Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I have two satellites tied to my ORBI router

fernandr
Guide

I have two satellites tied to my ORBI router

I have two satellies tied to my ORBI router but one of the satellites is not password protected to access by devises.  The other Satellite and Router is password protected.  How do i get the satellite password protected?  Thank You

Message 1 of 25
fernandr
Guide

Re: I have two satellites tied to my ORBI router

I have two satellies tied to my ORBI router but one of the satellites is not password protected to access by devises.  The other Satellite and Router is password protected.  How do i get the satellite password protected?  Thank You

Message 2 of 25
plemans
Guru

Have you tried factory resetting it and then re-syncing it with the router?

Message 3 of 25
fernandr
Guide

Thanks.  I tried it but did not resolve the problem. 

Message 4 of 25
plemans
Guru

Are you using a hardwired backhaul or wireless? 

where do you see that its still open? 

What is it showing under the attached devices page for the satellites?

Message 5 of 25
fernandr
Guide

I am using wireless.  I see that it not secure thru my device.  See the below screenshot.  Satellite if concernis 192.168.21.  Thanks

Screenshot 2024-03-13 071312.png

Message 6 of 25
plemans
Guru

got a screensnip showing it not secure?

Message 7 of 25
fernandr
Guide

fernandr_0-1710350703813.jpegSee screenshot of my samsung phone.  Three Fernandez wifi is:  Fernandez is the router; Fernandez "Available via Orbi"is one satellite which is shown secure;   Fernandez "connected / not secure" is the second satellite.  Thanks again

Message 8 of 25
plemans
Guru

Can you log into the attached satellite using its IP address? 

have you checked its firmware? 

What version is the satellites and the router on? 

Message 9 of 25
fernandr
Guide

Ifirmware version is V2.7.4.24  Tried checking for updates but it comes up as error, 'there was a problem checking the firmware'.  tried a couple of times.

Not sure how to log into satellite using IP address.  

Message 10 of 25
plemans
Guru

what orbi models do you have for router and satellite? 

To access the satellite, simply type in its IP address. You'll use the same login/password as the router login

Message 11 of 25
fernandr
Guide

RBR50.  Sorry where do i type in the IP address (i am just a duncecap at times!)

Message 12 of 25
plemans
Guru

just into the browser bar. 

You're a version behind on firmware. You could try upgrade and trying it. 

Maybe the satellites is on an earlier/later version. 

its always recommended to update the satellites first and then the router. 

I prefer manually doing it. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

Message 13 of 25
fernandr
Guide

Thanks!  will work om that.  Be back later!

Message 14 of 25
CrimpOn
Guru

If you disconnect and forget the Orbi WiFi network, then attempt to connect to it again, does it require a password to connect?

Can you try that experiment while standing very close to each of the three Orbi units (router, satellite1, satellite 2)?

Message 15 of 25
fernandr
Guide

yes except for that one satellite.  

While working on the firmware, the satelllite giving problems is out of date.  I am trying to update it but am having problems.  I downloaded what i believe is the latest version of V2.7.4.24 but under manual update, when i try to upload the img file it says 'please select correct configuration file". So i am beginning to relook at the firmware versions to make sure i have the right file for the satellite.  

Message 16 of 25
fernandr
Guide

My helpul friends!  I updated the route and one of the satellites firmware (lastest V2.7.5.4) but the problem satellite when check has a status of 'service unreachable'.  Tried reseting the satellite but no change.  Any recommendations? I am hoping that once this can be resolved, my basic problem of an unsecure wifi link to that satellite will also be resolved.  Thank you! 

Message 17 of 25
plemans
Guru

@fernandr wrote:

yes except for that one satellite.  

While working on the firmware, the satelllite giving problems is out of date.  I am trying to update it but am having problems.  I downloaded what i believe is the latest version of V2.7.4.24 but under manual update, when i try to upload the img file it says 'please select correct configuration file". So i am beginning to relook at the firmware versions to make sure i have the right file for the satellite.  

You said you have the RBR50 but not what satellite it is. You can pair RBS50, RBS40, RBW30, RBS20. And there's more than 1 version of the 50 series. so check to see if you have version 1 or version 2. That'll cause that incorrect configuration file. Plus you have to make sure you unzip it after downloading. 

If you tried it again and it fails, you can record the process using screensnip. On windows 11 there's a video record option where you can just select a set screen size. A video/photo can help

Message 18 of 25
fernandr
Guide

My helpul friends, success!  I updated the route and one of the satellites firmware (lastest V2.7.5.4).  But the problem satellite when check has a status of 'service unreachable'.  Tried reseting the satellite but no change.  Any recommendations?

I am hoping that once this can be resolved, my basic problem of an unsecure wifi link to that satellite will also be resolved.  Thank you! 

Message 19 of 25
plemans
Guru

@fernandr wrote:

My helpul friends, success!  I updated the route and one of the satellites firmware (lastest V2.7.5.4).  But the problem satellite when check has a status of 'service unreachable'.  Tried reseting the satellite but no change.  Any recommendations?

Were you able to update the satellite with issues?

Were you able to log into it via the browser using its IP address?

You didn't say what actual satellite it was, yet.

Message 20 of 25
fernandr
Guide

Plemans.  Thank you as i was able to link to the one satellite as you instructed to update the firmware.  Firmware is up to date now on the router and two satellites.  I reset the one problem satellite that has the unprotected wifi signal but i am not getting a new wifi signal yet from that unit.  The other satellite and router have signals and both protected.   

Message 21 of 25
plemans
Guru

@fernandr wrote:

.  I reset the one problem satellite that has the unprotected wifi signal but i am not getting a new wifi signal yet from that unit.  

Its not broadcasting yet? 

Try hardwiring it in to sync it. 

Is it doing anything? Blinking/etc

Message 22 of 25
fernandr
Guide

Aloha Plemans. The troubling satellite is yet to broacast a wifi link.  I tried to hardwire but no luck.  It went through the syns cycle correctly.  No other blinking lights, just a steady green on light.  

Worked on it for a bit, resetting, resyncing, etc and both satellites. 

i decided to reposition them so the working satelllite can service most of the  devises in the house.  Temporary solution until both satellites are broadcasting wifi links.

Any other thoughts?  Thanks

Message 23 of 25
plemans
Guru

with it hardwired into the router (the non-working satellite) is it getting an ip address? 

Are you able to use that to log into it? 

How old is the satellite? 

Message 24 of 25
fernandr
Guide

Yes i have the address and was able to log into it direcly. It is a 2017 model as is the system i have.  I have decided to take the sattelite off line as the router and one satellite provdes good coverage for the house.  Maybe some day i will try it again should i need better coverage.  Thanks for all of your help as i was able to update the firmware, etc to the system and could not have done it without your help.  Best to you from Hawaii!  Mahalo

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7