Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Intel NUC Computer - Cannot communicate with or ping some network IP devices

DanInGA
Tutor

New Intel NUC Computer - Cannot communicate with or ping some network IP devices

I recently purchased this device (device details below) as a replacement for an existing HP laptop I used as a home security and automation server.   After full configuration, I have run into a peculiar problem I cannot seem to solve.  For some reason, the Intel NUC computer cannot communicate nor ping SOME of the IP cameras, Global Cache TV Controllers and other devices as if it was connected to a separate network, which it is not.

All devices are connected to my home network via a Netgear Orbi Mesh router (1 router, 1 satellite).  All devices are accessible and pingable via my other 3 computers with no issues. The IP cameras it does not "see" are the same brand, model and firmware as the ones it does. It has no issues with one of the Global Cache IP to IR controllers, again, same brand, model, firmware and network as the one it has problems with.

I've attempted to rebuild the TCP/IP Stack, Reset the Winsock, Rebooted the router and computer, even went as powering off the router and satellite, powering off ALL networked devices and only bringing on the NUC and the devices in question. Still no go.

Any suggestions?

Netgear Orbi 

Hardware Version RBR50
Firmware Version V2.7.4.24
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.423

Intel® Client Systems NUC

BIOS
Version

Date
7/10/2023
MOTHERBOARD
Manufacturer
Intel Corporation
Model
NUC10i7FNB
Version
M38062-307
OPERATING SYSTEM
Edition
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)
Version (Build)
22H2 (10.0.22621)

Devices and Drivers

PROCESSOR

Intel® Core™ i7-10710U CPU @ 1.10GHz

GRAPHICS

Microsoft Remote Display Adapter

Intel® UHD Graphics

AUDIO

Intel® Display Audio

NETWORKING AND I/O

Intel® Ethernet Connection (10) I219-V

Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz

Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)

Thunderbolt Controller 1

Intel® Wireless Bluetooth®

MEMORY

64 GB

STORAGE

WD Green SN350 1TB

OTHER

Genesys Logic PCIE card reader device

TPS659xx Device

Intel® Management Engine Interface

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
DanInGA
Tutor

Re: New Intel NUC Computer - Cannot communicate with or ping some network IP devices

I wish that was the issue, since I've had it set to "Private Network" since day one, that would have saved me a lot of time and aggravation.

So one thing that came to mind was that maybe the issue could be that I have the Netgear Router with an IP Reservation for this and 4 other computers.  While it worked fine for the others, including the one this NUC is replacing, I though maybe something in the NUC does not handle that well.  So I deleted the IP reservation, set the DHCP settings on the NUC to manual and assigned it the needed static IP there.  Problem continued.  Some devices were visible on the NUC, some where not.  Hmmm...

Finally, I FOUND THE PROBLEM and temporary solution/workaround...  Netgear Orbi's ACCESS CONTROL.  I've always had access control enabled, and set to "Block all new devices from connecting".  This allows new devices to connect to the WiFi, but then lists them as "Blocked" allowing you to either "Allow" or leave blocked if not recognized.  I mean, who knew this could be the issue?!?!  It is supposed to either block or allow the connection, not allow it and only let the device see some devices but not others..  Well, apparently, setting the Intel NUC's connection to "Allow" is not sufficient as it doesn't fully open all communication.  

On a hunch, I figured I would try disabling access control completely, and suddenly all network devices were visible on the Intel NUC.  To confirm, I enabled Access control again, the issue came back.  Disabled, the issue was gone again.

So, that is my fix/workaround for now.  I would still like to figure out a way to make the NUC's network connection work properly and fully with access control enabled, but for now, I'm happy to finally pinpoint the culprit.  

If anyone knows of any setting, etc. that can correct this behavior, I welcome your input.  

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 15

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: New Intel NUC Computer - Cannot communicate with or ping some network IP devices

How is this new computer connected to the network:

• Ethernet?
  • WiFi?

Does the Orbi web interface Attached Devices display match the computer information? (IP address, MAC address?)

Is there any pattern to the IP addresses that cannot be reached?

Message 2 of 15
DanInGA
Tutor

Thanks for asking.  The new Intel NUC computer is connected via Ethernet and shows in the Orbi Router Config interface in Attached Devices under Connected Devices with matching MAC and static IP, as well as in Access Control as "Allowed".  

There does not appear to be a pattern in the IP's it cannot seem to communicate with, other than that they are connected via WiFi, but it sees all the other WiFi devices.  Most of the ones it cannot see are 2.4 Ghz, while two are 5 Ghz.  Oddly, it 'sees' plenty others on both bands of the same brand, config, firmware, etc.

I did find one article pointing to the Bios C-State setting as the cause of a computer not seeing all network devices, however, the Bios of the Intel NUC does not even show that setting (or it is called something different).  So back to square one..

Message 3 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Three computers behave normally and one does not.  "points the finger" at some obscure setting on the Intel machine.

Might be useful to switch the connection to WiFi.  The Intel AX201 is more advanced than the Orbi WiFi, but should be backward compatible.

Message 4 of 15
DanInGA
Tutor

Agreed..  All is good with 3-4 other computers on the same network with the same other devices.  The only issue is with the new computer so something definitely is as issue with it.  

I did switch it to WiFi connection (Disconnected Ethernet cable, enabed WiFi, connected to my WiFi network), still the same issue.  I rebooted, checked again, same.  Checked network settings again, I can't seem to find what setting may be causing some IP devices to not be visible while others are.  

Message 5 of 15

@DanInGA wrote:

Agreed..  All is good with 3-4 other computers on the same network with the same other devices.  The only issue is with the new computer so something definitely is as issue with it.  

Any chance that it is the usual "public network" issue in Windows?

Windows likes to protect us from new networks that might be evil. In  reality, it often shuts us out of safe networks.

One thought is that you could tell Windows that you are on a "private network".

• Network and Internet settings
  • Properties
  • Private

This has worked for me and others in the same boat.

Message 6 of 15
DanInGA
Tutor

I wish that was the issue, since I've had it set to "Private Network" since day one, that would have saved me a lot of time and aggravation.

So one thing that came to mind was that maybe the issue could be that I have the Netgear Router with an IP Reservation for this and 4 other computers.  While it worked fine for the others, including the one this NUC is replacing, I though maybe something in the NUC does not handle that well.  So I deleted the IP reservation, set the DHCP settings on the NUC to manual and assigned it the needed static IP there.  Problem continued.  Some devices were visible on the NUC, some where not.  Hmmm...

Finally, I FOUND THE PROBLEM and temporary solution/workaround...  Netgear Orbi's ACCESS CONTROL.  I've always had access control enabled, and set to "Block all new devices from connecting".  This allows new devices to connect to the WiFi, but then lists them as "Blocked" allowing you to either "Allow" or leave blocked if not recognized.  I mean, who knew this could be the issue?!?!  It is supposed to either block or allow the connection, not allow it and only let the device see some devices but not others..  Well, apparently, setting the Intel NUC's connection to "Allow" is not sufficient as it doesn't fully open all communication.  

On a hunch, I figured I would try disabling access control completely, and suddenly all network devices were visible on the Intel NUC.  To confirm, I enabled Access control again, the issue came back.  Disabled, the issue was gone again.

So, that is my fix/workaround for now.  I would still like to figure out a way to make the NUC's network connection work properly and fully with access control enabled, but for now, I'm happy to finally pinpoint the culprit.  

If anyone knows of any setting, etc. that can correct this behavior, I welcome your input.  

Message 7 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Admire the perseverance.  I have never enabled Access Control, and your experience confirms my position.  I am as paranoid as anyone else (well, obviously not if Fox News is any indication), but If  someone can crack my WiFi password, they are welcome to share my internet.  (Internet search says it might take 4 billion years.)

Message 8 of 15

@CrimpOn wrote:

Admire the perseverance. 

Indeed. Good detective work. But given the obscure nature of the problem, it isn't surprising that no one thought of that earlier.

Message 9 of 15
DanInGA
Tutor

Indeed..  However, I use access control primarily as a simple way (without paying a subscription) to limit/restrict my pre-teens' tech/internet use especially when there are behavior issues.  Use as external unauthorized access prevention is only secondary for me, and would not even be a thought if I wasn't in a high tech area surrounded by neighbors and teens that have nothing better to do and like to try their hand at hacking.  

I've had Access Control enabled for over 4 years and 46+ devices, trouble-free until now.  

Message 10 of 15
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @DanInGA

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are having issues with your access control with your RBR50 on firmware version 2.7.4.24. I have also noted that you did not have an issue with this configuration before.  Please try updating your RBR50 to the most recent firmware version 2.4.5.4 and then enabling the access control after you designated a static IP address to restart your NUC. 

Navigate to the link below for the download file for your RBR50: 
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50#download

For step-by-step instructions on how to manually update your RBK50 please navigate to the link below:
https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 11 of 15
DanInGA
Tutor

Thank you.  One of the first things I did was check for firmware updates for all devices in question, including the Netgear RBR50 and satellite and it showed up to date.  I checked again just now and same.

8-14-2023 2-10-57 PM.jpgAs I would rather not be a beta tester for firmware, can you advise as to when this firmware update became available and why it does not show on the router firmware check?

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Some FW updates are not pushed by NG and need to be manually updated thus won't be seen on the RBRs check FW option. 

The version mentioned was released in February of this year and is available for download and manually updating:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Wi-Fi-5-AC-and-Orbi-with/New-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-7-...

Message 13 of 15

@DanInGA wrote:

One of the first things I did was check for firmware updates for all devices in question, including the Netgear RBR50 and satellite and it showed up to date. 

As @FURRYe38 says, this is not a reliable test. It is so bad that Netgear really needs to put some effort into fixing the problem.

There are various ways of checking for firmware updates – automatic updates, apps and tests in the browser graphical user interface (GUI) for example – but only one test is reliable. All the others have proved to be wrong in the past.

Use the GUI  to find out which version you have. Then visit the support pages for your device and look for the newest version.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Look for the model number on the label on the device.

That site will have a library of firmware for your device. Look for the newest.

Message 14 of 15
DanInGA
Tutor

Thanks everyone.  I am familiar with the manual update process as I've done it that way several times.  However having been one to always jump on the latest and greatest and keep firmware on the newest version, I have learned that this isn't always necessarily a good thing.  Firmware update, especially relatively recent ones can sometimes cause other unexpected issues.

So, since the problem is fixed by simply disabling Access Control, and I do not have time to run into new potential problems, I will take my time now researching this new firmware version to see if anyone has experienced any issues with it.  Once I am comfortable with moving forward have more time to do so, I will perform the firmware update, reboots, testing, etc.

Thanks again all!

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7