× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Computer Wifi

Nova17
Aspirant

Re: New Computer Wifi

Screenshot attached.  I might be going mad.  I swear I changed these settings to "Get Dynamically from ISP" but they seem to have reverted to static.  I assume these should be changed and saved?  I will say, I'm 99% sure I was having this same issue when the DHCP was active.  Does Orbi have the capability to automatically change this setting?  I assume the answer is no.

Message 26 of 56
CrimpOn
Guru

After the Orbi configuration is reset to DHCP rather than static,

What resources do you have to "double check" what is going on?

Are you able to:

• Use the Windows DOS command
    ipconfig /all
    to display the status of the network adapters?
    and use a separate device (computer, tablet, etc.) to
  • Display the Orbi "Attached Devices" web page
    from the Orbi at 192.168.1.1?

What I would expect to see is a match between what shows up on ipconfig and on the Attached Devices display.

The network adapter information should match:

• IP address should be the same
  • MAC address should be the same
  • ipconfig should show the adapter
    subnet 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.1
    DNS server 192.168.1.1

Message 27 of 56
Mstrbig
Master

It depends on how you have your ISP modem/router configuration.

Mine is set to IP address Get Dynamically from ISP, DNS Get automatically from ISP. 

My Orbi is set as a router,as my ISP modem only distributes the one IP address from the provider.

Make sure your DHCP server is disabled on your ISP modem/router. Otherwise change your Orbi to AP mode.

Have you factory reset the Orbi and started from the beginning? Orbi is real good at detecting what the ISP modem is offering and configuring itself accordingly. 

Message 28 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

As of now, I have my ISP gateway set to bridge mode and the Orbi in router mode.  I am wondering if it is worth turning off bridge mode on the ISP gateway and turning on AP mode on the Orbi.

This past Sunday I did factroy reset both Orbi and the ISP gateway.  I thought that solved the issue but as soon as I relocated my PC back to my room, back to square one.

Message 29 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

I tried something I should have already tried.  The Orbi is unplugged.  The ISP gateway is in router/modem mode.  I'm currently on the 2.4GHz network wifi.  It is working at the moment.  I cannot seem to connect to the 5GHz.

I noticed the ethernet connection was capping out at ~230mbps.  I'm sitting next to my ISP gateway on the 2.4GHz network and I'm capping out at ~40mbps.

I am going to try powering up the Orbi to see if it makes any difference.

Message 30 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

Well.  Currently, I can only connect the new PC to the ISP gateway's 2.4GHz wifi network, unless I'm hardwired, which I'm not at the moment.

I fired up the Orbi in AP mode and the other devices in the house seem to connect to the Orbi's network just fine.  I haven't noticed any difference in speed/performance.

I tried connecting the new PC to the Orbi's network and it is still not functioning...but only with the new PC still.  

Message 31 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

Sorry for the delay!  I completely missed this reply.

Sorry x2 for the follow up question.  Does the Orbi need to be in router mode, as opposed to AP mode in order to adjust the DHCP settings?  I had adjusted them back to dynamic but then put the Orbi in AP mode and turned off bridge mode on my ISP gateway.

I can definitely run ipconfig and access both gateways.  Is this information something safe to share on this kind of public forum, or will that jeapordize my privacy/security?

Message 32 of 56
CrimpOn
Guru

@Nova17 wrote:

I can definitely run ipconfig and access both gateways.  Is this information something safe to share on this kind of public forum, or will that jeapordize my privacy/security?

The internal (private) IP addresses should not be sensitive information. Same for subnet mask, gateway, DNS server.  The MAC address does give away the manufacturer code.  I very much doubt that it would be useful to anyone.

Message 33 of 56
Mstrbig
Master

If your ISP router is in router mode, the DHCP server should be running. Then the IP addresses wil be distributed by the ISP router and your Orbi should be in AP mode. Regarding the PC, does the network card support 5ghz or is it an older 2.4 ghz card, since it will only connect 2.4ghz
Message 34 of 56
CrimpOn
Guru

Product data sheet for the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168. claims it is a dual band "AC" WiFi card.

Message 35 of 56
CrimpOn
Guru

This "2.4G only" issue seems like a folllow-on question that calls for a fresh start now that the PC is connecting to the Orbi.  i.e.

• Will this card connect to any other 5G WiFi, such as a smartphone hot spot?
  • Is the 5G antenna connector attached?
  • Is there any driver setting that favors 2.4G over 5G?

Message 36 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

I actually do not know how old/new the wireless adapter is.  I think the wireless adapter is integrated with my motherboard (https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20B450%20Gaming-ITXac/)

I tried to connect to the 5GHz but it fails to connect.

Message 37 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

I attached the ipconfig results and Orbi attached device details for my new PC.

Message 38 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

Orbi attached device details.

Message 39 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

The first ipconfig file I attached was when I was connected to the ISP gateway.  I was also hardwired in order to access the Orbi attached devices.  I could not access the Orbi via orbilogin.net unless I was hardwired.  I tried while on the ISP network but got the page "you are not connect to an Orbi network"

This attachment is ipconfig run with the ethernet disabled and "connected" to the Orbi network.  No internet access though.

Message 40 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

I restarted the PC but still cannot connect to the 5GHz.  I was able to connect to my father-in-law's iPhone hotspot without any issues.

The only two antennas I know of are the two on the back of the PC.  I am not sure if they are 5G specific?

Regarding your question about the driver, I am not sure.  

Message 41 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

Attached is from my ISP gateway.

Message 42 of 56
CrimpOn
Guru

@Nova17 wrote:

The only two antennas I know of are the two on the back of the PC.  I am not sure if they are 5G specific?

I wish the Intel web site had more explicit pictures of this WiFi card.  It appears to have two tiny connectors for cables that run from the card to antennas that are placed on the case.  The "old WiFi cards" that I have seen in the past were full size PC cards where the antenna connectors were actually mounted on the part of the card that faced the outside of the case.

None of this matters if the PC was able  to connect to ANY WiFi network at 5G (hot spot, Starbucks, whatever).

Message 43 of 56
CrimpOn
Guru

I keep seeing things that "make no sense" to me, which I believe is a result of the setup changing constantly.

Is it possible to connect the work MacBook to the Orbi web interface?  That is, use the MacBook to look at the Attached Devices page rather than the PC.  Any time a change is made, wait two minutes and then "Refresh" the Attached Devices page.

The Xfinity device is in bridge mode, connected to the Orbi WAN (Yellow) ethernet jack.

There is NO WiFi signal from the Xfinity. 

The Xfinity passes its public IP address to the Orbi router.

This IP address is something like 172.12.16.144.

The Orbi reports this address as its WAN (Public) IP address.

The Orbi defines its LAN address as 10.0.0.1

Every device that connects to the Orbi gets an IP address in the 10.0.0.x subnet.

When the new PC is connected to the Orbi using an ethernet cable (the router or any satellite)

• The Orbi Attached Devices shows it connected with an IP address of 10.0.0.(something) and shows the MAC address of A8:A1:59:32:EE:E6
  • The Orbi Attached Devices shows the PC connection as "Wired"
  • The ipconfig command on the PC shows the same IP address for the ethernet connector.
    The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
    The gateway is 10.0.0.1
    The DNS server is 10.0.0.1
  • The PC has internet access.

When the ethernet cable is disconnected and the PC is connected to the Orbi over WiFi

• The Orbi Attached Devices shows the PC connected with an IP address of 10.0.0.(something) and shows the MAC address of C8:58:C0:B2:A5:5C
  • The Attached Devices shows the PC connection as "WiFi" (2.4G or 5G)
  • The ipconfig command on the PC shows the same IP address for the WiFi adapter
    The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
    The gateway is 10.0.0.1
    The DNS server is 10.0.0.1
  • The PC has internet access

Where in this sequence is the result different?

Message 44 of 56
Mstrbig
Master

Are you sure you followed the below link to configue bridge mode on your Xfinity router?

At this point I would start from scratch

Disconnect the Orbi and turn it off

Then reset the Xfinity and re-configure and follow below link instructions.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode

Factory reset the Orbi system

Connect the Orbi router to the Xfinity router

Use the Orbi app and follow  the instructions to configure your Orbi router

Continue to setup the Orbi satellites in the same room as the Orbi router, then move them to your locations.

Your WIFI card supports 5G. So if you are not getting 5G, there may be an issue with the motherboard. I would check your bios settings or contact the manufacturer. I would test to see if you can connect 5G on your Xfinity router to rule out a defective card.

Message 45 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

I will get back to you ASAP with the results.  One question, if the ISP gateway is in bridge mode, should the Orbi stay in router mode (as opposed to AP mode)?

Message 46 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

I will likely be trying these options today as well.

Message 47 of 56
Mstrbig
Master

@Nova17 wrote:

I will get back to you ASAP with the results.  One question, if the ISP gateway is in bridge mode, should the Orbi stay in router mode (as opposed to AP mode)?

I would let the Orbi decide based on what it sees during install. Just follow the defaults and let's see if it installs correctly.

If you are going wired backhaul, turn off daisy chaining, after installed and satellites are plugged in. 

Message 48 of 56
CrimpOn
Guru

@Nova17 wrote:

There must be at least one "router".  With the Xfinity in bridge mode, the router will be the Orbi.

Message 49 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

I'm at step one.  I factory reset the ISP gateway.  Restarted the PC.  I have the ethernet hardwired from the ISP gateway to the PC.

I have good news and bad news.  It appears that the 5GHz issue is resolved based on the attached picture.  The ISP gateway shows a 5G wifi connection.  I am logged into the ISP gateway over ethernet at 10.0.0.1.

Physical addresses match. 

Bad news, connected to wifi, but no internet.

Even with the Orbi out of the picture, the problem persists.

Message 50 of 56
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 55 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7