Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issue with Orbi RBR50

rwilliams1
Aspirant

Issue with Orbi RBR50

If you are connecting your Orbi router and satellite together via ethernet, there is no need to have the radio backhaul channel active, yet there is no way to turn this off in the software.

In my case the channel is impacting on my AV senders I use within the house.

It would be nice is Netgear upgraded the software to enable the deactivation of the radio link when not needed and hence reduce the 5GHz radio polution within the house.

Message 1 of 38
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Issue with Orbi RBR50

Probably "preaching to the choir" in this forum.  Netgear has a forum where people make suggestions:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home/label-name/orbi...

Message 2 of 38
ekhalil
Master

@rwilliams1 wrote:

It would be nice is Netgear upgraded the software to enable the deactivation of the radio link when not needed and hence reduce the 5GHz radio polution within the house.

1. Disable Daisy Chain to stop the backhaul channels in the Satellites.
  2. Telnet to Orbi Router and do the following commands to stop the backhault channel in the Router:
    1. config set endis_wla_2nd_radio=0
    2. config get wl5g_BACKHAUL_AP
    3. ifconfig $(config get wl5g_BACKHAUL_AP) down
    4. config commit

Message 3 of 38
rwilliams1
Aspirant

I tried to use Putty to telnet into the RBR, but it's failing. Is there anything special I need to do to enable Putty to connect? I have left the setting as default.

Thanks

Robert

Message 4 of 38
rwilliams1
Aspirant

Thanks, There looks like other s in that forum that have suggested similar things.

Robert

Message 5 of 38
CrimpOn
Guru

@rwilliams1 wrote:

I tried to use Putty to telnet into the RBR, but it's failing. Is there anything special I need to do to enable Putty to connect? I have left the setting as default.

Telnet is turned on using the Orbi "debug" page.  i.e. 192.168.1.1/debug.htm.  Any telnet client will then work.  I, personally, use Putty because Putty makes it easy to save a complete log of the session.

Message 6 of 38
rwilliams1
Aspirant

I don't see the debug page in the GUI.

I'm in AP mode rather than router mode. Does that make a difference ?

Robert

Message 7 of 38

@rwilliams1 wrote:

I'm in AP mode rather than router mode. Does that make a difference ?

No.

I am also in AP mode and can connect to debug.htm.

Can you connect to the usual GUI page? Try doing that and then move on to debug.htm.

Message 8 of 38
ekhalil
Master

You need to enable telnet in the Router by logging in to orbilogin.com/debug.htm and enabling telnet.
Message 9 of 38
rwilliams1
Aspirant

Sorry Guys, 

I can log into the GUI but I don't see the debug page or option anywhere, and hence can't turn on Telnet.

I've been throught the user manual too.

Was this option taken away wihen the latest firmware was released ?

Am I missing something ?

Thanks

Message 10 of 38
ekhalil
Master

It’s not in the “regular” GUI. It’s an additional Debug GUI that you can reach on orbilogin.com/debug.htm or 192.168.1.1/debug.htm
Message 11 of 38
CrimpOn
Guru

@ekhalil wrote:
It’s not in the “regular” GUI. It’s an additional Debug GUI that you can reach on orbilogin.com/debug.htm or 192.168.1.1/debug.htm

What @ekhalil says is "literally correct."  i.e. once the browser is connected to the Orbi web interface (either as orbilogin.com or using the IP address, which is often 192.168.1.1) then replace the letters "index.htm" with "debug.htm" and press <Enter>.  There is NOTHING on the regular Orbi interface that can be used to access "debug" mode.  What we are doing by using Telnet to access the Orbi internals is not what Netgear expects customers to do.  It is not entirely clear why Netgear allows terminal access to the Orbi line, but we are very happy that they do.

Message 12 of 38
rwilliams1
Aspirant

Ah, now it makes sense.

Just did it.

Should I expect a response back from the commands ?

Now to test to see if this has actually worked.

Thanks guys, appreciate the help from everone who has  had some input in helping me.

Now , what else can I do using the Telnet command ?

Regards

Message 13 of 38

@rwilliams1 wrote:

Now , what else can I do using the Telnet command ?

What do you want to do?

@ekhalil guided me through the process of using telnet to "unblock" the drop down for the wireless region in a couple of Orbi devices. As delivered, devices sold in the USA seem to be locked to the local wifi bands. They will not adapt automatically to the local region. Changing this is a simple telnet trick, but not one that most people need to worry about.

Message 14 of 38
JABuntyn
Guide

I logged onto the router, then entered debug, And I just get a spinning dial.  It wont display the debug GUI.  Any suggestions?   Thank you.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 15 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a different browser, IE11, Firefox or Opera...

@JABuntyn wrote:

I logged onto the router, then entered debug, And I just get a spinning dial.  It wont display the debug GUI.  Any suggestions?   Thank you.

Message 16 of 38
CrimpOn
Guru

@JABuntyn wrote:

I just tried Chrome, Firefox, and Opera.  Entering "192.168.1.1" (no quotes. this is the IP of my Orbi router)  All three first popped up a box requesting user name and password.  i.e. "admin" and my "secret admi password."  For a few seconds, there was a spinning dial, and then the page appeared.  I then replaced "index.htm" with "debug.htm", got a spinning dial for a few seconds, and then the web page.

Do you get the regular web interface?

Message 17 of 38

@JABuntyn wrote:

I logged onto the router, then entered debug....

How?

My way in is to get to the standard GUI and then to replace with index.htm with debug.htm.

Message 18 of 38
JABuntyn
Guide

Thanks for the comments.
I used Firefox. I’ve tried 2 different ways, multiple times. I can log on successfully with my userid and password by using the urls:
Https://orbilonin.com/ And
Https://orbilogin.com/debug.htm

If I first login through https://orbilogin.com/index.htm, I can change the ‘index.htm’ with ‘debug.htm’ but still just get a spinning wheel.

Thanks,
Message 19 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Try 192.168.1.1\debug.htm instead. I don't think the orbilogin.com works for debug.htm

@JABuntyn wrote:
Thanks for the comments.
I used Firefox. I’ve tried 2 different ways, multiple times. I can log on successfully with my userid and password by using the urls:
Https://orbilonin.com/ And
Https://orbilogin.com/debug.htm

If I first login through https://orbilogin.com/index.htm, I can change the ‘index.htm’ with ‘debug.htm’ but still just get a spinning wheel.

Thanks,

Message 20 of 38
JABuntyn
Guide

When I log on at /index.htm, I do get the regular interface. No problems managing the rtr through that interface. Just can’t access the debug.htm application/interface.

Thanks
Message 21 of 38

@JABuntyn wrote:
Just can’t access the debug.htm application/interface.

I still don't know how you are getting at that address.

Message 22 of 38
JABuntyn
Guide

Thank everyone for the comments and questions.  Great user community.

I have tried using the IP address as well.

192.168.1.1/index.htm or orbilogin.com/index.htm both go to the same place.

Once logged on and the standard interface comes up  I can manage the router from here just fine.  If I replace the 'index.htm' with 'debug.htm', I get the spinning wheel.

I've also tried 192.168.1.1/debug.htm and orbilogin.com/debug.htm.  Through both, I am prompted for the userid and password.  Then I get the spinning wheel.  I have to close the browser window because there is no recovery.

I'm using Firefox browser.

Message 23 of 38

@JABuntyn wrote:

If I replace the 'index.htm' with 'debug.htm'...

That's what I was getting at.

Message 24 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Try IE11 or Opera with 192.168.1.1/debug.htm.

I would try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch, don't load any saved backup configs from file, then try 192.168.1.1/debug.htm again.

@JABuntyn wrote:

Thank everyone for the comments and questions.  Great user community.

I have tried using the IP address as well.

192.168.1.1/index.htm or orbilogin.com/index.htm both go to the same place.

Once logged on and the standard interface comes up  I can manage the router from here just fine.  If I replace the 'index.htm' with 'debug.htm', I get the spinning wheel.

I've also tried 192.168.1.1/debug.htm and orbilogin.com/debug.htm.  Through both, I am prompted for the userid and password.  Then I get the spinning wheel.  I have to close the browser window because there is no recovery.

I'm using Firefox browser.

Message 25 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7