for the Alexa features.  It has GREAT sound.

Tim

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Entirely correct. (duh)  Looks as if you have lots of options, all the way from "free, but technical" to "spend $100".

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7