Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Locked out of Orbi network - cannot reset password

johnbday
Tutor

Locked out of Orbi network - cannot reset password

RBR 50 based network with wired backhaul (Cat 6A cable, Netgear rounter). After double power outage cannot log into network to administer using either Mac Pro desktop or app on iPad - old password fails; when I pull up password recovery screens and enter Serial Number I get two security questions (brother's first name; father's middle name), the only correct answers to which also fail. Netgear direct assistance lapsed a month ago.  Any ideas on next steps?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Locked out of Orbi network - cannot reset password

Easiest option is to reset it. 

Hold the rest button on the back for 7-10 seconds. It'll reset it back to factory and then you can redo it. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Easiest option is to reset it. 

Hold the rest button on the back for 7-10 seconds. It'll reset it back to factory and then you can redo it. 

Message 2 of 4
johnbday
Tutor

Thanks.

Reset it (albeit via pinhole per instruction video) and then (also per instruction video) reset both satellites and completely configured network from the ground up. Not something I would want to do regularly, especially with networked smart home devices (Haiku fans; Ecobee thermostats) all (meaning each) of which had to be re-synched to the Orbi WiFi network.

Is this a common condition after a power outage? Here in northern Vermont they are 'not unheard of' and I was hoping that absent a power surge the Orbi network would be resilient enough to reboot itself and function, instead of requiring a reset.  Any thoughts much appreciated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Make a backup of your configuration. So next time it goes a little faster.
Advanced>administration > backup.
Also a UPS is great for places that get frequent power surges or outages. Since I started buying more expensive of gear, I've made sure it's all protected.
The orbi is pretty resilient but the more complex networking gear gets, the more susceptible it is to errors. Power surges are great at wrecking equipment.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7