Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Local IP connectivity to router apparently dead while WiFi still working

Testyblahblah
Aspirant

Local IP connectivity to router apparently dead while WiFi still working

Hello,
This morning our routing stopped working. WiFi still functions. I am not a networking amateur and have custom DHCP range and numerous fixed allocations set and so do not want to just reset the router... To emphasise what is below, WiFi is fine, would not need tweaking and I couldn't anyway (web interface down).

Scenario is this:

- Woke up to no external routing after 8 months of happy Orbis
- No other routers on network, cable modem only, also tested with modem off
- Router and Satellite WiFi APs are both connectable from WiFi devices - verified by AP MAC
- Router and Satellite do pair/connect to each other successfully and offer unified LAN as it should e.g. satellite IP pingable when connected to router AP or Satellite AP
- identical behaviour regardless of which WiFi AP/MAC I am connected to e.g. ping responses or lack of responses
- router web interface no response
- router ping no response
- router port scan shows only 20005 open
- tried Telnet on Port 23 just in case I'd left it open by accident... Nothing, as expected, as I was sure it was closed.
- router and satellite restarted several times

Does this make any sense? I had not even logged into the web interface to make any changes for many, many months. Something has seriously gone wrong. Auto updating firmware was on, I think, maybe. Or maybe it was auto version checking on the web panel - don't remember....

Any help very appreciated!
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 48

Accepted Solutions
Testyblahblah
Aspirant

Re: Local IP connectivity to router apparently dead while WiFi still working

Good sanity testing fundamentals, thank you, although I have fixed this. I believe that I have revealed what can be used to diagnose the exact problem in this upgrade.

Repeated resets, repeated FW upgrades to the latest all achieved nothing. But, I immediately restored settings everytime, as per sensible guidance here. It should not have been a problem, but it was. This 'restored' the problem that the firmware introduced. This begins to make the problem isolatable by Netgear.

So, I manually created my complex DHCP fixed structure and my SSID details. And it works now. Between devices and Orbi units. I should not have to do this.

This means that something in the configuration structure does not port well between these firmware versions. I presume it has something to do with routing/iptables that this new App Armor thing has poorly implemented, regardless of whether it is enabled(!) (I do and did not have it enabled).

None of this is good news. I have two ruined days. And I would be irrational to trust my Netgear equipment. The scenario if I were travelling would be worse. If you have a NAS, an inward VPN, CCTV, alarms, Ring doorbells, Arlo or are just a modern user, you cannot trust a system or manufacturer that will destroy your network whenever it wants.

I am furious.

View solution in original post

Message 35 of 48

All Replies
Testyblahblah
Aspirant

I should also have added that a Fing network scan does find the router IP and name it as a Netgear router based on the MAC (there is only the Orbi pair of Netgears).

I guess this means the ARP tables are all correct and the router is announcing itself on its IP address correctly, despite the problems...
Message 2 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Was the FW updated last nite? 

Were seeing some that are receiving FW updates and seems the auto update is not working correctly. I would manually download v44 FW files and install them again to the system using IE11 or Firefox browser. Then factory reset once more and setup from scratch. Do a Backup config to file for safe keeping. 

@Testyblahblah wrote:
Hello,
This morning our routing stopped working. WiFi still functions. I am not a networking amateur and have custom DHCP range and numerous fixed allocations set and so do not want to just reset the router... To emphasise what is below, WiFi is fine, would not need tweaking and I couldn't anyway (web interface down).

Scenario is this:

- Woke up to no external routing after 8 months of happy Orbis
- No other routers on network, cable modem only, also tested with modem off
- Router and Satellite WiFi APs are both connectable from WiFi devices - verified by AP MAC
- Router and Satellite do pair/connect to each other successfully and offer unified LAN as it should e.g. satellite IP pingable when connected to router AP or Satellite AP
- identical behaviour regardless of which WiFi AP/MAC I am connected to e.g. ping responses or lack of responses
- router web interface no response
- router ping no response
- router port scan shows only 20005 open
- tried Telnet on Port 23 just in case I'd left it open by accident... Nothing, as expected, as I was sure it was closed.
- router and satellite restarted several times

Does this make any sense? I had not even logged into the web interface to make any changes for many, many months. Something has seriously gone wrong. Auto updating firmware was on, I think, maybe. Or maybe it was auto version checking on the web panel - don't remember....

Any help very appreciated!

Message 3 of 48
Testyblahblah
Aspirant

Thank you. Yes. Update ruined everything. Awful amateur incompetence from Netgear. Appalling.

Just discovered laptop on 5ghz works with full IP access to router.

5ghz tablet connects to WiFi, but with identical router IP issues to the 2.4ghz phones. Laptop made me think about WPA stuff, so I deleted SSID on phone and readded. Still problematic.

Probably their new Netgear Access security nonsense ruining everything. That is actually disabled, and the equivalents are too.

Disgraceful.

The router can't actually see the satellite firmware version either. Even though turns out the satellite had also auto upgraded. 'Config Sync' problem for satellite status now on Attached devices page, even though it supposedly works.

I don't want a Netgear again. So unprofessional.
Message 4 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Cna connect any wired PC or laptop to the satellite and update the FW there.

I just get this on on a RBK50 last nite. No issues. 

Tr ya factory reset of the system and setup from scratch. Besure your using default Wifi configuration. No separation of SSIDs is supported on Orbi. 

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 48
Testyblahblah
Aspirant

Also, this auto update with no choice mess is a long-standing disgrace.

Imagine you are on holiday, this happens and you have no access to your IoT devices, server, CCTV, etc. And no ability to easily bring back up remotely.

All this means that a modern home or office can't afford to waste effort and lost time on a Netgear box.

I can calculate my hourly rate of time wasted today. Multiply that everyone globally, and you have millions of dollars of damage globally, perhaps many multiple of.
Message 6 of 48
Testyblahblah
Aspirant

Thanks in any case.

(SSIDs were not seperate, only one)
Message 7 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 48
Chuck_M
Mentor

I didnt see it in the threads above... but would recommend a factory reset of the Orbi and then configure it with original SSIDs, PWs etc so that all devices reconnect as nothing happened.

Of course that doesnt help your reserved IPs etc, but I suspect that the update corrupted something that can only be resolved by a paper-clip reset (no just a power cycle).

Please let us know if you try this and how it turns out.

Good luck

Message 9 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

A reset was mentioned. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 48
Testyblahblah
Aspirant

It is disgraceful that reseting the device is a relevant suggestion. Help is appreciated, but Netgear should be ashamed.

Anyone from netgear there? Hello?

Message 11 of 48
Testyblahblah
Aspirant

Factory reset done and backed up settings reimported.

Did not work. This system remains canine excretia.

Whole day of productivity and recreation ruined across family.
Message 12 of 48
Testyblahblah
Aspirant

Netgear moderators, hello?!

I see from this forum and Reddit that I am not the only person whose network has been ruined by a supposedly premium product's new firmware
Message 13 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

I would open up a support ticket and have someone from NG help you on this. 

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

The reset should have worked to bring the system back online and if you walked thru the setup wizard, should have helped you get the system running. 

Message 14 of 48
Testyblahblah
Aspirant

I would, but their website describes it as 90 days of support (as if they are doing you a favour offering you any support for a premium system). Mine is 8 months old...

Am I wrong?
Message 15 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Make contact with a forum moderator and see if they can help you on this. 

@Blanca_O 

I think there maybe something missing or the system is bad, I don't see how the system could be bad though if only 8 months old. 

After doing the reset with a wired PC and just the RBR, do you get an IP address from the RBR? No even connected to the ISP router. 

I would try this while you wait for help. If you can get an IP address and get online with the RBR, I would fresh re-load the v44 FW file to the RBR and then reset once more and setup from scratch. I would use IE11 or Firefox browser to do this.

Just seems like maybe the RBR is in a bad state. Might even try the 30-30-30 reset as well.

Message 16 of 48
Testyblahblah
Aspirant

Thank you - appreciated.

Cable modem shouldn't matter as Netgear problem also applies when modem is off. Modem is a Virgin Media Superhub 3 (made Arris maybe). It is in modem mode when not off.

@Blanca_O can you please review? I am extremely unhappy and have already investigated credit card reverse charging for these Orbi units.

Thank you
Message 17 of 48
Testyblahblah
Aspirant

I should have added that LAN DHCP has always been successfully working, IP addresses seen as allocated both on the router and on the devices themselves (including the problem devices receiving DHCP allocations, including any DHCP amendments). This is true before and after reset.

This means to.me that something further up the network stack has been ruined on the router
Message 18 of 48
Testyblahblah
Aspirant

FYI extra detail

I telneted into the router and was unable to ping one of the problem devices.

To summarise relevant points from above again:
The device receives an address via DHCP
It can ping the satellite, even when connected to the router wifi AP MAC
But it cannot ping the router and is unpingable from the router telnet terminal
Internet is obviously therefore inaccessible, as is router web interface

None of the above applies or applied to the laptop on 5ghz, which remains fine with no issues at all.

Two Huawei phones on 2.4ghz and one Samsung tablet on 5ghz have dead IP connectivity since your firmware update
Message 19 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem is relevant to the situation. Need to check to see what modem configuration is being used and what kind of modem. Since your modem already has a router and wifi built in and you have it in full bridge mode, then this wouldn't effect it if it's in full modem mode. 

It does sound like someting interior to the RBR is broke due to this update and needs to be addressed by NG support. I would ask for an RMA. Hopefully the moderator will help to solve this. 

Good Luck. 

Message 20 of 48
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Testyblahblah wrote:

>> Just discovered laptop on 5ghz works with full IP access to router...

It implies that the Router routing function is working for normal 5G wireless band since the labtop can ping its interface.

>> 'Config Sync' problem for satellite status now on Attached devices page...

>> 5ghz tablet connects to WiFi, but with identical router IP issues to the 2.4ghz phones.

This implies that the wireless backhaul is not working, because the Orbi router wouldn't be giving out duplicate IP to two different devices.  One reason that this could happen is that one of these devices has not been able to renew its IP address.  Therefore, it continues to use its old IP address until its lease expires or at least until it can talk the router via the Satellite's backhaul to get a new IP address.

Try turning off the Satellite to force the problematic device to connect the router and see if it gets a new IP address or not.  That will give you an idea if the router is behaving properly.  If the device gets a new IP address and can ping the router interface, then the problem is the wireless backhaul.

>> Two Huawei phones on 2.4ghz and one Samsung tablet on 5ghz have dead IP connectivity...

Are these connected to the Satellite or the Router?

Message 21 of 48
bym051d
Aspirant

I just got the latest firmware as well and am experiencing the same issue.

I used to be able to use Splashtop to remote connect to my desktop computer from my iPad or iPhone. Now, it thinks I’m on a different network and won’t let me connect.

If I use my cell phone service and connect to VPN, I can use Splashtop without issue.

Message 22 of 48
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

>> If I use my cell phone service and connect to VPN, I can use Splashtop without issue.

This means that the router is working fine and there's a wireless communication problem with the Satellite.

Try this and see if Splashtop works again:

- Use a wire backhaul between the Router and Satellite

- or -

- Disconnect the iPhone/iPad from the Satellite and reconnect to the Rotuer

If Splashtop works, you might want to go back to v210 and lock it down until the next version comes out.

Message 23 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

I would start a new thread and see if we can help you get your system running. 

@bym051d wrote:

I just got the latest firmware as well and am experiencing the same issue.

I used to be able to use Splashtop to remote connect to my desktop computer from my iPad or iPhone. Now, it thinks I’m on a different network and won’t let me connect.

If I use my cell phone service and connect to VPN, I can use Splashtop without issue.

Message 24 of 48
Testyblahblah
Aspirant

@SW_ wrote:

@Testyblahblah wrote:

Thanks for input, but:

>> Just discovered laptop on 5ghz works with full IP access to router...

>>> It implies that the Router routing function is working for normal 5G wireless band since the labtop can ping its interface.

Nope, sadly. As above. 5ghz tablet same issues as 2.4Ghz devices and 5ghz IoT devices also killed. This another reason why it is clearly a routing issue, rather than wifi.

>> 'Config Sync' problem for satellite status now on Attached devices page...

>> 5ghz tablet connects to WiFi, but with identical router IP issues to the 2.4ghz phones.

>>>This implies that the wireless backhaul is not working, because the Orbi router wouldn't be giving out duplicate IP to two different devices.  One reason that this could happen is that one of these devices has not been able to renew its IP address.  Therefore, it continues to use its old IP address until its lease expires or at least until it can talk the router via the Satellite's backhaul to get a new IP address.

There are no duplicate IP addreses. The issue is apparently routing. All leases were force renewed. As above, this was verified by ARP scans and on devices, correlating to entries on router web interface.

>>> Try turning off the Satellite to force the problematic device to connect the router and see if it gets a new IP address or not.  That will give you an idea if the router is behaving properly.  If the device gets a new IP address and can ping the router interface, then the problem is the wireless backhaul.

As above, the wifi backhaul is working enough for the pattern routing failure/success across the backhaul. The config sync story seems to symtomatic of something referred to in other forums, perhaps a symptom of the overall mess also affecting IP over the wifi backhaul between satellite and router. This also correlates to the router not being able to determine the current firmware version on the satellite (which is also on the latest firmware)

>> Two Huawei phones on 2.4ghz and one Samsung tablet on 5ghz have dead IP connectivity...

>>> Are these connected to the Satellite or the Router?

As above, whether on either.

Message 25 of 48
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 47 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7