Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Orbi Mesh System........ HELP

NayNay
Follower

Netgear Orbi Mesh System........ HELP

HELP ..........

Apologies in advance. I'm completely hopeless when it comes to computers etc. Our internet modem is currently in the garage (front of the house) Its always been slow. We have put an office up stairs and need the internet to reach that room (back of house upstairs). I have been looking at the Netgear Orbi mesh system and was ready to purchase. The site I was ordering from said it may not work and I can't return it. It's a lot of money to spend on something if it does'nt work. Thoughts please?????

All help is greatly apppreciated

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Netgear Orbi Mesh System........ HELP

@NayNay wrote:

The site I was ordering from said it may not work and I can't return it. It's a lot of money to spend on something if it does'nt work. Thoughts please?????

Cannot be returned?  Are you in the US?  Amazon and Best Buy both carry Orbi and allow returns.  I share your concern.

How it will perform depends on the distance between the modem and the back of the house and the physical construction of the house.  Basically, the satellite needs to be approximately 30 ft. from the router and should project a good signal for 30 or more additional ft.  A typical garage is 25 from front to back.  A long ethernet cable can be used to place the router toward the front of the garage.  The key is to have as little dense material in the path directly between the router and satellite.

There are all sorts of options:

Are you able to run an ethernet cable from the modem location to the office location?

Or, are you able to relocate the modem to the back of the house?

If this is a typical cable system that was originally run from a box near the street to the wall of the garage, it is a typical "handyman" activity to extend the RG6 cable around to the back of the house.

There are inexpensive WiFi "extenders" that can be placed half way between your existing router and the office.

What I (personally) have done is purchase a pair of Powerline adapters.  Locate one where the existing router is and the other in the office.  Then connect an inexpensive gigabit switch to the office Powerline adapter and either (a) connect the office equipment to the switch, or (b) connect a WiFi access point to the switch (or an Orbi satellite).

There is also MoCHA, which is like Powerline only it uses the cable TV coax cable that is in so many homes.

Perhaps if you could make a rough drawing of the building and attach it we can make a better guess.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7