Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multiple Orbi network systems in the neighborhood - known issues?

jgrb_LA
Aspirant

Multiple Orbi network systems in the neighborhood - known issues?

Hello,

I am the 'IT / Security' volunteer for our building HOA. I am NOT a professional but am comfortable with tech in general so have been nominated 🙂 I am currently working on a solution for extending our business internet line that comes into our parking garage to various locations on the property in order to power a security camera system (RING). I plan on using an Orbi Router paired with a couple of outdoor satellites in order to cover about 6000 sq/ft and needs to go through a couple of thick cement walls.

An additional piece of information is that in our 10-unit building, 4 of us use an Orbi Mesh system for our individual apartment wifi (each unit has dedicated wifi running into their units.

My question is whether there are any known issues with having so many multiple Orbi networks in a single location? Any configurations for our individual or building Orbi systems that would be beneficial (Such as assigning a  channel vs Auto)?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Multiple Orbi network systems in the neighborhood - known issues?

@jgrb_LA wrote:

I am currently working on a solution for extending our business internet line that comes into our parking garage to various locations on the property in order to power a security camera system (RING). I plan on using an Orbi Router paired with a couple of outdoor satellites in order to cover about 6000 sq/ft and needs to go through a couple of thick cement walls.

An additional piece of information is that in our 10-unit building, 4 of us use an Orbi Mesh system for our individual apartment wifi (each unit has dedicated wifi running into their units.

My question is whether there are any known issues with having so many multiple Orbi networks in a single location? Any configurations for our individual or building Orbi systems that would be beneficial (Such as assigning a  channel vs Auto)?

In most appartment complexes these days, every unit has WiFi. The brand does not matter. They all compete with each other. Since Ring cameras use 2.4G, they will be in the most congested frequency spectrum.  Trying to avoid problems by assigning a channel to this Orbi will be futile because all of the other WiFi systems will change channels constantly as they look for "the best one (right now)".

Concrete walls are a serious issue.  WiFi signals are degraded a lot by concrete & rebar.  Perhaps it would be helpful to attach a rough drawing of the property showing where the Orbi units and cameras are planned and where these concrete walls are.

How are these cameras going to be powered?

• If, by chance, an electrician will be running conduit to locate electrical outlets near the cameras, then installing outdoor rated ethernet cable at the same time would not add much to the cost.
  • If there is existing electrical power at the camera locations, then perhaps Powerline could be used to carry ethernet signals to the cameras.
  • Battery powered cameras are often ill-suited when capturing motion.
Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% will be helpful aswell. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Having Orbi users turn down the power output of there wifi will make the broadcast foot print small thus causing less interence with other Orbi wifi near by. Wifi doesn't really need to be broadcast out side the home unless you have home base properties. Then some can be of course.

Welcome to congested wifi internerence. Smiley Embarassed

Message 3 of 7
vajim
Master

I'll offer 2 points

6000 sq ft is a challenge for any router / satellite 

wifi channel is best left to auto.   As soon as you set it to a certain channel you can actually watch that channel become congested.   Auto channel select will allow the router to do what you paid for it to do 

Good luck 

Message 4 of 7
jgrb_LA
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply @FURRYe38 and makes sense on the power settings.

Also, I have seen in some of your previous posts that you do recommend setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz - do you still recommend this?

Message 5 of 7
jgrb_LA
Aspirant

Thanks @CrimpOn  - WIRED is ALWAYS better 🙂 We are trying to save some cost by not running physical wire but to all your points, this might be the best (most stable) solution. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try them and see. If you can find a wireless anyalyzer to install on a pad, these will give you some channel and signal information on what your neighbors are using. You can adjust the channels accordingly to help avoid what your neighbors maybe using. 

@jgrb_LA wrote:

Thanks for your reply @FURRYe38 and makes sense on the power settings.

Also, I have seen in some of your previous posts that you do recommend setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz - do you still recommend this?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7