× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is it possible to connect my Orbi AC 2200 RBK20W wirelessly to my ISP Gateway (modem/router)

marybhendrix
Aspirant

Is it possible to connect my Orbi AC 2200 RBK20W wirelessly to my ISP Gateway (modem/router)

First let me explain that I own the Orbi AC 2200 RBK20W, but it isn't showing in the drop down menu for "model" so I chose the closest model RBK53 because it forced me to enter something on the list.

I successfully installed the Orbi router by connecting to my ATT Gateway using the enclosed ethernet cable.  I then installed the satellite and both appear to be working.

I updated the firmware to the latest version as part of the installation process.

Is it possible to connect the Orbi router to the Gateway wirelessly instead of using an ethernet cable?  That is what I thought I was purchasing, but now I am wondering if I have the wrong model.  I would like for the router to be in a different location (essentially using it as a satellite) to cover all dead spots, and I don't want a 50 foot ethernet cable running between the Orbi router and ATT Gateway.

If this  model is not capable of connecting wirelessly, would you please tell me which Orbi model would connect wirelessly?

If there is none, could I just buy two satellites instead of the router/satellite combination and connect those directly to the ISP Gateway? Two satellites or extenders is really what I need, not another router.

I read on one thread about changing the router to AP mode, but it never mentioned disconnecting the ethernet cable, so I am not sure if that is applicable here or not?

Thanks so much for your help,

Mary

Message 1 of 5
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: Is it possible to connect my Orbi AC 2200 RBK20W wirelessly to my ISP Gateway (modem/router)

@marybhendrix wrote:

Is it possible to connect the Orbi router to the Gateway wirelessly instead of using an ethernet cable? 

Short answer is no.  Ethernet connection between Orbi & Gateway is required for all Orbi models.   Only Orbi router and satellite support wireless backhaul connection between themselves.  You can't use satellites by themselves either.

Place the Orbi router next to ATT Gateway using a 1 foot Ethernet cable.  Switch Orbi in AP mode and turn off WiFi radio/service on ATT gateway since Orbi router + satellites will provide better WiFi service/coverage.  Your current setup will work until it doesn't, because you'll likely run into problem sooner or later due to double NAT'ing with two routers.

Check out What is Double NAT and How to fix issues with Double NAT.

Good luck! 

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Is it possible to connect my Orbi AC 2200 RBK20W wirelessly to my ISP Gateway (modem/router)

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@marybhendrix wrote:

First let me explain that I own the Orbi AC 2200 RBK20W, but it isn't showing in the drop down menu for "model" so I chose the closest model RBK53 because it forced me to enter something on the list.

I successfully installed the Orbi router by connecting to my ATT Gateway using the enclosed ethernet cable.  I then installed the satellite and both appear to be working.

I updated the firmware to the latest version as part of the installation process.

Is it possible to connect the Orbi router to the Gateway wirelessly instead of using an ethernet cable?  That is what I thought I was purchasing, but now I am wondering if I have the wrong model.  I would like for the router to be in a different location (essentially using it as a satellite) to cover all dead spots, and I don't want a 50 foot ethernet cable running between the Orbi router and ATT Gateway.

If this  model is not capable of connecting wirelessly, would you please tell me which Orbi model would connect wirelessly?

If there is none, could I just buy two satellites instead of the router/satellite combination and connect those directly to the ISP Gateway? Two satellites or extenders is really what I need, not another router.

I read on one thread about changing the router to AP mode, but it never mentioned disconnecting the ethernet cable, so I am not sure if that is applicable here or not?

Thanks so much for your help,

Mary

Message 3 of 5
marybhendrix
Aspirant

Thanks so much for the reply.   Will try the AP mode.  Might need more help.

Thanks,

Mary

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7