× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My RBK14 router did not come with a password

Michelli69
Aspirant

My RBK14 router did not come with a password

My router did not come with a password, therefore use is unprotected. How do I create one?

Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: My RBK14 router did not come with a password

Use a PC or laptop wire connected to the RBR and log into the RBRs web page use a web browser and setup a wifi SSID PW. 

Please review the user manual as well for addtional help and information. 

Message 2 of 15
Michelli69
Aspirant

Thanks! Didn't understand any of it but I'm sure I can find someone who does. Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 15
Michelli69
Aspirant

Thanks.

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@Michelli69 wrote:

My router did not come with a password, therefore use is unprotected. How do I create one?

Sometimes it helps to specify which "password" is missing.  When the Orbi comes "out of the box", it is supposed to have two "passwords."

1. The WiFi password is printed on the product label, along with the default WiFi name (SSID).
  2. The administrative login to the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net) is user "admin" and password "password".  Not very 'secure', but not 'missing'.

It would help to know how this Orbi was set up (using a web browser or using the Orbi "app")

Message 7 of 15
Michelli69
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. There was no Wifi password printed on the product label below the SSID, that space is blank.

Orbi was set up manually using the app. (barcode scanning wasn't recognized). Despite correct step-by-step manual setup, it still returned a "Router Not Found" message. Issues all around.

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

See if you can connect using a wired connected PC to the router.

Message 9 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@Michelli69 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. There was no Wifi password printed on the product label below the SSID, that space is blank.

If this came from a local store, I would return it for one that has a correct label.  See page 15 of the User Manual:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK12/RBK12_13_14_UM_EN.pdf 

@Michelli69 wrote:

Despite correct step-by-step manual setup, it still returned a "Router Not Found" message. Issues all around.

The App said it could not find the Orbi?

More "news to me" is that the "10" series Orbi is different from the previous Orbi models:

• The QR Code setup, which is similar to setup found on IP cameras, security doorbells, etc.
    No previous Orbi has had that. Sad that (apparently) it doesn't work.
  • Instead of giving each Orbi an SSID of "ORBIxx", it looks like the "10" series come with a default SSID of "Orbi_setup", probably with no password.  (The idea being that during setup the user will be bludgeoned (encouraged) into changing it and setting a password.

I agree with @FURRYe38 that using a web browser appears to be the only alternative since the Orbi app has failed.  Either a laptop or desktop with an ethernet cable, or something with WiFi and a web browser.  Surely "Orbi-setup" will appear as a WiFi network to join?

Message 10 of 15
Michelli69
Aspirant

You're correct, my "10" series comes with a default SSID of "Orbi_setup", and no password. And yes, "Orbi-setup" appears as a WiFi network to join, but I get the "Router not found" error message. 

Many thanks to both you and @FURRYe38. I will try your recommendations with fingers crossed. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

When typing my  response, I realize that I forgot to go back and remove the snarky comment about returning a product with no password under the SSID.  The picture of the product label on page 15 of the manual makes pretty clear that (1) the SSID is only intended to be used for setup, and (2) there seems to be no password.

This forum is often a humbling experience.

Message 12 of 15
Michelli69
Aspirant

Smiley LOL

Message 13 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

I have long suspected that the Orbi App is the spawn of the Devil. 

Message 14 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Another "feature" of the new Orbi "10" product line is that satellites are compatible ONLY with the RBR10 router, not any other Orbi router.  So all previous advice that "Any Orbi satellite will connect" to (xx) Orbi router is no longer valid.  And, my guess is that the only Orbi satellites that will connect to the RBR10 router are RBS10 satellites. Hmmm. wonder about the RBS50Y "outdoor" satellite?  Guess time will tell.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7